Abdoulaye Faye signs for Stoke for £2.25m

Theregulars

A few things people seem to forget...

- We signed him for £2m, sold him for £2.25m.

- He was 30 (not ancient for a defender, but no spring chicken either).

- When he was about to join us, and Bolton dragged out the transfer at the end of August, Faye said that Newcastle will probably be the biggest club he'll ever play for.

To everyone assuming Steven Taylor would be first choice now:

- Bassong is only 6 months younger than him and have roughly the same experience games-wise ... albeit not in the Premier League.

And lastly, I still think Caçapa is a good defender.  He had an absolute shocker in the Portsmouth game and was rightly hauled off.  But other than that, he's done little wrong, and he's a very good reader of the game.

Ideally, we still need 2 defenders in though.

Good post, sums up my thoughts and I didn't know that about Bassong's age.

Cacapa by no stretch of the imagination is a PL def.

dont think he's  bad defender to be fair. Made a good impression start of last season, and after one game (where he was carrying an injury if i remember correctly) he got hammered. Was playing in a piss poor team that gave him/back 5 no protection at all. Not 1st choice, but not a bad back up.

He's a good defender technically, but a bit lightweight for the Premier. Faye, in contrast was probably less good technically, but very strong and dominant.

A few things people seem to forget...

- We signed him for £2m, sold him for £2.25m.

- He was 30 (not ancient for a defender, but no spring chicken either).

- When he was about to join us, and Bolton dragged out the transfer at the end of August, Faye said that Newcastle will probably be the biggest club he'll ever play for.

To everyone assuming Steven Taylor would be first choice now:

- Bassong is only 6 months younger than him and have roughly the same experience games-wise ... albeit not in the Premier League.

And lastly, I still think Caçapa is a good defender.  He had an absolute shocker in the Portsmouth game and was rightly hauled off.  But other than that, he's done little wrong, and he's a very good reader of the game.

Ideally, we still need 2 defenders in though.

Good post, sums up my thoughts and I didn't know that about Bassong's age.

Cacapa by no stretch of the imagination is a PL def.

dont think he's  bad defender to be fair. Made a good impression start of last season, and after one game (where he was carrying an injury if i remember correctly) he got hammered. Was playing in a piss poor team that gave him/back 5 no protection at all. Not 1st choice, but not a bad back up.

He's a good defender technically, but a bit lightweight for the Premier. Faye, in contrast was probably less good technically, but very strong and dominant.

yep, id agree with that.

Guest Chubby Jason

How awful are Stoke going to be next season? Alll the players they have signed are 6ft+ and they are supplemented by players that can kick the ball really high in the air...oh and one lad to throw the ball really hard into the box.

Actually that sounds like us last season.

How awful are Stoke going to be next season? Alll the players they have signed are 6ft+ and they are supplemented by players that can kick the ball really high in the air...oh and one lad to throw the ball really hard into the box.

Well, they're building a club around Ricardo Fuller.

Gutted is too strong a word but I am sad to see him go. I said it before but if we was avaiable at another club for £2.25m I would definitely think we should be in for him.

Still remember this time last season the majority never even wanted the lad.

Gutted is too strong a word but I am sad to see him go. I said it before but if we was avaiable at another club for £2.25m I would definitely think we should be in for him.

Wont be missed if/when we replace him with better

I'd rather he'd stayed but honestly not all that arsed about it, you'd swear we'd sold Martins the way some are going on. :lol:

The gap between him and Taylor is nowhere near as large as some people would have you believe, and I still believe Taylor will ultimately be the better defender and, as the younger player, is probably the right guy to be playing in the interests of the team's long-term development.

Guest VegasToon

I'd rather he'd stayed but honestly not all that arsed about it, you'd swear we'd sold Martins the way some are going on. :lol:

The gap between him and Taylor is nowhere near as large as some people would have you believe, and I still believe Taylor will ultimately be the better defender and, as the younger player, is probably the right guy to be playing in the interests of the team's long-term development.

:clap:

Well, they're building a club around big black lads.

FYP

Guest Alan_Shearer

I can take a positive from this as it means CACAPA will get more of a look-in and can prove how good he is...

Guest britvicpotter

Amdy that bad then ? I thought Abdoulaye was fantastic against us when we played you last season can't understand you letting him go unless its the Senegal connection Diao, Faye and Faye.

Hope you have a good season anyway see you all at the Britannia.