Abdoulaye Faye signs for Stoke for £2.25m

Theregulars

Provided there's an adequate replacement in the works (and KK's quotes seem to indicate there is), I'm not all that concerned.  Sounds like he had a bit of an attitude problem and he wanted away.  We've made the best of a bad situation.  He is not irreplaceable by any means. 

We've been robbed there like.

That's what i was arguing. Even if he wanted to be away, we should have been compensated properly for losing a first team defender with Premiership experience. £3-4m would have been more like it.

I don't get how transfers work these days. If we were willing to sell him why don't the club announce that he is on the transfer list? At least then there may have been some competition for his signature pushing the value up.

how do you know he wasnt touted round by his agent to all clubs and no one else wanted him?

That's what i was arguing. Even if he wanted to be away, we should have been compensated properly for losing a first team defender with Premiership experience. £3-4m would have been more like it.

I don't get how transfers work these days. If we were willing to sell him why don't the club announce that he is on the transfer list? At least then there may have been some competition for his signature pushing the value up.

how do you know he wasnt touted round by his agent to all clubs and no one else wanted him?

I don't but a lot of transfers seem to happen with everyone knowing a player is available e.g. Bentley. We only seem to find out ours are leaving at the last minute when it's 99% done e.g. Emre, Faye, etc.

I reckon he wanted away.

Nothing to do with us 'wanting rid'. There's no point in keeping an unhappy player.

Exactly. If we are to assume that he was told he wasnt going to be first choice and his only response was to want to go to a team that is odd's on to be relegated then good riddance. We wont have a cat in hells chance of achieving anything with players with that attitude in the squad.

Guest BooBoo

Gonna be interesting to see how the media spin this.

"Beleagured Toon boss Kevin Keegan was yesterday back to square one in his bid to rebuild his feeble squad. The ink hadnt yet dried on the worryingly overpriced Fabricio Coloccini's contract, when Abdoulaye Faye moved out to Stoke after weeks of begging to be released from the crisis hit Magpies......"

I don't but a lot of transfers seem to happen with everyone knowing a player is available e.g. Bentley. We only seem to find out ours are leaving at the last minute when it's 99% done e.g. Emre, Faye, etc.

tbh the club like doing things without  announcing it to the press, thats for all to see. So im sure he was offered to clubs behind closed doors if you like.

"Beleagured Toon boss Kevin Keegan was yesterday back to square one in his bid to rebuild his feeble squad. The ink hadnt yet dried on the worryingly overpriced Fabricio Coloccini's contract, when Abdoulaye Faye moved out to Stoke after weeks of begging to be released from the crisis hit Magpies......"

ha, thats really good. They should give you a job at the Sun. Better written than half the shite they print!

I bet what comes out isn't a million miles from that.

Don't forget too that Coloccini instantly becomes 'dodgy' now he plays for us.

Guest FlapjackJoe

A few things people seem to forget...

- We signed him for £2m, sold him for £2.25m.

- He was 30 (not ancient for a defender, but no spring chicken either).

- When he was about to join us, and Bolton dragged out the transfer at the end of August, Faye said that Newcastle will probably be the biggest club he'll ever play for.

To everyone assuming Steven Taylor would be first choice now:

- Bassong is only 6 months younger than him and have roughly the same experience games-wise ... albeit not in the Premier League.

And lastly, I still think Caçapa is a good defender.  He had an absolute shocker in the Portsmouth game and was rightly hauled off.  But other than that, he's done little wrong, and he's a very good reader of the game.

Ideally, we still need 2 defenders in though.

Very strange transfer.

At that price I'd have defo taken him here as a quality squad player to have. Surprised you sold him and even more surprised that nobody better than Stoke moved in

- When he was about to join us, and Bolton dragged out the transfer at the end of August, Faye said that Newcastle will probably be the biggest club he'll ever play for.

- Bassong is only 6 months younger than him and have roughly the same experience games-wise ... albeit not in the Premier League.

And lastly, I still think Caçapa is a good defender.  He had an absolute shocker in the Portsmouth game and was rightly hauled off.  But other than that, he's done little wrong, and he's a very good reader of the game.

Good post, sums up my thoughts and I didn't know that about Bassong's age.

Could have been a mental thing, couldn't take the pressure/competition.  I wouldn't doubt some bigger clubs than stoke would have been in for him but he may have chosen them for non footballing reasons

Very strange transfer.

At that price I'd have defo taken him here as a quality squad player to have. Surprised you sold him and even more surprised that nobody better than Stoke moved in

Which surely suggests there was some serious flaw in his mentality/attitude

Cacapa by no stretch of the imagination is a PL def.

Cacapa by no stretch of the imagination is a PL def.

dont think he's  bad defender to be fair. Made a good impression start of last season, and after one game (where he was carrying an injury if i remember correctly) he got hammered. Was playing in a piss poor team that gave him/back 5 no protection at all. Not 1st choice, but not a bad back up.