Jose Enrique

Tooj

Thats because he does not defend very well, although I agree with Joe he is the manager and should not be saying such things in the press BUT ast least he is aware of it and lets hope he sorts Jose out.

last season i had him as the pick of our defenders (defensivly...beye was the pick all round). i was always confident that no-one would get past him but i think he only crossed the half way 3 times in all that time.

Jose must be feeling pretty confused right now.

Enrique didn't defend very well the other night because he hasn't played for several weeks. I could harp on about Enrique but i'd just be repeating myself.

I'd be furious if Enrique were to go. Such a good player; we've really got no problem whatsoever where left-back is concerned. I was beginning to believe that we did, purely cos of all the talk of Jose not being a great attacker, but the other night re-juvinated my faith in him. Good tackler, good acceleration, good positional awareness, cracking long ball on him, good understanding with those infront of him - and he's only 21 ffs. Keep him and play him; get cover if we need to, but Jose should be our main left-back. Lets Zog push up too where he's infinitely better.

We've seen with a run of games that he's a very good asset to the team. Bored of saying the same thing for 12 months, really. Never understood how he's not been a regular.

Thats because he does not defend very well, although I agree with Joe he is the manager and should not be saying such things in the press BUT ast least he is aware of it and lets hope he sorts Jose out.

last season i had him as the pick of our defenders (defensivly...beye was the pick all round). i was always confident that no-one would get past him but i think he only crossed the half way 3 times in all that time.

I stuck up for Enrique for the same reason. He has the odd Taylor moment but defensively he was very solid last season, and his main weakness was his reluctance to get forward. Although when he did get down the flank he used the ball quite well usually.

I still think he'll come good this season if he gets a decent run in the team.

Guest firetotheworks

Aye, thought he was decent against West Brom and tonight I thought he was composed and his passing was laser guided at times.

He was great today, did very little wrong.

We've now got a pair of impressively solid and intelligent fullbacks who aren't afraid of running or putting a good pass in, and in Bassong decent cover. Still need another RB in my opinion.

He was great today, did very little wrong.

We've now got a pair of impressively solid and intelligent fullbacks who aren't afraid of running or putting a good pass in, and in Bassong decent cover. Still need another RB in my opinion.

That's a given, but I don't think it's that bad. I've got no problem whatsoever of having Geremi or Taylor playing there if Beye's out. (as long as we don't see Edgar anywhere near that position again anyway)

The one criticism I've always had with Enrique is that he causes himself more problems than any wingers cause him by trying to play himself out of trouble rather than putting it in row Z, if he cuts that out of his game then he's got the potential to be top quality.

Excellent tonight btw.

The one criticism I've always had with Enrique is that he causes himself more problems than any wingers cause him by trying to play himself out of trouble rather than putting it in row Z, if he cuts that out of his game then he's got the potential to be top quality.

Excellent tonight btw.

in the first half he partially caused the Barton freekick after trying to pass to one of our players instead of blasting it upfield. but in the second half in a similar situation he calmly put it behind for a corner. So still a bit to improve on but he's learning.

I think we have a fine pair of defensive full-backs, only weaknesses are the one above and Beye's tendency to stand off too much. A prob for me is that neither are great attackers who can add something to our game going forward, though saying this, Beye's cross last week was great.

Excellent tonight btw.

in the first half he partially caused the Barton freekick after trying to pass to one of our players instead of blasting it upfield. but in the second half in a similar situation he calmly put it behind for a corner. So still a bit to improve on but he's learning.

I think we have a fine pair of defensive full-backs, only weaknesses are the one above and Beye's tendency to stand off too much. A prob for me is that neither are great attackers who can add something to our game going forward, though saying this, Beye's cross last week was great.

The thing is, I can see Enrique turning out to be similar to Geremi going forward in that he's never going to get to the touchline but he's capable of dropping decent balls in from a deeper position.

he'll be right.

Not great but not bad either.

It seems most spanish players in the premier league need a run of games and the manager's confidence before they play well. 

At least he's infinitely better than babayaro...

thought he was poor last night tbh and fills me with no confidence. I say this because, for example, a couple of times when he committed himself to challenge a midfielder and then the ball was playted behind him to agbonlahor, he just jogged back, no effort to make up the ground and a couple of times when it was clear the ball would be played dolwn  the right to GA he didnt follow ga's run and looked lost.

Give over, he made a couple of mistakes and that makes him "poor"? I'm not going to pretend we did everything right last night but you're being far too negative about a good result.

• 1 year later...

Rushed back.

Really? Jose didn't seem to think so prematch, and considering Hughtons caution over injuries, I think that is just an easy conclusion to come to with little to back it up tbh.

I'm not sure whether Jose looked pissed for being pulled off too quickly or genuinely was in trouble. Hope he's ok. :undecided: