Jose Enrique

Tooj

Form, looks a bit disinterested.

I'm hoping like i suspected from Gutierrez tonight, Keegan has told him to take it easy and not pick up an injury but who knows.

I thought he took a couple of games to get up to speed last season, he probably just needs games.

I put that down to newness to the premiership last season. He should be settled by now and up for it.

Guest optimistic nit

Enrique has to play against Arsenal - the Zog would have too many balls played inside hime for overlapping players. Zog on the left of midfield please.

and drop gutierrez ?

move him onto the right.

unless he really isn't as good there, in which case zog could still challenge for a cm or rw spot imo.

we dont have a shearer or ferdinand any more so wingers that cut in could be more keegan's thing, and more than one of owens headed goals this and last season have come from inswinging crosses. he seems to like them.

zog's right foot is also pretty decent, at shooting anyway.

n'zogbia hasn't done enough in the past 2 years in either position to consider shifting the team round for him. hope he proves it in the future.

you might be right, but we are lacking an nzogbia in our midfield, unless milner carries on from tonights superb performance, so i think we should consider it.

Beye: i hope and think that its just match fitness, he has looked average in our 3 games so far, but thats hardly much to judge from, i dont really think he seems disinterested.

Enrique: looked very good, but i would still start nzogbia against the arse, for the reasons i mention above.

jonas: he's still my motm.

Enrique has to play against Arsenal - the Zog would have too many balls played inside hime for overlapping players. Zog on the left of midfield please.

and drop gutierrez ?

move him onto the right.

unless he really isn't as good there, in which case zog could still challenge for a cm or rw spot imo.

we dont have a shearer or ferdinand any more so wingers that cut in could be more keegan's thing, and more than one of owens headed goals this and last season have come from inswinging crosses. he seems to like them.

zog's right foot is also pretty decent, at shooting anyway.

n'zogbia hasn't done enough in the past 2 years in either position to consider shifting the team round for him. hope he proves it in the future.

you might be right, but we are lacking an nzogbia in our midfield, unless milner carries on from tonights superb performance, so i think we should consider it.

Beye: i hope and think that its just match fitness, he has looked average in our 3 games so far, but thats hardly much to judge from, i dont really think he seems disinterested.

Enrique: looked very good, but i would still start nzogbia against the arse, for the reasons i mention above.

jonas: he's still my motm.

Zog had a stormer tonight.OK he was playing against a well past it Marcus Hall,on his wrong side but he took the piss out of him basically.

I put that down to newness to the premiership last season. He should be settled by now and up for it.

He doesn't look sharp yet but we'll see over the coming weeks how he's going to play, I think he'll be OK.

Guest optimistic nit

aye, i dont actually remember zog being tackled all game. it was emarrassing for them at times, he ghosted past their defenders.

i would still play nzogbia against arsenal, but drop enrique in after that. one team that you dont want to play against with someone like enrique in the team is arsenal. it would also be his first league game of the season. play him against hull though.

What's "someone like Enrique"? A good defender as opposed to a shit one?

someone who can make the odd mistake (like taylor).

N'Zogbia makes more defensive mistakes plus he's nowhere near as good a defender as Enrique..

i would still play nzogbia against arsenal, but drop enrique in after that. one team that you dont want to play against with someone like enrique in the team is arsenal. it would also be his first league game of the season. play him against hull though.

N'Zogbia makes more defensive mistakes plus he's nowhere near as good a defender as Enrique..

This.

Guest optimistic nit

This.

i would say it is about equal myself, but zog has more pace and will find it easier to recover against a fast team such as arsenal. we've only conceded 1 goal in 2 with our PL back 4, so i'd like it to stay the same against arsenal. enrique is a better defender than the zog, but hasn't played yet this season in the PL and i would rather he had his first game against Hull at home than arsenal away. additionally if the zog gets intro trouble he will be better at getting out of it than enrique is.

I'd be furious if Enrique were to go. Such a good player; we've really got no problem whatsoever where left-back is concerned. I was beginning to believe that we did, purely cos of all the talk of Jose not being a great attacker, but the other night re-juvinated my faith in him. Good tackler, good acceleration, good positional awareness, cracking long ball on him, good understanding with those infront of him - and he's only 21 ffs. Keep him and play him; get cover if we need to, but Jose should be our main left-back. Lets Zog push up too where he's infinitely better.

I'd be furious if Enrique were to go. Such a good player; we've really got no problem whatsoever where left-back is concerned. I was beginning to believe that we did, purely cos of all the talk of Jose not being a great attacker, but the other night re-juvinated my faith in him. Good tackler, good acceleration, good positional awareness, cracking long ball on him, good understanding with those infront of him - and he's only 21 ffs. Keep him and play him; get cover if we need to, but Jose should be our main left-back. Lets Zog push up too where he's infinitely better.

