Saviola on loan?

Dokko

Those 3 wouldnt work under an Allardyce type as he would attempt to counter the opposition, but Keegan is more likely to impose our play on the opposition and let them worry about us. In that sense I could see it working.

Dunno why everyone's so obsessed with getting a big guy btw. Sure it's nice to have a mix up front but with Keegan we're trying to play football on the deck a bit more aren't we?

Agreed.

Dunno why everyone's so obsessed with getting a big guy btw. Sure it's nice to have a mix up front but with Keegan we're trying to play football on the deck a bit more aren't we?

i'm not obsessed with a big guy, more about trying to get a coherent mix up front.

for example none of these would really work long-term:

Martins Saviola

Owen

Owen Saviola

Martins Saviola

so the only improvement he'd bring is more options in case of injuries or loss of form, we'd have, roughly, 3 of one type of forward and one of the other, and that one (Viduka) is really unreliable. on the other hand someone in the mould of Viduka with a bit more movement would massively increase our possibilities up front as they can do things that the rest of our forwards can't and complement, compensate and dovetail with another in a way two similar forwards rarely do.

unless one of either martins or owen is on the way out?

funny, i dont remember people shouting for a big target man when we had Cole and Beardsley knocking them in every week

but if we had two andy coles up front, frightening pace & power, ability to play on the shoulder, great instinctive finishing but a crap first touch, not much ability to drop deep and link with the team - then we would be shouting for a Beardsley type.

and if we had two peter beardsleys up front, great intelligence, skill, ability to link up, but not much pace or ability to play on the shoulder - then we would be shouting for a Cole type.

geddit?

the talk of a 'big target man' is missing the point and is skewing the discussion, as it wrongly assumes people are just going after a tag and think any partnership needs that type when that is not what people are saying. it needs cohesion up front and a good balance and Saviola doesn't provide that, it would be more of the same of what we already have and don't particularly need more of. again, not that i'd turn him down, fantastic little player, but we'd still need another forward on top of him.

i'm not obsessed with a big guy, more about trying to get a coherent mix up front.

for example none of these would really work long-term:

Martins Saviola

Owen

Owen Saviola

Martins Saviola

so the only improvement he'd bring is more options in case of injuries or loss of form, we'd have, roughly, 3 of one type of forward and one of the other, and that one (Viduka) is really unreliable. on the other hand someone in the mould of Viduka with a bit more movement would massively increase our possibilities up front as they can do things that the rest of our forwards can't and complement, compensate and dovetail with another in a way two similar forwards rarely do.

unless one of either martins or owen is on the way out?

Nothings impossible but Keegan has said no-one else is leaving.

Cant go wrong with a loan if not too much of his wages are being paid, and besides that hes good!

Not like that frigging waste of space Baptista!

Why are you on a Newcastle-board when your team is playing?

Only make about 1-2 matches a month, and im going Twente and Newcastle.

Thats why,is that ok with you?

funny, i dont remember people shouting for a big target man when we had Cole and Beardsley knocking them in every week

If we had any player anywhere near Beardsley class, it would make tactics a lot easier "just pass it to him"

Guest geordienorway

Cant go wrong with a loan if not too much of his wages are being paid, and besides that hes good!

Not like that frigging waste of space Baptista!

Why are you on a Newcastle-board when your team is playing?

Only make about 1-2 matches a month, and im going Twente and Newcastle.

Thats why,is that ok with you?

Sorry mate, it wasn't an attack.

To be fair to Oliver, he doesn't really get to even speculate on transfers these days, so when I see something in the Chronicle now I tend to think that we're at least interested.

might be on to something there

'Big target man' is a bad expression really. We just need someone who can retain posession up top - like Viduka does. The fact that he's a big guy is just a separate attribute; he's not even that great a target man cos he's not particularly good in the air. If Saviola was to play off Martins and Owen, we'd have no bugger there to hold up the ball and keep posession - Owen's got a good eye for a pass from deep, but neither him nor Martins are particularly great ball retainers. I don't know a lot about Saviola but it doesn't appear to be his game either?

Disclaimer: What i've said there appears to advocate not using Owen/Martins up top at all. But it's different, as what i'm talking about there is a 4-3-3. In a 4-4-2, i still think Owen/Oba can work (Owen a bit deeper), so long as we have good centre-mids.

Anyhow that said, looking at Saviola's goalscoring record and the fact that he's been in the Argentina team a lot says to me that he'd be a very nice option to have in the squad.

I can't believe think Saviola can't play in the hole and think the extent of his game is palying on the shoulder.

He is ridiculous running at people and loves to play the little through balls and one twos. He has a lot more to his game than just playing on the shoulder of defenders.

What we will need alongside a front three of Martins, Owen and Saviola will be a really hard working midfield. Jonas ticks that box and Barton also. If we could get a really top DM to play with both Jonas and Barton that would be sick.

I can't believe think Saviola can't play in the hole and think the extent of his game is palying on the shoulder.

He is ridiculous running at people and loves to play the little through balls and one twos. He has a lot more to his game than just playing on the shoulder of defenders.

What we will need alongside a front three of Martins, Owen and Saviola will be a really hard working midfield. Jonas ticks that box and Barton also. If we could get a really top DM to play with both Jonas and Barton that would be sick.

I agree completely

Barton   DM   Jonas

Owen   Saviola

Martins

would be fantastic tbh

For a loan deal I can't honestly see the problem with this, when he was playing all of the time he's a better footballer than Martins, as he uses his pace better for a start, has better ability on the ball as well and he's more intelligent. As has been said he can also drop deep and is lovely to watch playing some lovely one touch, two touch football. Only thing is his lack of football is a worry, but on a loan deal then we could sound him out. Especially if there's an option to buy at the end when Owen inevitably screws us over next summer.

Guest trig111

Keegan is trying to re create the his team of 10 years ago. Guthrie is his new Robert Lee. Guitrezz is in the Ginola mode (OK maybe poor mans Ginola but hopefully not). Milner will pass for Gillespe & he is after a new Peter Beardsley. Saviola & Aimar are all in this mode.

Anyway who is gonna play the new Les Ferdinand !