Manchester United 1 - 1 Newcastle - 17/08/08 - post match reaction from page 26

Dave

Given - 9 - commanded his area at times very well, and produced some world class saves.

Beye - 6 - Not pulling up trees like he did last time. Giggs probably won that battle today.

Taylor - 9 - One of the best, if not the best game in Taylor's career. Shame he wasn't on the pitch when they scored.

Coloccini - 7 - Looked a little shaky to start, but really settled into the game in the second half. Makes defending look easy.

N'Zogbia - 4 - Thank goodness he was up against Fletcher and not Ronaldo. Despite this, he let Fletcher score, almost an identical marking error to the one he made preseason.

Milner - 6 - Can't pass to save his life, but made an important contribution when we were defending.

Butt - 7 - See Milner, but better defensively.

Guthrie - 7 - Did a good job, and released the ball very well time and time again.

Gutierrez - 9 - If a manager wants a winger to perform exceptionally versus Manchester United, they'll make the player study Jonas on tape from now on.

Duff - 6 - Struggled to get involved due to the nature of the game, but looked sharp.

Martins - 7 - Our best goal threat and scored. While other strikers are injured however, he needs to be more disciplined off the ball in open play.

Taylor played really well.

I probably don't need to say that I thought Duff was our worst player. When I see him play, I'm somehow reminded of a line from Mark Kermode's review of Pirates of the Caribbean 2 - "Nothing happened. I mean, a bunch of stuff happened but nothing actually happened."

I genuinely think that, in the past on this forum, i've been a close second/third in the Duff hatred scale to you Wullie. But i just think that's plain wrong. Atleast he knew what he was doing, unlike N'Zogbia and Butt (for the most part). He didn't concede possession, fannied about one too many times aye, but it was Man Utd - one of the msot compact teams in the Premiership when you consider their closing down mentality. He had three men on him when he received the ball at times. He needed to make himself more available at times, yes, but he didn't have a particularly bad game.

Not like he horrendously surrendered posession in dangerous areas, and gave away daft free-kicks in even more dangerous areas like Butt. Or basically had no 'product', never mind end product, like Milner.

I wouldn't have him in my starting line-up when everyone was fit, and i'm worried that KK fancies him on the wing when Owen comes back, but to say he was our worst player today is just plain wrong imo.

Taylor played well with the exception of one early mistake

one?  generous dude, generous...but after he got beyond the disputed period he was good, agreed

I saw him slip once but apart from that he was in the right place at the right time and looked solid in the air. I'm not a fan of him either but he looked a good defender today

Duff, you're being harsh on aswell tbh. He had no chance to shine today because it was always tight in his area of the pitch and he was expected to support the midfield especially in the 2nd 45. He didn't give the ball away and never stopped moving which created space for Jonas and Martins

Milner on the other hand, woeful excuse for a footballer, no matter how hard he tries

just think duff was the same as always...i was wanting to chuck my pint everytime he passed the ball onto someone else when he got anywhere near the goal, he's got no bottle

which is exactly what Shearer did in his last 3 seasons, he knew his limitations, Duff isn't going to outpace Ferdinand, Evra or Vidic, he played the easy ball. Not saying he had a paticularly good game, but he was decent.

No bottle? I'm sorry mate but shut-up

shut up?  how old are you man?

he has no bottle in the sense that he never, once, went at a man, dove into a tackle or did anything remotely dangerous the entire game...he danced about like wayne b****** sleep in the middle of the park

people have this smith thing going one, WATCH duff, really watch him then you'll be able to cultivate some dislike, he's a f***ing charlatan

how much dislike have you already cultivated for Coloccini btw?

you're a funny poster so I dont want to discourage you but you've posted some really daft stuff tonight

i thought you were alright man, what happened?

i've said a number of times i think coloccini was mint...which part don't you understand?  let me know and i'll rewrite for you

i wrote something like "one of the finest adaptations to PL football i've seen" in another post

yeah, dislike...try READING ronaldo, it helps

Given - 9 - commanded his area at times very well, and produced some world class saves.

Beye - 6 - Not pulling up trees like he did last time. Giggs probably won that battle today.

Taylor - 9 - One of the best, if not the best game in Taylor's career. Shame he wasn't on the pitch when they scored.

Coloccini - 7 - Looked a little shaky to start, but really settled into the game in the second half. Makes defending look easy.

N'Zogbia - 4 - Thank goodness he was up against Fletcher and not Ronaldo. Despite this, he let Fletcher score, almost an identical marking error to the one he made preseason.

Milner - 6 - Can't pass to save his life, but made an important contribution when we were defending.

Guthrie - 7 - Did a good job, and released the ball very well time and time again.

Gutierrez - 9 - If a manager wants a winger to perform exceptionally versus Manchester United, they'll make the player study Jonas on tape from now on.

Duff - 6 - Struggled to get involved due to the nature of the game, but looked sharp.

Martins - 7 - Our best goal threat and scored. While other strikers are injured however, he needs to be more disciplined off the ball in open play.

can't agree with the taylor assessment but this is basically spot on...maybe an 8 for colo?

Guest MagicNumber9

Over the moon with result and performance, was I f**k expecting anything like that, I even put a tenna on us getting beat 3-0... :o

Jonas is gonna be a legend I think!

can't agree with the taylor assessment but this is basically spot on...maybe an 8 for colo?

some people seem to have some sort of vendetta against taylor, fuck knows why

Taylor played really well.

I probably don't need to say that I thought Duff was our worst player. When I see him play, I'm somehow reminded of a line from Mark Kermode's review of Pirates of the Caribbean 2 - "Nothing happened. I mean, a bunch of stuff happened but nothing actually happened."

I genuinely think that, in the past on this forum, i've been a close second/third in the Duff hatred scale to you Wullie. But i just think that's plain wrong. Atleast he knew what he was doing, unlike N'Zogbia and Butt (for the most part). He didn't concede possession, fannied about one too many times aye, but it was Man Utd - one of the msot compact teams in the Premiership when you consider their closing down mentality. He had three men on him when he received the ball at times. He needed to make himself more available at times, yes, but he didn't have a particularly bad game.

Not like he horrendously surrendered posession in dangerous areas, and gave away daft free-kicks in even more dangerous areas like Butt. Or basically had no 'product', never mind end product, like Milner.

I wouldn't have him in my starting line-up when everyone was fit, and i'm worried that KK fancies him on the wing when Owen comes back, but to say he was our worst player today is just plain wrong imo.

i'm with wullie here..butt made one of the worst passes i've ever seen today, amidst a shitload of other mistakes, yet i struggle to think of a single thing duff achieved in the game other than looking "busy" that would elevate him above butt

duff = smith for me, now that duff is fit...they both need a taxi to the glue factory

Guthrie was my man of the match by a long mile. Kept us ticking when in possession. He uses the pirouettes to very good effect, and unlike the center mids we had before him, releases the ball early, and is an excellent passer. Brilliant corner as well, which makes for a change, as at least we threatened from a couple of them today.

Great start for all the lads, and I'm sure the King will instill even more confidence in them to go to the Emirates and get a result like we did today.

Special mention to Gutierrez who played out of his skin. He will be a massive hit.

Football and NUFC.....fucking good to have you back

Also, unlike recent seasons, our players actually looked fit and sharp!! Hopefully long gone are the days of lethargy and players dragging their feet to complete the 90. We were focused, and we had 11 captains out there today.

Impressive

there you go again mate, stop taking everything so seriously.

HATE for Duff

DIABOLICAL Coloccini

:nope: :nope: :nope:

are you just trying to wind me up here?  or are you a f***ing idiot?

there you go again man, are you trying to fill a sunday quota for negative things to say?

there you go again mate, stop taking everything so seriously.

HATE for Duff

DIABOLICAL Coloccini

:nope: :nope: :nope:

are you just trying to wind me up here?  or are you a f***ing idiot?

there you go again man, are you trying to fill a sunday quota for negative things to say?

well you've got me dude, i've no idea how to proceed so fair play to you

i'm off to buy my argentina shirt, you?

Brilliant corner as well, which makes for a change, as at least we threatened from a couple of them today.

Football and NUFC.....f***ing good to have you back

Aye, it's a while since we've seen anyone being able to clear the first defender from corners. Hopefully we'll get a few more like that this year.

Guest neesy111

great result, great performance

jonas looks a treat of a player i.e. ginola style

taylor look really good

after manusa equalised it was a very even game, (if only taylor didn't get injured, it would of been very interesting after we scored)

and if ONLY MIKE FUCKING RILEY WASN'T A MAN UTD FAN, BLATANT SENDING OFF  :angry:

Aagree with above poster that we finished the stronger and fitness levels look better than in recent years. Thought everything was impressive aprt from Zog's positioning and Butt's ability to play a suicide ball. Upgrade Duff as well and we may have promise for the season ahead.

Guest shagthefluff

back from the game and proud as punch with the team. will mention all three signings were class but jonas is brill-class player class attitude.first time ive been away for ages and been excited at our play against one of the top sides. taylor i thought was very good today but he needs to keep this level of performance up.delghted with the result

:snod: :aww: :celb: :smug: :snod:

Agree with whoever said Guthrie takes a good corner, near enough the exact same spot he picked Duff out on against Valencia.

Yep... wonder why he doesn't take them from both sides.

Better corner taker than Milner, Geremi and Emre put together, from what we've seen so far. Two corners and two goals in a row at that point.

Given - 9      Excellent

Beye - 6        Did his job, nothing special

Coloccini - 6  Did his job, nothing special

Taylor - 7      Impressive

N'Zogbia - 5  Below par

Butt - 6        Did his job, nothing special

Guthrie - 7    Impressive

Milner - 6      Did his job, nothing special

Jonas - 8,5  Very, very good

Duff - 5        Below par 

Martins - 7    Impressive