Newcastle 1 - 0 Bolton Wanderers - 23/08/08 - Post match reaction from page 15

James

I would have sworn we won yesterday but if you read the posts in this thread you wouldn't know it.

As above.

3 points and we didnt play well.  Surely thats a good thing if we can grind out 3 points vs anti football teams???

I was there and we werent nearly as bad as half of the posts in here make out.

certain players were hopeless

I would have sworn we won yesterday but if you read the posts in this thread you wouldn't know it.

As above.

3 points and we didnt play well.  Surely thats a good thing if we can grind out 3 points vs anti football teams???

I was there and we werent nearly as bad as half of the posts in here make out.

certain players were hopeless

this.  no issue with most of what we saw yesterday, just with say 1-2 performances really that were really very poor in indeed, in duff's case i can't find the words to be honest...at least if we actually only started the game with 10 men there'd be more space for real footballers

positives to keep people happy though; played as a team, battled a physical team, spidey, colo, beye, guthrie, owen amongst others, oh and given of course!

on the AM note i think we saw owen make a big difference (aside from the goal) when he came on simply 'cause his ability to find space appears to not be limited to the box, when we're coming forward he drops neatly in between the oppositions MD & DF, protects the ball when it's played into him and that then creates the space for other to make runs and gamble

pity we can't rely on him for fitness as if we could (as much as you ever can i suppose) then a good CM would suffice plus a saviola type who can play both FW roles for when owens injured...in fact that would do anyways for me, a beardsley-esque player is the priority, not an orthodox CM with better passing; arshavin basically

Aye, I reckon I'd take Arshavin now, even for £20m. :(

Lot of money but could well prove worth it in long run.

on the AM note i think we saw owen make a big difference (aside from the goal) when he came on simply 'cause his ability to find space appears to not be limited to the box, when we're coming forward he drops neatly in between the oppositions MD & DF, protects the ball when it's played into him and that then creates the space for other to make runs and gamble

pity we can't rely on him for fitness as if we could (as much as you ever can i suppose) then a good CM would suffice plus a saviola type who can play both FW roles for when owens injured...in fact that would do anyways for me, a beardsley-esque player is the priority, not an orthodox CM with better passing; arshavin basically

Aye, I reckon I'd take Arshavin now, even for £20m. :(

Lot of money but could well prove worth it in long run.

indeed

Not the greatest performance but I think we deserved to win despite nearly shooting ourselves in the foot with the penalty (Steven, keep your fucking hands out the way for Christ's sake).

Bolton are a horrible team who tried to do the same as last season and kill the game stone dead but Owen and Geremi are such a good combination from wide and their quality shone through.

Oh, and hat trick against Hartlepool or not, I stand completely uncorrected on Damien Duff.

Guest hikickry

Not the greatest performance but I think we deserved to win despite nearly shooting ourselves in the foot with the penalty (Steven, keep your f***ing hands out the way for Christ's sake).

Bolton are a horrible team who tried to do the same as last season and kill the game stone dead but Owen and Geremi are such a good combination from wide and their quality shone through.

Oh, and hat trick against Hartlepool or not, I stand completely uncorrected on Damien Duff.

did you see the bolton forum? some of their fans were wanting megson to defend the 1-0 scoreline, damage limitation. i couldnt believe what i was reading. they would rather defend a defeat then risk conceding more goals. talk about anti-football  :idiot2:

Not the greatest performance but I think we deserved to win despite nearly shooting ourselves in the foot with the penalty (Steven, keep your fucking hands out the way for Christ's sake).

I said that straight away after the match it was the same old Duff. Obviously those people who never even went to the game decided that he was due a resurgence though despite not actually witnessing his performance.

I don't think KK's going to make any chances to a winning line-up/formation but I'd really like to see us playing a midfield as below...

N'Zogbia   Milner   Gutierrez

Guthrie  Butt

Jonas' preferred position is a RIGHT winger and as said like million times already Zog's not a defender but offers a lot more when going forward! Milner can't beat his man on the wing but could do a lot better in the centre because of his decent close control(not to mention his horrible crossing because it wouldn't be needed in the more central role). And against the Gunners...we defo should play 5 in the midfield with a lone striker(Owen...because Oba's out).

