Manchester United 1 - 1 Newcastle - 17/08/08 - post match reaction from page 26

Dave

Never saw 1 minute of the game

Got thrown out for FUCK ALL

Probably the sickest thing thats ever happened to me, getting arrested n shit

Glad the lads got a decent result, never seen much of the game, but the parts i did see in the bar we seemed in control

Glad the lads got a decent result, never seen much of the game, but the parts i did see in the bar we seemed in control

What happenned?

I just get visions of Shorty from Scary Movie.

You must have got thrown out for something, go on tell us. Did you actually get arrested?

Ashley apparently has a "skinhead cut" according to the Sun. Fascinating journalism.

SUN EXCLUSIVE:  QUEEN LAYS A CLEVELAND STEAMER.

GO TO SUN.CO.UK FOR EXCLUSIVE PICS

Reading that article again, we're actually notably praised - by a Custis no less (the other one though, Neil). Plenty of hints at an optimistic future for us according to him.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article4552854.ece

Manchester United frustrated by spirited Newcastle United

Oliver Kay

Let us start at the very end, when the final whistle blew and a delighted Kevin Keegan disappeared into a huddle with his coaching staff while Sir Alex Ferguson wore the look of a man who had just missed the last bus home. The goals and the points had been shared, but the elation of Newcastle United’s supporters was in stark contrast to the mood among the home fans, who may have been wondering what kind of deficit their team will face when they return to Old Trafford in late September.

By a quirk of the fixture list, complicated by their participation in the Uefa Super Cup against Zenit St Petersburg on August 29, in Monaco, United do not have another home game in the Barclays Premier League until the visit of Bolton Wanderers on September 27, by which time they will have been to Portsmouth, Liverpool and Chelsea without the injured Cristiano Ronaldo. This was not the game in which they would have expected to drop points in a tough start to the season, but, with Ronaldo sidelined, Carlos Tévez absent because of a family bereavement and Dimitar Berbatov yet to complete his protracted move from Tottenham Hotspur, they lacked the wit and the penetration to break down a surprisingly spirited Newcastle.

A draw at Old Trafford on the opening day of the season is not necessarily a portent for a successful campaign, as Reading’s experience last term showed, but, for Keegan, it was worth celebrating. Newcastle were lucky to meet the European champions on an off-day, but, with his team taking an early lead through Obafemi Martins and then reasserting themselves after Darren Fletcher’s equaliser, Keegan was entitled to laud the performance of his side, not least his three new signings, Fabricio Coloccini, Danny Guthrie and Jonas Guttiérez.

“It was a good performance and I thought we thoroughly deserved a draw,” Keegan said. “You can’t afford to carry anyone when you come here; the attitude has to be spot-on. But I had a really good feeling after watching them train on Saturday. The attitude was spot-on and I’ve told them in the dressing-room that if they can come here and do that, they can go anywhere and do it.”

Such statements will have Newcastle’s supporters fantasising about the good times returning to Tyneside and, while they should not get too far ahead of themselves, the performances of their three new players were encouraging. Coloccini, who completed his £10 million move from Deportivo La Coruña on Friday, had an uncomfortable start in the centre of defence, but improved as the afternoon went on; Guthrie, who failed to make the grade at Liverpool, performed with diligence and composure in midfield; and Guttiérez showed that there is more to him than a frankly disturbing obsession with Spider-Man.

At least four fans in the away end could be seen wearing Spider-Man costumes and, if this display, full of aggressive running, is a sign of things to come from the Argentina winger, fancy-dress shops on Tyneside can expect busy months ahead.

Newcastle had the temerity to take the lead on a ground where they lost 6-0 last season, with the incredulity of their supporters perceptible during the briefest of silences that preceded the celebratory roar. Guthrie swung over a corner from the right and, with Fletcher napping, Martins sent a firm header past Edwin van der Sar. Ferguson expressed alarm afterwards that a player of the Nigerian’s height (or rather lack of it) should have scored such a goal.

A strange performance from the home team was characterised by Fletcher. He scored United’s equalising goal in the 24th minute, darting ahead of Charles N’Zogbia to poke Ryan Giggs’s cross past Shay Given, and it was just as well he did score given that, as well as being at fault for Newcastle’s goal, the midfield player repeatedly incurred the wrath of Wayne Rooney during the first half.

Rooney started the game with great purpose, sending in a delicious cross from which Fraizer Campbell, who impressed on loan to Hull City last season, would have scored a debut goal had his header not caught Given on the forehead. Campbell was among the few positives for United, with the youngster again forcing Given into a more orthodox save in the second half, but it was asking a lot of him to step into the gap left by the absences of Tévez and Ronaldo and the continuing stalemate with Tottenham over Berbatov.

By the end, having replaced Giggs and Campbell with Rodrigo Possebon and Rafael Da Silva, two Brazilian teenagers, United had two full backs, Da Silva and Patrice Evra, operating on the wings and Rooney ever more isolated in attack. Apart from Vidic heading against the crossbar with 16 minutes remaining, United barely threatened in the second half and it was telling that, as their frustration grew, three United players were booked in the closing stages.

Not a great start for the champions, for whom a game of catchup beckons, but, reassuringly, the cavalry, Berbatov included, is on its way.

Man Utd ratings

4-4-2 E van der Sar 5 W Brown Y 5 R Ferdinand 7 N Vidic 6 P Evra 6 D Fletcher 5 M Carrick 5 P Scholes 7 R Giggs 6 F Campbell Y 6 W Rooney Y 6

Substitutes J O’Shea (for Carrick, 25min 5), R Possebon (for Giggs, 63 5), R Da Silva (for Campbell, 80) Not used T Kuszczak, G Neville, J Evans, D Gibson. Next: Portsmouth (a)

Newcastle ratings

4-4-1-1 S Given 7 H Beye 6 S Taylor 7 F Coloccini 6 C N’Zogbia 5 J Milner 6 N Butt 6 D Guthrie 7 J Guttiérez 7 D Duff 5 O Martins 7

Substitutes not used S Harper, J Enrique, S Bassong, D Edgar, Gérémi, A Smith, R Donaldson. Next: Bolton (h)

A reasonably fair article overall aside from the strange comment about Guttiérez (sic).

Jonas is a fucking demon, so pleased with his debut, Colo looked nervous at first but you could see his quality as time went on. I have to give credit to Taylor for a very good performance as i've been critical of him in the past. Happy with Guthrie too, neat passing and mostly forwards, which is a nice change. Give me a left back as good as beye, someone to replace the ludicrous nicky butt, and a viduka thats fit and i'll be over the moon.

Well done lads.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article4552854.ece

Manchester United frustrated by spirited Newcastle United

Oliver Kay

Let us start at the very end, when the final whistle blew and a delighted Kevin Keegan disappeared into a huddle with his coaching staff while Sir Alex Ferguson wore the look of a man who had just missed the last bus home. The goals and the points had been shared, but the elation of Newcastle United’s supporters was in stark contrast to the mood among the home fans, who may have been wondering what kind of deficit their team will face when they return to Old Trafford in late September.

By a quirk of the fixture list, complicated by their participation in the Uefa Super Cup against Zenit St Petersburg on August 29, in Monaco, United do not have another home game in the Barclays Premier League until the visit of Bolton Wanderers on September 27, by which time they will have been to Portsmouth, Liverpool and Chelsea without the injured Cristiano Ronaldo. This was not the game in which they would have expected to drop points in a tough start to the season, but, with Ronaldo sidelined, Carlos Tévez absent because of a family bereavement and Dimitar Berbatov yet to complete his protracted move from Tottenham Hotspur, they lacked the wit and the penetration to break down a surprisingly spirited Newcastle.

