Steve McClaren

Liam Liam Liam O

He could easily do what Hodgson did.

Except with uglier football, probably.

Twente have played great football this season. Haven't scored as many goals as Ajax but they play the usual Dutch 4-3-3 system and they're very good to watch.

Except with uglier football, probably.

Twente have played great football this season. Haven't scored as many goals as Ajax but they play the usual Dutch 4-3-3 system and they're very good to watch.

Fairs dos. Haven't seen them at all.

McClaren shouldn't come back to England. He's got a good thing going abroad, taking the Wolfsburg job would be huge for him.

Agreed....pity more British managers don't have the initiative to try their luck abroad. I respect those coaches more (Sir Bobby, Hodgson, now Mclaren) and the experience can only help. Same with British players......

he's at it again, was just on SSN  ;D ;D

its funny as fuck, but i can only think if people are talking to you like that all day every day its only human to pick up the accent. :lol:

he's at it again, was just on SSN  ;D ;D

its funny as f***, but i can only think if people are talking to you like that all day every day its only human to pick up the accent. :lol:

A Spanish friend of mine has been living in Texas for 10 years and he speaks Spanish like this, I shit you not.

You'll find that your accent will adapt to your surroundings if you spend long enough in one place. Look at Jan Molby for example. He virtually sounds completely scouse. Also my mum has spent the last 36 years living in London and she has completely lost her North East accent.

He hasn't just changed his accent though.  He's speaking so he sounds like a foreigner struggling to speak English and has re-arranged the bloody words in his sentences.  The Dutch have to be one of the best groups of people in the world for speaking English, I'm sure they'd understand if he just spoke normally in English and toned down his Yorkshire(?) accent.

Can't wait for wor lovenkrands accent to start picking up wee bits of geordie to go with the scottish.

As a sidenote I was hoping twente got beat cos. I wanted ajax to win the league. At least 2nd place still gets ajax in the champions league again :)

You'll find that your accent will adapt to your surroundings if you spend long enough in one place. Look at Jan Molby for example. He virtually sounds completely scouse. Also my mum has spent the last 36 years living in London and she has completely lost her North East accent.

This is probably closest to the mark - IF McClaren has been trying to learn Dutch and speaking it with the players etc., he may well have adopted their mode of speaking when lapsing back into English, but if he hasn't been learning the language he doesn't need to speak as he did because most Dutch would understand him perfectly well anyway.

I have lived in Oz for 6 years, but have VERY little, if any, accent although you do adopt some of the sayings. This is probably because I am not working and therefore not talking to Aussies each and every day - kids that come here with their parents adopt the accent within 3 months because they are with Aussie school-mates every day.

The accent thing's a bit weird, although I understand it completely. The fact is if you speak using simpler words using the local accent--and grammar even--you'll be better understood. However, I'm not sure that principal really holds if you're giving interviews on TV as a football manager when you just sound like a total spaz.

Does he actually speak any Dutch?

He already has. He took Boro to a Uefa Cup final ( admittedly they got fucked by Seville while we all watched The bill) but a Uefa cup final, a league cup and several top 10 finishes none the less on a fairly tight budget.

If Sunday night was his leaving bash from the Netherlands, it was one heck of a way to go. Imagine the celebrations if Newcastle United ever won the title; because that is how Enschede partied.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/columnists/matt_dickinson/article7115262.ece

You could have warned that the article you linked to contained a photograph of Rod Liddle, I nearly hoyed up.

• 2 years later...

FC Twente manager Steve McClaren has left his position at the helm of the Eredivisie club, insisting he did not feel supported in the role.

Saturday's defeat at Heerenveen proved to be the last act of the former England coach's disappointing second spell in Holland.

Twente chairman Joop Munsterman gave his backing to the boss in the wake of that defeat but McClaren has still headed for the door.

McClaren had led Twente to the Eredivisie title in 2010 but was unable to recreate that magic since returning to Holland in January 2012.

The club have not won a league game in 2013, meaning they have dropped six points behind table-topping PSV Eindhoven, and fans turned on McClaren.

He told Sky Sports: "You talk about the support and the backing the players need, we need it as trainers, we need it as managers, we need it as staff.

"You talk about the support and the backing the players need, we need it as trainers, we need it as managers, we need it as staff."

Steve McClaren

Quotes of the week

"I sought those assurances and I felt that they weren't forthcoming, in the fact of not just for now, but also for the future, trying to build Twente."

He added: "I've looked at both sides of it and after much thought and deliberation it's best to relieve the pressure from the team, the club and the board.

"For the last six games the pressure and intensity and criticism has built up and built up.

"The last four weeks we've had difficult results, a difficult period, the performances have not been good for various reasons."

Criticism

"We've had adversary action; we've had criticism, protests and demonstration from supporters and media about the results and performances, in particular about the last six games, which has been surprising taking in that the expectations of FC Twente have always been European qualification and finishing in the top four," he said.

"In the winter break we were joint-top and even four weeks ago, after the Feyenoord away game, we were second in the league."

Twente also slumped out of the UEFA Europa League under McClaren at the group stages after finishing bottom of Group L with only four points.

A departure from Twente is a latest setback for the 51-year-old, who had previously spent just four months at Nottingham Forest in an ill-fated spell in 2011.

Prior to his time at Forest, McClaren also endured a rocky seven-month reign as manager of Bundesliga club Wolfsburg.

The former Middlesbrough boss, who won the 2004 League Cup and reached the 2006 UEFA Cup final, was sacked as England manager in 2007 after the embarrassing failure to qualify for Euro 2008.