Guest Howaythetoon

That 20? pass move that Milner headed over... would have been goal of the season. We put together another similar move that involved Jonas, Butt and N'Zogbia down the left too. In the mix of the averageness of this game, we played some good stuff I thought and what was very encouraging was rather than lumping it forward when we had nowt on, we started all over again. Mind the idiot behind me didn't seem to agree this was good play, "get it forward man, we're going back on ourselves", he said that when we put together that 20? pass move and had the temerity at the end of it to say "that's more like it" :lol:

I don't think KK's going to make any chances to a winning line-up/formation but I'd really like to see us playing a midfield as below...

N'Zogbia   Milner   Gutierrez

Guthrie  Butt

Jonas' preferred position is a RIGHT winger and as said like million times already Zog's not a defender but offers a lot more when going forward! Milner can't beat his man on the wing but could do a lot better in the centre because of his decent close control(not to mention his horrible crossing because it wouldn't be needed in the more central role). And against the Gunners...we defo should play 5 in the midfield with a lone striker(Owen...because Oba's out).

But but.. Owen is not suitable for a lone striker role.... x.x and Owen plays deep remember?

I thought it was an excellent performance.

Bolton pack a midfield like no other team and are probably the hardest team in the Prem to play against and break down, they will get points against the so called "big four" and beat a lot of lesser teams with that horrible style.

We had to be patient in possession - we were and waited for the breakthrough. I thought the new signings all looked very good and Michael Owen - what can you say he just makes it look so easy.

It's great people coming up with different midfield formations and saying this is the solution, the problem is the players aren't good enough, simple as that, once we that midfielder in that we all know we need our midfield will be much improved.

We weren't on form but picked up the 3 points and played some decent football. Jonas again looked a class act, agree with the previous comments that he will have caught the eye of Champs League level clubs with his early performances. Colo looked great too, solid as a rock and good with the ball on the deck.

who was the black guy that warmed up for Bolton but never came on ? He was possible the biggest footballer I've ever seen. He looked like Big John Coffee out of Green Mile.

Some people on here are not looking at the bigger picture. Bolton came to SJP to stifle us, play the long ball and pack their own half. Yet we managed to hold our nerve, stick to our style and get a win that we deserved.

We won't have to this every game.

Guest micky_123

I reckon Jonas is going to win us a fair share of penalties this year.  And he might get a number of defenders booked too.  Second game in a row he's been played clean through - Vidic made one of the most perfect tackles you'll ever see last weekend and Joey O'Brien hauled him down to take a yellow today.  He looks so dangerous in those situations.

I noticed that as well... strange that he was the only one bar Given not there. Worries me slightly.

I have a strange habit of closely observing how teams celebrate their goals........apparently Jonas didn't bother to celebrate with the goal scorer today and last week at OT. I like (I know it's odd) seeing the whole Newcastle team celebrating (except Shay for obvious reason).

I've just remembered one move in the second half when we had probably 20 passes before shooting, it would have been goal of the season if we'd scored from that.

Glad someone pointed this out, MOTD didn't show it.

Quality football; a patient build up and a great move that would have resulted in a fucking outstanding goal if finished off (which it should have been - Geremi wasn't it?). If that was Arsenal the media would have been shitting themselves.

That one move alone gives me confidence for this season, it showed real promise.

I've just remembered one move in the second half when we had probably 20 passes before shooting, it would have been goal of the season if we'd scored from that.

Glad someone pointed this out, MOTD didn't show it.

Quality football; a patient build up and a great move that would have resulted in a f***ing outstanding goal if finished off (which it should have been - Geremi wasn't it?). If that was Arsenal the media would have been shitting themselves.

That one move alone gives me confidence for this season, it showed real promise.

The header Milner just missed was also from a very patient possession build up similar to the one Geremi got on the end of.

Excellent display yesterday against the Premierships most frustrating team.

God bolton are horrible.

It would of been a knife through the heart of football if Bolton scored that pen yesterday.

Absolutely.

As i posted earlier

Football 1-0 Anti Football