KK: Milner going nowhere

jimmymag

Guest musika

let's just say the foreign posters rate Milner significantly more than the rest of us. Musika what on earth are you talking about?

My point is you don't have to be world class at 22 to be world class at 26. I think we've been trying to mold Milner into the wrong position all along.

let's just say the foreign posters rate Milner significantly more than the rest of us. Musika what on earth are you talking about?

My point is you don't have to be world class at 22 to be world class at 26. I think we've been trying to mold Milner into the wrong position all along.

you generally have to be good at 22 though. In terms of ability he's just about the worst winger i've ever seen at nufc

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:Ox3RnunHKr0o-M:http://www.madeirawineguide.com/pics/non-invasive-flashed-cork-pic.jpg

James Milner

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:KbsPoaR0A9qAtM:http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00452/milner_280x390_452062a.jpg

Bottleneck.

Doesnt really work, but irrespective of that, I think im turning into Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde when it comes to Milner. On the one hand, Milner's a half decent right winger who can create the odd chance and can trouble a decent fullback when on form. And he's young, and works hard for the team. On the other, Milner's a hard working but head-down, poor quality, repetitive solo player who I would lump in with Duff, Smith and Ameobi (and when hes having a stinker, Butt) as players who contribute to the team as a whole playing less effectively when on the pitch than a bog standard average player would if he were playing in their position.

As an example, I bet you if Geremi starts instead of Milner, we'll be seeing -

1) Slightly more, slighty better quality possession

2) More chances created

3) Better performances all round by those connected to the position in question, e.g. Beye.

4) Slightly quicker team moves

Much like we did at the end of last season. And as we all know, Geremi is s*** in terms of a first teamer for where we want to be. He's a player who's legs have effectively gone, and the rest of his game is pretty average. Noone would pay 6-8 million for Geremi, but they'll do so for Milner because he's youngish, English, works hard, and looks good on highlights (where they dont show the 20 s*** crosses he'll put in). For this side of Milner, I say cash in irrespective of having a direct replacement or not (Zog can be moved up).

See the problem with that comparison is that Geremi is 29 and Mliner is 22. You might have a point for this season, but that reason alone isn't enough to justify offloading Milner.

In my opinion - long term - Milner is a fantastic attacking midfield prospect. I think he's been found out a bit as a winger as his pace hasn't developed as much as many had originally hoped, and his crossing ability isn't particularly fantastic, but his ball control and footballing mind is, in my opinion, very underrated.

Let's not fall into the trap of rating foreigners higher than English players just because of their exotic mysteriousness. Sometimes it feels like X<X+Not English.

Who are you, and why are you missing the point so entirely?

Milner is never going to be world class but he can/has been a good premiership player and we aren't in a position yet where he isn't good enough for a place in our squad.

Ok a stupid bid then we could possibly let him go as long as he is replaced. Jonas and Guthrie have made it a little easier numbers wise but even then im still not convinced players like Duff and N'Zogbia will be any better for us than Milner (although N'Zogbia does have the better potential).

No doubt this will be read as "Milner is the best player in our squad, probably my favourite ever player and will no doubt be the best player in the league in a few years" by some people who seem to interpret my comments that way on the lad.

you generally have to be good at 22 though. In terms of ability he's just about the worst winger i've ever seen at nufc

Dear me :lol:

:jesuswept: I give up :lol:

Guest musika

Milner is never going to be world class but he can/has been a good premiership player and we aren't in a position yet where he isn't good enough for a place in our squad.

Ok a stupid bid then we could possibly let him go as long as he is replaced. Jonas and Guthrie have made it a little easier numbers wise but even then im still not convinced players like Duff and N'Zogbia will be any better for us than Milner (although N'Zogbia does have the better potential).

No doubt this will be read as "Milner is the best player in our squad, probably my favourite ever player and will no doubt be the best player in the league in a few years" by some people who seem to interpret my comments that way on the lad.

Very well said. I'm not saying Milner is ever going to be world class.. I was just trying to explain how Milner could have potential, and alot of fans seem to disregard that possibility entirely.

Guest musika

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:Ox3RnunHKr0o-M:http://www.madeirawineguide.com/pics/non-invasive-flashed-cork-pic.jpg

James Milner

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:KbsPoaR0A9qAtM:http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00452/milner_280x390_452062a.jpg

Bottleneck.

Doesnt really work, but irrespective of that, I think im turning into Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde when it comes to Milner. On the one hand, Milner's a half decent right winger who can create the odd chance and can trouble a decent fullback when on form. And he's young, and works hard for the team. On the other, Milner's a hard working but head-down, poor quality, repetitive solo player who I would lump in with Duff, Smith and Ameobi (and when hes having a stinker, Butt) as players who contribute to the team as a whole playing less effectively when on the pitch than a bog standard average player would if he were playing in their position.

As an example, I bet you if Geremi starts instead of Milner, we'll be seeing -

1) Slightly more, slighty better quality possession

2) More chances created

3) Better performances all round by those connected to the position in question, e.g. Beye.

