Michael Owen in 2008-09

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest sombrero

apologies for the swearing i know its against the rules and i hope the admin understands i was just frustrated at the time

That was a great analysis of him by Andy Gray I thought.

Good spot on the little brush off of defenders he does before the ball even comes in. Very clever, and not something you'd always associate with a player like Owen.

Guest iliketoonarmy

Martins' all around play is poor.  People like to gloss over it because he's become something of a cult figure, but if he wasn't he'd be getting some grief for it.

EDIT And I don't think that that's even remotely controversial btw.

his all round play CAN be poor. Just as Owen's can be non-existant

His all round play IS GENERALLY poor is closer to the truth tbh.  Owen's contribution CAN be non-existent.  Do you see the difference?

And I think most can see it but don't like to admit it.

your truth is my lie then, that's life

he was immense at old trafford last week imo...yesterday i felt he suffered (as he does a lot at home) from tight marking/being crowded out

there are DIFFERENT types of player you know?  martins strength in one area is another strikers weakness...that's why you need strikers of varying styles

martins will excel, and did at the end of last season, when he's got space to exploit but at home he's less likely to get that playing on his own than he would be with owen or viduka...duff was with him yeserday and was utterly unable to do anything to create space for martins to use

to me your argument is like critising a big physical CB who is very good in the air for being s*** on the ground, or a smaller attacking FB for not being as good in the air

name me some COMPLETE strikers in the english game these days...i can think of torres, maybe drogba, most everyone else i can think of have gaps in their game and in that i include being injury prone

Sorry like but you don't get to say that there aren't many complete strikers in the game, so it's ok for Martins to have gaping holes in his. 

that's not actually what i said though is it gemmill?  try again

Looks a lot like what you've said to me.  You asked me to name complete strikers, presumably to prove your argument that there aren't many, therefore it's ok for Martins to not be one.  I responded by pointing out that Martins is far from just not quite being the complete striker.  I've conceded that he'll get the odd goal because he's quick and can exploit spaces but I think that we can expect a lot more from him when he's required to get involved in the match.  For instance, I'm a big fan of footballers who can control the ball and then find a teammate with a pass.  Which precludes me from being a big fan of Martins.

i'm a big fan of footballers who actually earn their money on the football pitch for the club that pay their wages, which precludes me from being a big fan of michael owen

we could do this dance all day...i don't actually believe the above but it highlights strange your point is, to pick this facet when it's not actually the main part of martins game, some of the best goalscorers in the past have had limited games (rush, lineker et al)

i think i've made my case reasonably well but i'll repeat it - we've got a striker who can do a few things very well and other teams struggle to cope with him when he does them (martins) & we've another 2 strikers who are the same but for different reasons (owen/viduka)

why aren't you complaining about owens inability to stretch opposing teams with his devastating pace?  because he can't do it anymore, it's not his game, it's martins's

i can see your point, totally, but it's a moot one imo when you're asking a player to perform a function that's not his strength then criticising him for not being great at it

as for your point in bold i guess it precludes you from being a fan of nicky butt, damien duff, james milner & alan smith as well?  or are they somehow immune to this?  why pick martins, he's more of a threat than anyone in our squad except arguably owen (i don't see spiderman having proven it yet)

spot on  O0 :thup: :clap:

apologies for the swearing i know its against the rules and i hope the admin understands i was just frustrated at the time

Frustrated for winning a football match god help us when we loose a few ;D

and ericz, i bet u f***ing shat urself when martins scored so dont take the piss out of "explosove" cuz u fooking know well enough that it was, you never felt better in ur life and you know it, 

and biggs ur equally a c***, some of the s*** that is written on this forum is much worse than what i had to say so get of my back, u dont like my posts, dont fooking reply, c***

I feel deeply hurt  :smug:

Not the Martins vs Owen debate again? Can't people just be happy that we've got both?

I wonder if you go on Red Cafe that they have big debates about Tevez and Rooney, with the Tevez fans kicking off when he scores because Rooney is more popular? :lol:

Amazing how many people get dragged into it as well. Just enjoy people. Enjoy.

Good spot on the little brush off of defenders he does before the ball even comes in. Very clever, and not something you'd always associate with a player like Owen.

I don't think its somehting he always did though, he has added it to his game after being called a one dimensional striker and after losing a yard or two of pace its served him very well.

Smaller strikers can benefit from defenders not expecting them to get their head onto crosses but with Owens timing he is very very adapt at it.

I don't think its somehting he always did though, he has added it to his game after being called a one dimensional striker and after losing a yard or two of pace its served him very well.

Smaller strikers can benefit from defenders not expecting them to get their head onto crosses but with Owens timing he is very very adapt at it.

owen,despite the physical differences, is very similar to shearer. lots of players go through a spell where they are in the right position and score but those that do it year in year out are few and far between, hard to get off the ball,plays the game simply and is very consistent in finding his teams players.

a little alarmed with the lack of good movement from martins. i hiope its just down to not having the chance to build up a rapport with a strike partner

It's still cack mind that we were robbed of the Owen we bought, much like we were with Shearer.

with watching owen more (though not nearly enough)he is a much better footballer than i gave him credit for.

It's still cack mind that we were robbed of the Owen we bought, much like we were with Shearer.

with watching owen more (though not nearly enough)he is a much better footballer than i gave him credit for.

Oh definitely. His intelligence is absolutely top notch, I think he's had to really work harder at all aspects of his game to make up for the deficit in his pace now.

It's telling that Owen's been scoring with his head so much for us.  He's previously been more of a poacher, like Cole.  Difference being Cole had an altruistic strike partner like Beardsley who probably single handedly doubled the lads value.

What wouldn't I give for another Pedro to play alongside Owen.

owen,despite the physical differences, is very similar to shearer. lots of players go through a spell where they are in the right position and score but those that do it year in year out are few and far between, hard to get off the ball,plays the game simply and is very consistent in finding his teams players.

a little alarmed with the lack of good movement from martins. i hiope its just down to not having the chance to build up a rapport with a strike partner

Martins movement isn't as clever as Owen's, but then Owen's movement is slower and more restricted. It isn't always black and white even for Newcastle.

Martins movement isn't as clever as Owen's, but then Owen's movement is slower and more restricted. It isn't always black and white even for Newcastle.

dunno bout that. martins never seems to use his pace.

We don't play the ball in front of him, beyond the last defender, enough for him IMO.

Well when he's running, presumably someone has to run with him, dragging players out of position maybe?