A draw at Old Trafford on the opening day of the season is not necessarily a portent for a successful campaign, as Reading’s experience last term showed, but, for Keegan, it was worth celebrating. Newcastle were lucky to meet the European champions on an off-day, but, with his team taking an early lead through Obafemi Martins and then reasserting themselves after Darren Fletcher’s equaliser, Keegan was entitled to laud the performance of his side, not least his three new signings, Fabricio Coloccini, Danny Guthrie and Jonas Guttiérez.

“It was a good performance and I thought we thoroughly deserved a draw,” Keegan said. “You can’t afford to carry anyone when you come here; the attitude has to be spot-on. But I had a really good feeling after watching them train on Saturday. The attitude was spot-on and I’ve told them in the dressing-room that if they can come here and do that, they can go anywhere and do it.”

Such statements will have Newcastle’s supporters fantasising about the good times returning to Tyneside and, while they should not get too far ahead of themselves, the performances of their three new players were encouraging. Coloccini, who completed his £10 million move from Deportivo La Coruña on Friday, had an uncomfortable start in the centre of defence, but improved as the afternoon went on; Guthrie, who failed to make the grade at Liverpool, performed with diligence and composure in midfield; and Guttiérez showed that there is more to him than a frankly disturbing obsession with Spider-Man.

At least four fans in the away end could be seen wearing Spider-Man costumes and, if this display, full of aggressive running, is a sign of things to come from the Argentina winger, fancy-dress shops on Tyneside can expect busy months ahead.

Newcastle had the temerity to take the lead on a ground where they lost 6-0 last season, with the incredulity of their supporters perceptible during the briefest of silences that preceded the celebratory roar. Guthrie swung over a corner from the right and, with Fletcher napping, Martins sent a firm header past Edwin van der Sar. Ferguson expressed alarm afterwards that a player of the Nigerian’s height (or rather lack of it) should have scored such a goal.

A strange performance from the home team was characterised by Fletcher. He scored United’s equalising goal in the 24th minute, darting ahead of Charles N’Zogbia to poke Ryan Giggs’s cross past Shay Given, and it was just as well he did score given that, as well as being at fault for Newcastle’s goal, the midfield player repeatedly incurred the wrath of Wayne Rooney during the first half.

Rooney started the game with great purpose, sending in a delicious cross from which Fraizer Campbell, who impressed on loan to Hull City last season, would have scored a debut goal had his header not caught Given on the forehead. Campbell was among the few positives for United, with the youngster again forcing Given into a more orthodox save in the second half, but it was asking a lot of him to step into the gap left by the absences of Tévez and Ronaldo and the continuing stalemate with Tottenham over Berbatov.

By the end, having replaced Giggs and Campbell with Rodrigo Possebon and Rafael Da Silva, two Brazilian teenagers, United had two full backs, Da Silva and Patrice Evra, operating on the wings and Rooney ever more isolated in attack. Apart from Vidic heading against the crossbar with 16 minutes remaining, United barely threatened in the second half and it was telling that, as their frustration grew, three United players were booked in the closing stages.

Not a great start for the champions, for whom a game of catchup beckons, but, reassuringly, the cavalry, Berbatov included, is on its way.

Man Utd ratings

4-4-2 E van der Sar 5 W Brown Y 5 R Ferdinand 7 N Vidic 6 P Evra 6 D Fletcher 5 M Carrick 5 P Scholes 7 R Giggs 6 F Campbell Y 6 W Rooney Y 6

Substitutes J O’Shea (for Carrick, 25min 5), R Possebon (for Giggs, 63 5), R Da Silva (for Campbell, 80) Not used T Kuszczak, G Neville, J Evans, D Gibson. Next: Portsmouth (a)

Newcastle ratings

4-4-1-1 S Given 7 H Beye 6 S Taylor 7 F Coloccini 6 C N’Zogbia 5 J Milner 6 N Butt 6 D Guthrie 7 J Guttiérez 7 D Duff 5 O Martins 7

Substitutes not used S Harper, J Enrique, S Bassong, D Edgar, Gérémi, A Smith, R Donaldson. Next: Bolton (h)

A reasonably fair article overall aside from the strange comment about Guttiérez (sic).

wearing penis smell mask?

Wow! They are incredibly nice, not only about us but they're quite complementary of KK too.

A well written article, and I quite like the closing sentence...

Perhaps there is hope, after all. For Newcastle and for the rest of the Premier League.

My God my god my god my god I know we didnt win but that game was fucking mint. I remember watching the same fixture last season at Newcastle Students Union with 4 man u fans smirking at me as they went 5-0 nin 45 mins the bastards didnt even watch the whole game, they came in at half time and laughed at our club. Well I was expecting more of the same today, was AFRAID to expect anything else but damn we played well and the worst is over its piss easy from now on lads  :clap2:  :rolleyes:

Feeling a bit emotional as I am very drunk......... :blush:

Oh seen lots of criticism for Zog I dont see why he's being blamed for the first goal the cross came in from the right and the he tried to get across Fletcher, anywho mint game!

TEAM OF THE WEEK

GK: Shay Given (Newcastle)

RB: Jose Bosingwa (Chelsea)

CB: Anthony Gardner (Hull)

CB: David Wheater (Middlesbrough)

LB: Andre Ooijer (Blackburn)

RM: Jonas Gutierrez (Newcastle)

CM: Geovanni (Hull)

CM: Deco (Chelsea)

LM: Gareth Barry (Aston Villa)

ST: Gabriel Agbonlahor (Aston Villa)

ST: Dean Ashton (West Ham)

Manager: Paul Ince (Blackburn)

(Soccernet)

Firstly,my documented comments about Shay being over the top are totally unfounded-his break seems to have done him the world of good.Secondly,Colo and Taylor ,imo,will develop into a top class cb pairing,i thought both were immense today.Thirdly,the world and his dog knows Charlie isn't a left back,though Keegans nous,ensures his selection,by having Gutierrez,who in essence is Ginola with work rate,but less tricky and pacey,play in front of him.Thought Jonas was superb.Finally though,i thought Danny Guthrie was the best player on the park,his control,passing and reading of a situation were fantastic.This lad will play for England,no doubt about it.Keegan and his bravery deserve kudos also,his brave selection and tactics are something we Geordies havent see since Sir Bobby was sacked.

Im so confident,an emotion i havent felt about us for ages.

TEAM OF THE WEEK

GK: Shay Given (Newcastle)

RB: Jose Bosingwa (Chelsea)

CB: Anthony Gardner (Hull)

CB: David Wheater (Middlesbrough)

LB: Andre Ooijer (Blackburn)

RM: Jonas Gutierrez (Newcastle)

CM: Geovanni (Hull)

CM: Deco (Chelsea)

LM: Gareth Barry (Aston Villa)

ST: Gabriel Agbonlahor (Aston Villa)

ST: Dean Ashton (West Ham)

Manager: Paul Ince (Blackburn)

(Soccernet)

I know it was only Stoke but Bolton deserve a player in there as well.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/aug/18/premierleague.manchesterunited1

As opening games go, Manchester United's defence of the Premier League began with a demonstration of why the club fought so hard to repel Real Madrid's summer advances for their most penetrative player. Cristiano Ronaldo could be located at Old Trafford yesterday sitting apart from the other injured players, with his baseball cap the wrong way around and unaware or unconcerned that one of the fanzines being sold on Sir Matt Busby Way described him as a "preening, perma-tanned, posturing, petulant prick". It is all a matter of taste but what cannot be disputed is that Sir Alex Ferguson's team do not inspire the same fear in opponents when he is in the stand.

