Saviola on loan?

Dokko

I know he's a short-arse, but isn't he more of a deep player than an out-and-out striker? Would we want him to play in the hole?

in recent years he seems to have been deployed in a deeper role, certainly.

Most successful when he was playing as an out-and-out striker, though. His style is similar to Owen's pre-injury and pre-loss-of-pace. Very quick and can finish, but otherwise doesn't contribute much more. The past couple of seasons he hasn't played much so he's a risk but a loan deal would be nice.

I know he's a short-arse, but isn't he more of a deep player than an out-and-out striker? Would we want him to play in the hole?

Yeah, he's more Beardsley than Owen. I'd take him on loan definitely.

nah, he's more Owen actually. Owen's role at the end of last season is perfect for Saviola tbh. Saviola will get the ball and look to play the one-two or use his pace to get in behind. Beardsley was a lot more creative and skillfull and prefered to take people on

Dunno why everyone's so obsessed with getting a big guy btw. Sure it's nice to have a mix up front but with Keegan we're trying to play football on the deck a bit more aren't we?

bit of both would be nice i think, you dont wanna only have one way of playing imo

Great move. Only 26 years old and is ridiculously experienced.

If we were after Aimar then Saviola would be a great alternative.

Like Dave said, would be excellent in the hole, just behind Owen and Martins, in our 4-3-1-2.

Best of all is that if Owen is out, with Saviola we wouldn't really miss him as much. He is as good a finisher for sure.

Dunno why everyone's so obsessed with getting a big guy btw. Sure it's nice to have a mix up front but with Keegan we're trying to play football on the deck a bit more aren't we?

bit of both would be nice i think, you dont wanna only have one way of playing imo

Owen's good in the air and has a knack of getting on the end of crosses despite his size. Martins has a great leap too. I just don't know why anyone would turn their noses up at a footballer like Saviola just because he's not that tall.

Yeah, he's more Beardsley than Owen. I'd take him on loan definitely.

nah, he's more Owen actually. Owen's role at the end of last season is perfect for Saviola tbh. Saviola will get the ball and look to play the one-two or use his pace to get in behind. Beardsley was a lot more creative and skillfull and prefered to take people on

I've only really seen him in internationals, and I always thought he played as a creative forward, like Beardsley.

Not that it matters, he's a good player with a decent goal scoring record.

Like others have said though, we could do with a big fella as well. Getting greedy now.

Owen's good in the air and has a knack of getting on the end of crosses despite his size. Martins has a great leap too. I just don't know why anyone would turn their noses up at a footballer like Saviola just because he's not that tall.

i agree with what you're saying, i think owen's fantastic in the air tbh (first goal against the mackems was an amazing finish), i didnt necessarily mean height, but a bit of muscle is helpful up top sometimes, martins has it but still gets knocked off the ball a bit. i'm not saying i dont want any player because they're not tall enough, just a bit of variety would be nice incase we need to scrap a game out a bit.

i'm not obsessed with a big guy, more about trying to get a coherent mix up front.

for example none of these would really work long-term:

Martins Saviola

Owen

Owen Saviola

Martins Saviola

so the only improvement he'd bring is more options in case of injuries or loss of form, we'd have, roughly, 3 of one type of forward and one of the other, and that one (Viduka) is really unreliable. on the other hand someone in the mould of Viduka with a bit more movement would massively increase our possibilities up front as they can do things that the rest of our forwards can't and complement, compensate and dovetail with another in a way two similar forwards rarely do.

Seems to crop up every transfer window at one point or another. Certainly seems to be unsettled in La Liga anyhow. Don't think i've seen him play personally, unless in a World Cup game.

That's true, but there really seems to be some substance this time

What would this substance be? It's an Alan Oliver article. Most probably bull shit.

Would love to have him though...

Hehe, so perhaps my enthusiasm caused me to say "substance" when I meant "vague, hopeful faith" :lol:

All three are good footballers, all three can pass and move, all three have decent pace, all three score goals. Just don't see why it's so obvious it 'wouldn't work'. Maybe I'm missing something.

It is not really a big guy I would like to see us get, it is forward who can dominate the air like we have seen with Shearer & Sir Les. When you have chaps like them you know the centre backs are not going to win most of your own goalkeeper kicks, your wingers know if they get a good cross in there is good chance the striker will win it. I would imagine our wingers will be putting crosses in rather than them slide passes Arsenals wide men tend to do & we need someone to aim for. If Shola goes next week it wouldn't surprise me if KK brought a forward in with aerial ability.

Guest geordienorway

Cant go wrong with a loan if not too much of his wages are being paid, and besides that hes good!

Not like that frigging waste of space Baptista!

Why are you on a Newcastle-board when your team is playing?

All three are good footballers, all three can pass and move, all three have decent pace, all three score goals. Just don't see why it's so obvious it 'wouldn't work'. Maybe I'm missing something.

with those three the ball will never stick upfield, we'd be losing possession as soon as we get it. it might be ok for a game or two at home, but away from home or after a few games it would get sussed fairly quickly as opponents try to force us into aerial passes from deep that our three midgets have little chance of winning. don't see either of those players as someone who is going to bring others into play in the final phase or play with their back to goal, that's not Martins' game, Owen moves it on simply it earlier on in the play and Saviola has little ability to hold off 6ft+ defenders.

if you have some forwards who all glaringly have the same strengths and weaknesses the opposition can try to force you to play a game that highlights their weaknesses and overlooks their strengths. if you have the right mix then it reduces the opposition's ability to do this. it's not about obsessing about a big guy, as it would be exactly the same if you were talking about 3 big & powerful but slow players.

Agreed.

At the end of the day we still have Viduka as an alternative if we need to change things.

However, keeping it on the deck and having a forward three of Martins, Owen and Saviola would be immense.

Martins power, pace and athleticism, Owen's smarts, positioning and finishing and Saviola's dribbling, passingg and finishing.

In games where the ball isn't quite sticking upfront enough and we are struggling physically, then just bring on Viduka.

Sorted.

Some people are saying that we need a big target man, why?  You don't need a big target man to score goals and win games, we didn't have one when we had Beardsley and Cole and they didn't do too badly together.  Man U won the league last season without one as they carved teams open and scored plenty.