James Milner joins Aston Villa - £12m!

Ally
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'd rather have the money to spend, I think we can do better than Pennant and Benayoun.

Touché. Just thinking about the timescale involved and the fact we seem non too chuffed to be paying Leeds this cut (trying to buy it out etc).

I wonder how it would work were we to do a swap deal?

Depends on the small print I suppose, there must be something in there to cover their arse in case we swap him?

£10m is insane...but I'd still only sell if we can get a replacement in before the end of the window.

I'd take the 10 mill and risk it.

Would leave a hole in the squad.

It would but it's worth the risk isn't it? I'd be more than happy shifting Gutierrez on the right and putting Zog on the left, then we have Geremi or Duff who neither are ideal but will do.

I don't think so, if we can get £10m+ now I can't see why we couldn't get that in January if we couldn't find a replacement straight away. Its not like Milner is getting on or has just come off an amazing season so people are overrating him.

I can see Milner getting a lot of abuse from the stands over this so keeping him until January wouldn't be in our best interests.

I am sure they would quickly get over it. Especially if Keegan came out in the lads defence and asked for the fans backing on it.

I'd rather have the money to spend, I think we can do better than Pennant and Benayoun.

Touché. Just thinking about the timescale involved and the fact we seem non too chuffed to be paying Leeds this cut (trying to buy it out etc).

We are not still 100% sure, it's Milner that Bates was reffering too, the old board didn't often negioate sell on clauses. I have a feeling it may very well be Lennon, it is the sort of thing Spuds do.

As to the question, not sure I rate Benyoun that highly, I would probably take one of there youngsters and pennant. Or don't shoot me here, Kuyt plus a couple of million.

How much did we pay for Milner? £3.5m? he was pretty young at the time and for that fee I'd imagine any sell on clause would be pretty low.  Lennon went for £1.5m I believe, so if anyone had a sell on clause I'd bet it would be Lennon over Milner, purely because of the difference in fee.

£10m is insane...but I'd still only sell if we can get a replacement in before the end of the window.

It would but it's worth the risk isn't it? I'd be more than happy shifting Gutierrez on the right and putting Zog on the left, then we have Geremi or Duff who neither are ideal but will do.

Duff's a crock. Zoggy hasn't been at his best for a while. Geremi has good delivery but no pace. Really wouldn't like to be relying on those 3.

N'Zogbia and Geremi are hardly worse options than Milner though tbf, quite a few thought we looked better when Geremi has played instead of him.

Duff's a crock. Zoggy hasn't been at his best for a while. Geremi has good delivery but no pace. Really wouldn't like to be relying on those 3.

N'Zogbia and Geremi are hardly worse options than Milner though tbf, quite a few thought we looked better when Geremi has played instead of him.

N'Zogbia is a gamble for a number of reason and can we expect Geremi to last the entire season? Got a few assists but from what a few have said was barely moving towards the end of the season.

As said I would be very happy with £10m+ but he must be replaced.

I don't think so, if we can get £10m+ now I can't see why we couldn't get that in January if we couldn't find a replacement straight away. Its not like Milner is getting on or has just come off an amazing season so people are overrating him.

I can see Milner getting a lot of abuse from the stands over this so keeping him until January wouldn't be in our best interests.

I am sure they would quickly get over it. Especially if Keegan came out in the lads defence and asked for the fans backing on it.

I think you're clutching at straws on that one, if people think milner is sat here waiting for his move they will give him plenty of grief.

N'Zogbia is a gamble for a number of reason and can we expect Geremi to last the entire season? Got a few assists but from what a few have said was barely moving towards the end of the season.

Who said the end of the season? I'd be willing to go with that until January.

Even if Milner wasn't going anywhere I'd still play N'Zogbia and Jonas down the wings.

How long did it take Butt to get back in the good books and I reckon he was in a far worse position than Milner when he came back from Birmingham.

People were prepared to give Butt a chance because it was clear he was staying here, Milner on the other hand would be off and the fans would know that he didn't want to be here.

Who said the end of the season? I'd be willing to go with that until January.

Even if Milner wasn't going anywhere I'd still play N'Zogbia and Jonas down the wings.

Fair point.

I just think we are short as is so if we are getting rid of players who will contribute to the first 11 (and imo Milner would have got a lot of games this season) then they need to be replaced.

Thinking purely as a squad player Milner was good for 3 maybe 4 positons, £10m is a shit load for the lad but we are very light as is. £10m isn't going to due much sitting in a briefcase in the middle of the pitch (cue joke about the briefcase being faster than Milner) :D

Geremi's the very definition of a decent squad player. Not great, and not good enough to start every week, but a good professional who'll sit on the bench without whinging and do a job if required.

You know who's really bricking it now? Leeds fans.

Depending on how large the clause is, we might even give them enough money to get promoted. >:D

I figure I'm just going to relax and enjoy the ride on this one.

We are not still 100% sure, it's Milner that Bates was reffering too, the old board didn't often negioate sell on clauses. I have a feeling it may very well be Lennon, it is the sort of thing Spuds do.

As to the question, not sure I rate Benyoun that highly, I would probably take one of there youngsters and pennant. Or don't shoot me here, Kuyt plus a couple of million.

According to Leeds fans Spurs bought out Lennon's sell on clause when they were in administration.

How long did it take Butt to get back in the good books and I reckon he was in a far worse position than Milner when he came back from Birmingham.

People were prepared to give Butt a chance because it was clear he was staying here, Milner on the other hand would be off and the fans would know that he didn't want to be here.

I think you are selling the fans a little short but we wont know unless he stays. He hasn't (imo) done anything dirty to push for a transfer like a few this summer and hopefully the majority are intelligent enough to appreciate that and how professional and hardworking he has been for us in the past.

Maybe I am being naive though.

or Alonso and I'd give them a few million on top of Milner. Deffo wouldn't just take the cash ask for one (or more) of their players in exchange due to timing.

I know Milner is give all player but he's just been punked by the club because he took bad advice from the PFA - they know this because they released a statement on the matter within a very short time or us doing it. Fair play to Ashley et al. I think its a transition period for the club gettin the crap out and good players in and this won't happen in a year it may take two or three. I am not saying Milner is part of the crap he works hard but the facts speak for themselves and even the relegated teams wingers (stephen hunt) have got better stats.

I was watching one of the pre-season games on TV and one pass summed Milner up for me. We were breaking away and he went to play a pass come cross and it was so bad it hit the guy who was closing him down (about 6 yeards away) and clear as day (live on tv) I heard Guthrie shout fucking hell man directly at him. For 10m I would snap their fingers off too

I think you are selling the fans a little short but we wont know unless he stays. He hasn't (imo) done anything dirty to push for a transfer like a few this summer and hopefully the majority are intelligent enough to appreciate that and how professional and hardworking he has been for us in the past.

Becoming a parody of yourself I'm afraid Jon.

?

If Zog can play as a left back, I'm pretty sure he can do a job on the right wing. Or if we wanrt a huff and puff job, there's always Damien the *uff once he's fit.

?

It's almost as if you're playing along with the whole "Jon loves Milner" thing.

Look, he doesn't want to be here. It's not the first time he's actually wanted to leave. £10m is a stupid amount of money for a pretty average player, regardless of who we get in to replace him.