Steve McClaren

Liam Liam Liam O

Guest LucaAltieri

Don't see what the big problem is... when you spend day after day speaking with foreigners you:

1) Have to meet them half way. You can try and stick to your geordie drawl but you won't get very far.

2) Can't help but pick up some of their mannerisms and expressions. It's human nature.

Just because he's a smug, ginger, overpaid, overrated, bottling, cunt doesn't make him any different in that regard.

Don't see what the big problem is... when you spend day after day speaking with foreigners you:

1) Have to meet them half way. You can try and stick to your geordie drawl but you won't get very far.

2) Can't help but pick up some of their mannerisms and expressions. It's human nature.

Just because he's a smug, ginger, overpaid, overrated, bottling, c*** doesn't make him any different in that regard.

If i send you to Holland for 10 fuckin years i doubt that you'll come back with a diffrent accent, its your language for fucks sake and it dosn't change because you spent a couple of month in another country.

Guest LucaAltieri

Just because he's a smug, ginger, overpaid, overrated, bottling, c*** doesn't make him any different in that regard.

If i send you to Holland for 10 fuckin years i doubt that you'll come back with a diffrent accent, its your language for fucks sake and it dosn't change because you spent a couple of month in another country.

It takes far less than 10 years to change an accent. It took about 6 months in London for mine to change.

But even if we accept your point as true (which it isn't) what's wrong with forcefully changing your accent to be better understood?

I've live in Newcastle for 6 years and still sound southern as fuck.  It's not just the accent though, McClaren is speaking broken English.  It's patronising and insulting.  Imagine if Allardyce or Souness had started talking in a fake Geordie accent in interviews and using words like "howey", "canny", and "wor".

Guest LucaAltieri

I've live in Newcastle for 6 years and still sound southern as fuck.  It's not just the accent though, McClaren is speaking broken English.  It's patronising and insulting.  Imagine if Allardyce or Souness had started talking in a fake Geordie accent in interviews and using words like "howey", "canny", and "wor".

It's not the same thing.

Working in Italy, sometimes I had to use simple English to be understood. Likewise those speaking to me in Italian have to keep it simple.

Geordies can understand Souness without him having to resort to the local slang.

It takes far less than 10 years to change an accent. It took about 6 months in London for mine to change.

But even if we accept your point as true (which it isn't) what's wrong with forcefully changing your accent to be better understood?

it's not the accent that's so ridiculous, it's the fact he misses out words and raises the tone of his voice at the end of a sentance like some foreigners tend to do in a sort of 'do you understand' way in English. So stupid and embarassing.

it's not the accent that's so ridiculous, it's the fact he misses out words and raises the tone of his voice at the end of a sentance like some foreigners tend to do in a sort of 'do you understand' way in English. So stupid and embarassing.

agreed.

it's not even got anything to do with trying to be understood, the dutch girl who is interviewing him in one of them vids speaks better english than most brits.

Guest Heneage

The thing is though McClarens accent isn't really that strong either. And the Dutch are often very good speakers of English.

Just because he's a smug, ginger, overpaid, overrated, bottling, cunt doesn't make him any different in that regard.

Exactly man, everyone does it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D5AfX4YUag&feature=related

Sorry but am I missing something here, if he wants to be better understood surely he should learn their language, not apply their maneurisms to his. Besides, if he's speaking a foreign language in Holland there will be subtitles, no?

He just sounds fucking stupid. The people that speak English will understand him, and the people that don't, wont, regardless of how he speaks.

Guest Tony_r

Obviously most of you lot have never lived in a foreign country or dealt with people who barely speak English on a day to day basis, although I'd say it's unnecessary for the majority of the Dutch he's speaking in a way that most foreigners will find easy to understand.  Very good communication on his part  :thup:. Still don't like him though.

Obviously most of you lot have never lived in a foreign country or dealt with people who barely speak English on a day to day basis, although I'd say it's unnecessary for the majority of the Dutch he's speaking in a way that most foreigners will find easy to understand.  Very good communication on his part  :thup:. Still don't like him though.

What a load of fuking tosh.

You can use that to excuse the accent, but the hemming and hawing and "how do you say..." stuff is something else.

Because? Where is your personal experience/evidence? Random flaming with no actual base?

When you work on a daily basis with those who don't have an advanced level of English and where it is a second language, your way of speaking naturally drops so that you can be understood and you do pick up the intonations, accents and elocution of their interpretation of English. This is efficient and natural for most people, it means you are understood and do not have to repeat yourself and is not taken as offensive in any way by those you area communicating with.

Done this for years myself and my way of speaking has changed at least 4 or 5 times.

Guest LucaAltieri

Because? Where is your personal experience/evidence? Random flaming with no actual base?

When you work on a daily basis with those who don't have an advanced level of English and where it is a second language, your way of speaking naturally drops so that you can be understood and you do pick up the intonations, accents and elocution of their interpretation of English. This is efficient and natural for most people, it means you are understood and do not have to repeat yourself and is not taken as offensive in any way by those you area communicating with.

Done this for years myself and my way of speaking has changed at least 4 or 5 times.

Exactly. It might seem odd to some of you but if you're put into a similar situation you WILL do it yourself.

• 1 year later...

:clap:

He takes some stick, rightly, for that silly accent but thats twice now he has brought a "first" trophy for a club (first championship for Twente.. not sure if they have won a cup before).

Deserve a lot of credit for this.

Nontheless it's a great achievement for a manager who was a couple of years ago a complete laughing stock. He should stay there for another season at least, even if a Prem club does come calling.

Guest Roland

Dutch media are reporting that McClaren will go to Wolfsburg.

FC Twente have won the national cup twice but this is their first champnship.

Their best player is Bryan Ruiz, will play for a big club next year.

Dutch media are reporting that McClaren will go to Wolfsburg.

FC Twente have won the national cup twice but this is their first champnship.

Their best player is Bryan Ruiz, will play for a big club next year.

Hm... german media were reporting that Wolfsburg already agreed a deal with Gerard Houllier.

EDIT: Just checked it again: Houllier deal fell through and now there are indeed strong claims that McClaren will take over there.