Without a win here since 1972, facing the European Cup holders and with the bruising memories of last season's 6-0 drubbing still in their minds, it is fair to say the average Newcastle follower could have been forgiven for fearing the worst when they were handed a trip to Old Trafford to usher in the new season. Instead, Newcastle had the audacity to take the lead through Obafemi Martins and even though it lasted only two minutes they continued to play with confidence, resulting in a far more accomplished performance than their normal showings here.

At times they rode their luck and a reasonable argument could also be made that this was a good time to face the champions given the number of senior players unavailable to Ferguson, Carlos Tevez joining the list yesterday after being allowed compassionate leave because of a family bereavement. Nonetheless, it was a surprisingly erratic performance from the side in the red, while one from Newcastle that few would have anticipated. And so it was a game in which the usual Old Trafford humiliation for Newcastle never materialised and their opponents became so frustrated a rattled Wayne Rooney resorted to scything down opponents, Rio Ferdinand could be seen exchanging angry words with Ryan Giggs and Ferguson, all arms and larynx, spent the last few minutes out of his dug-out, imploring his players to raise their game.

By then, Ferguson had brought on Rafael da Silva and Rodrigo Possebon, two Brazilian teenagers of rich promise but whose presence here demonstrated the lack of options while Ronaldo, Louis Saha, Park Ji-Sung and Owen Hargreaves are injured, Nani is suspended, Tevez is in Argentina and Anderson at the Olympic Games. To add to a "disappointing" day for Ferguson, Michael Carrick limped off with an ankle that could rule him out for up to three weeks and Giggs also had to leave the pitch early because of his recurrent hamstring problems.

In the absence of Tevez, Rooney was partnered by Fraizer Campbell, a 20-year-old making his debut after spending last season on loan at Hull City. Talented yet raw, he could have scored after seven minutes when his flying header from Rooney's cross ricocheted off Shay Given's forehead for one of the more unusual saves Newcastle's goalkeeper will ever make. Given denied the same player with a more orthodox dive in the second half but, that apart, Campbell did little to trouble Newcastle's defence before he, too, was injured. Rooney was far more involved but found himself drifting too far back into his own half at times and Ferguson acknowledged that the striker was not at his sharpest.

The credit should go to a Newcastle defence in which Steven Taylor was superb and Fabricio Coloccini recovered from a nervous start to demonstrate why Newcastle had thought him worthy of paying Deportivo de La Coruña £10.3m. Another new recruit, Jonas Gutierrez, was equally impressive when Newcastle attacked, combining pace and drive on the left wing, whereas Danny Guthrie looks an extremely shrewd signing from Liverpool. Keegan later described him as the game's outstanding performer.

Ferguson will feel the outcome might have been very different had Mike Riley awarded a penalty, inside the opening two minutes, when James Milner blocked Giggs's free-kick with his arm, although Gutierrez also had a decent claim early on after being barged to the floor by Nemanja Vidic. After that, the home side created most of the better chances and, in the closing stages, Vidic struck the crossbar, but Kevin Keegan was entitled to say that his players had deserved the draw.

Newcastle will also reflect on their misfortune when Taylor hurt himself in the build-up to Martins heading in the opening goal, in an astonishing amount of space, from Guthrie's corner. If anyone in the away end dared to think they might finally witness a victory at Old Trafford, those hopes quickly evaporated. With Taylor having treatment, Newcastle briefly lost their shape in defence and Giggs picked out Darren Fletcher, who stole in front of Charles N'Zogbia to flick the ball past Given. Thereafter, United's frustrations provoked a sense of déjà vu from the corresponding weekend last season when Reading emerged with a goalless draw. Ferguson was correct when he said it was not a disaster but it does represent a surprise, to say the least.

Man of the match Steven Taylor

It sums up his influence in the Newcastle United defence that his brief absence from the pitch to receive treatment coincided with Darren Fletcher scoring Manchester United's equaliser

Best moment Any one of the blocks, clearances, headers and interceptions during the passages of play when the home side looked like getting on top

Not so sure about the underlined section, to say the least...