4) Slightly quicker team moves

Much like we did at the end of last season. And as we all know, Geremi is s*** in terms of a first teamer for where we want to be. He's a player who's legs have effectively gone, and the rest of his game is pretty average. Noone would pay 6-8 million for Geremi, but they'll do so for Milner because he's youngish, English, works hard, and looks good on highlights (where they dont show the 20 s*** crosses he'll put in). For this side of Milner, I say cash in irrespective of having a direct replacement or not (Zog can be moved up).

See the problem with that comparison is that Geremi is 29 and Mliner is 22. You might have a point for this season, but that reason alone isn't enough to justify offloading Milner.

In my opinion - long term - Milner is a fantastic attacking midfield prospect. I think he's been found out a bit as a winger as his pace hasn't developed as much as many had originally hoped, and his crossing ability isn't particularly fantastic, but his ball control and footballing mind is, in my opinion, very underrated.

Let's not fall into the trap of rating foreigners higher than English players just because of their exotic mysteriousness. Sometimes it feels like X<X+Not English.

Who are you, and why are you missing the point so entirely?

Who I am is irrelevant.

I must be missing the point because it seemed to me like you were justifying his sale without considering the possibility that he's not yet the finished product.

EDIT: Sorry, just realised it wasn't your post that was originally quoted.

If you really think that, than you are a joke.

Gives his all every game but his end product is very poor, poor corners, poor crossing BUT a player can work on crossing the ball and once it clicks for him he is going to be a very handy player, not one we should be looking at selling.

We all know Keegan gets the best out of players lets give him the chance to do it with Milner.

Gives his all every game but his end product is very poor, poor corners, poor crossing BUT a player can work on crossing the ball and once it clicks for him he is going to be a very handy player, not one we should be looking at selling.

We all know Keegan gets the best out of players lets give him the chance to do it with Milner.

Milner is coming up to 23 now and has been playing regular Premiership football for the best part of 6 years. You'd have thought if he was ever going to become an 8-10 goal a season man or improve his crossing/corners, he would have done by now.

Milner is coming up to 23 now and has been playing regular Premiership football for the best part of 6 years. You'd have thought if he was ever going to become an 8-10 goal a season man or improve his crossing/corners, he would have done by now.

Stephen Glass with pace?

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Not necessarilly.

You never know, some players just develop later. What was Drogba doing at 22/23?

Shola will still fill that potential aswell btw... ;)

Of course, but wingers in general are better early on. Gillespie was at his best by 23 then faded, Tony Daley was great early on and faded, Lee Sharpe the same. Giggs is an example of a younger player who's lasted for years while and Pedersen, Bentley, SWP are examples of three wingers much, much better than Milner at a similar age. I just don't see it in his game, where he's going to suddenly click and do things he hasn't done for 5 years.

Ronaldo is known on here for his exaggerations and his obsession with extremities when it comes to our squad. There is no middle ground for him.

You never know, some players just develop later. What was Drogba doing at 22/23?

Of course, but wingers in general are better early on. Gillespie was at his best by 23 then faded, Tony Daley was great early on and faded, Lee Sharpe the same. Giggs is an example of a younger player who's lasted for years while and Pedersen, Bentley, SWP are examples of three wingers much, much better than Milner at a similar age. I just don't see it in his game, where he's going to suddenly click and do things he hasn't done for 5 years.

Thing is Milner can put in a quality cross but at the moment he seems to get about 1 good cross in a game which obviously isn't good enough. When he was at Villa he was a lot more consistant and putting in a lot of quality crosses.

He definitely needs to improve and I really hope he does. It doesn't help at times no-one makes it into the box with a prime example being the good cross he put in against Manchester United last week and only Martins was in there with 3-4 Man U defenders.

A lot of work to be done and if Villa did come in with this reported bid of £9m it would be too good to turn down but I don't think we should be writing him off just yet. I am interested to see how he would get on with a run in the middle.

Ronaldo is known on here for his exaggerations and his obsession with extremities when it comes to our squad. There is no middle ground for him. talking nonsense.

Thing is Milner can put in a quality cross but at the moment he seems to get about 1 good cross in a game which obviously isn't good enough. When he was at Villa he was a lot more consistant and putting in a lot of quality crosses.

He definitely needs to improve and I really hope he does. It doesn't help at times no-one makes it into the box with a prime example being the good cross he put in against Manchester United last week and only Martins was in there with 3-4 Man U defenders.

A lot of work to be done and if Villa did come in with this reported bid of £9m it would be too good to turn down but I don't think we should be writing him off just yet. I am interested to see how he would get on with a run in the middle.

If there's a lack of options for him in the box, as Jonas showed quite a few times against Valencia actually use your brain and don't just lump it in aimlessly and wait for those around you. I understand that is hard for Milner though as he would still have to get the ball above the first man.

Ronaldo is known on here for his exaggerations and his obsession with extremities when it comes to our squad. There is no middle ground for him. talking nonsense.

Yeah, I know, his constant Milner and Taylor-bashing is a little bit annoying and ridiculous.

If there's a lack of options for him in the box, as Jonas showed quite a few times against Valencia actually use your brain and don't just lump it in aimlessly and wait for those around you. I understand that is hard for Milner though as he would still have to get the ball above the first man.

Its not as if Milner has used his blistering pace to get into that crossing position so everyone else is trying to catch up is it? :lol:

The ball he put in against Manchester United he did well to even get to the ball so didn't have much option other than swing one in which he did very well.