Seconded, I don't where the talk in press and from fans about us needing a LB came from. We should show faith in Enrique and only bring in back up.

• 2 months later...

Enrique brought in as NUFC went for victory

Oct 30 2008 by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

JOE KINNEAR has admitted he “went for broke” in Tuesday night’s vital victory over West Bromwich Albion.

And that’s why the Newcastle United boss brought in Jose Enrique as his left-back – just a couple of days after singing the praises of Sebastien Bassong before Saturday’s derby defeat by Sunderland.

The Spanish Under-21 international has not had the best of starts to his season after trimming down on his weight in the summer.

And as a result Kinnear has preferred Bassong at left-back, even though the man from Metz prefers to operate as a central defender.

But after replacing Bassong with Enrique late on at Sunderland on Saturday, it was the £5.8m signing from Villarreal who got the nod on Tuesday night.

And Kinnear, himself a former full-back, told me today: “To be honest, I just decided to go for broke against West Brom on Tuesday night.

“Jose Enrique’s best attribute is getting forward. I don’t think he’s the best defender in the world, but we can work on that.

“I’ve got to educate him on that, and put him in that frame of mind.

“He probably gives us better options in the final third of the pitch. He likes to get forward, and we’ve just got to brush up on his defending.

“We’ll have to make sure we put that right, because his first priority should be to defend.”

United’s full-backs could hold the key when Aston Villa come to St James’s Park on Monday night, because Martin O'Neill has three excellent wingers in Gabriel Agbonlahor, Ashley Young and former United favourite James Milner.

This trio are just one of the reasons why Villa have helped themselves to seven goals in their last two matches.

And United can expect Monday’s oppo-nents to be tougher than their Midlands rivals West Brom were on Tuesday when it comes to going forward.

JOE KINNEAR has admitted he “went for broke” in Tuesday night’s vital victory over West Bromwich Albion.

And that’s why the Newcastle United boss brought in Jose Enrique as his left-back – just a couple of days after singing the praises of Sebastien Bassong before Saturday’s derby defeat by Sunderland.

The Spanish Under-21 international has not had the best of starts to his season after trimming down on his weight in the summer.

And as a result Kinnear has preferred Bassong at left-back, even though the man from Metz prefers to operate as a central defender.

But after replacing Bassong with Enrique late on at Sunderland on Saturday, it was the £5.8m signing from Villarreal who got the nod on Tuesday night.

And Kinnear, himself a former full-back, told me today: “To be honest, I just decided to go for broke against West Brom on Tuesday night.

“Jose Enrique’s best attribute is getting forward. I don’t think he’s the best defender in the world, but we can work on that.

“He probably gives us better options in the final third of the pitch. He likes to get forward, and we’ve just got to brush up on his defending.

“We’ll have to make sure we put that right, because his first priority should be to defend.”

United’s full-backs could hold the key when Aston Villa come to St James’s Park on Monday night, because Martin O'Neill has three excellent wingers in Gabriel Agbonlahor, Ashley Young and former United favourite James Milner.

This trio are just one of the reasons why Villa have helped themselves to seven goals in their last two matches.

And United can expect Monday’s oppo-nents to be tougher than their Midlands rivals West Brom were on Tuesday when it comes to going forward.

thats not quite how i see it joe.

JOE KINNEAR has admitted he went for broke in Tuesday nights vital victory over West Bromwich Albion.

And thats why the Newcastle United boss brought in Jose Enrique as his left-back just a couple of days after singing the praises of Sebastien Bassong before Saturdays derby defeat by Sunderland.

And Kinnear, himself a former full-back, told me today: To be honest, I just decided to go for broke against West Brom on Tuesday night.

Jose Enriques best attribute is getting forward. I dont think hes the best defender in the world, but we can work on that.

Ive got to educate him on that, and put him in that frame of mind.

He probably gives us better options in the final third of the pitch. He likes to get forward, and weve just got to brush up on his defending.

Well have to make sure we put that right, because his first priority should be to defend.

Uniteds full-backs could hold the key when Aston Villa come to St Jamess Park on Monday night, because Martin O'Neill has three excellent wingers in Gabriel Agbonlahor, Ashley Young and former United favourite James Milner.

And United can expect Mondays oppo-nents to be tougher than their Midlands rivals West Brom were on Tuesday when it comes to going forward.

Could Kinnear possibly do any more to be the anti-Keegan? :lol:

Interesting view, but to be fair, I don't think he defended very well against West Brom.

Makes you wonder what he's watching in training?

Makes you wonder what he's watching in training?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/85000/images/_87288_john_fashanu_wimbledon150.jpg

Thats because he does not defend very well, although I agree with Joe he is the manager and should not be saying such things in the press BUT ast least he is aware of it and lets hope he sorts Jose out.

last season i had him as the pick of our defenders (defensivly...beye was the pick all round). i was always confident that no-one would get past him but i think he only crossed the half way 3 times in all that time.