James Milner joins Aston Villa - £12m!

Ally
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

12 million!!!!!!!!!!!! Shows how things has gone IMO. I would go and like to buy a detatched house for 60K but in the current market it aint gonna happen. Perhaps someone should tell Ashley this so we can actually get players in like Aston Villa have / are doing. BTW researched their chairman and he has half of Ashleys wealth (if that!). Keegans ambition isnt being matched at the mo but I am reerving judgement till the window shuts.

eh?

Sorry I am posting in other topics too. Basically I look at Lerner who is valued at half (if that) of Ashley's wealth yet Villa have invested 10m in two full backs, 8m in Cuellar and now 12m on Milner (possibly). We seem to be trying to do things on the cheap (take Jonas and Guthrie and the arsing about on Colo over 1-2m for example). Lerner is telling MO to spend whereas we seem to be pussy footing around.

12 million!!!!!!!!!!!! Shows how things has gone IMO. I would go and like to buy a detatched house for 60K but in the current market it aint gonna happen. Perhaps someone should tell Ashley this so we can actually get players in like Aston Villa have / are doing. BTW researched their chairman and he has half of Ashleys wealth (if that!). Keegans ambition isnt being matched at the mo but I am reerving judgement till the window shuts.

We're owned by the Lerner family trust, which is run by Randy Lerner, his sister and his mother.

When daddy Lerner karked it, the three of them got 2bn dollars each, and Randy also got the Browns, valued at not much short of a billion dollars.

Money isn't an issue.

Its all very well going on about "buying players the way Villa are" but in the last year we've bought Marlon Harewood and Zat Knight. In the January window the only player we signed was Wayne Routledge.

With a paper thin squad last year, we've bought 7 players since, but have shipped 6 out, so we're only 1 up on where we were.

Also this talk of Man City, would you really want your club run like that? Players bought on the never never in a desperate attempt to keep up appearances? No ta.

Don't forget West Ham.

eh?

Sorry I am posting in other topics too. Basically I look at Lerner who is valued at half (if that) of Ashley's wealth yet Villa have invested 10m in two full backs, 8m in Cuellar and now 12m on Milner (possibly). We seem to be trying to do things on the cheap (take Jonas and Guthrie and the arsing about on Colo over 1-2m for example). Lerner is telling MO to spend whereas we seem to be pussy footing around.

If we get good players in cheaply (which we have), that's to be applauded, not criticised.

You seem to be moaning about the fact that we're being careful about our finances for once.

eh?

How much do you think Jonas would be worth without this Webster ruling? Didn't his club turn down around £8m 6 months ago? Just because we haven't paid vast sums it doesn't mean we haven't bought in quality players.

I do think we need 3-4 more but I am very happy with the 4 we have brought in. Hopefully there will be more before the end of the transfer window.

We're owned by the Lerner family trust, which is run by Randy Lerner, his sister and his mother.

When daddy Lerner karked it, the three of them got 2bn dollars each, and Randy also got the Browns, valued at not much short of a billion dollars.

Money isn't an issue.

Its all very well going on about "buying players the way Villa are" but in the last year we've bought Marlon Harewood and Zat Knight. In the January window the only player we signed was Wayne Routledge.  We've been heavily linked with Kevin Doyle. How would you have reacted to any of that at Newcastle? Too easy to say the grass is greener elsewhere.

With a paper thin squad last year, we've bought 7 players since, but have shipped 6 out, so we're only 1 up on where we were.

Also this talk of Man City, would you really want your club run like that? Players bought on the never never in a desperate attempt to keep up appearances? No ta.

Nope but to be fair if that is true then fine. However, its well reported that MO pussy foots around when it comes to transfers. How much did the lad from WBA cost you, 8-10m?? I am concerned at the penny pinching at out club  which includes the likes the of coaches leaving and not being replaced. Seems daft IMO but like I said I reserve judgement till the window shuts.

Oh do be quiet.

Quality post your batteries must have died in your keyboard.

Oh do be quiet.

My keyboard is wired, genius.

eh?

How much do you think Jonas would be worth without this Webster ruling? Didn't his club turn down around £8m 6 months ago? Just because we haven't paid vast sums it doesn't mean we haven't bought in quality players.

I do think we need 3-4 more but I am very happy with the 4 we have brought in. Hopefully there will be more before the end of the transfer window.

I aint critising but would agree with you totally however every man and his dog must know we need 3-4 players and sometimes you just have to pay over the odds. I think if we have the backing we should invest it to push on. If Villa want to pay 12m million it just shows what we are up against.

Oh do be quiet.

But you still but batteries in though

There is not a chance in hell we got that £13.4m for Woodgate, it was something like £9.6m plus extras if certain criteria's were met and I am 99% certain he couldnt have met any of those :lol:

Oh do be quiet.

But you still but batteries in though

err no? :lol:

12 million for milner? ;D

how much was deco?

£8 million. :lol:

there are a lot of things said about how much money there is in football these days, but if we get 12 million for james milner i'll be utterly lost for words, and almost as smug as when we sold jenas, people really need to get over the buying english thing.

Nope but to be fair if that is true then fine. However, its well reported that MO pussy foots around when it comes to transfers. How much did the lad from WBA cost you, 8-10m?? I am concerned at the penny pinching at out club  which includes the likes the of coaches leaving and not being replaced. Seems daft IMO but like I said I reserve judgement till the window shuts.

I guarantee you that if you stopped 10 Villa fans in the street and asked them what they thought about our transfer activity, 8 of them would say that MON needs to stop fucking about and start spending.

Last year we hardly pushed the boat out. Our net spend was pretty small, certainly lower than most. This year we've spent a little more  but the fact is we are still at the very least 4 players short of what we need to get by.

The fact is it is very, very hard to sign players these days. If you're not in the CL, you're competing against a lot of other clubs. Having the money is no guarantee that you're going to get what you want.

Much as people talk about crowds or tradition or potential or anything, for the majority of players there's not a whole lot between clubs like Villa, Newcastle, Everton, Spurs, even Portsmouth, Blackburn and West Ham. They're all competing for the same players.

If you think Ashley isn't prepared to spend money, then why did you offer what you did for Modric? Why would he have spent so much on the club and sorting out the debts only to watch it stagnate?

Having a lot of money behind you these days is not enough. You can't go out and buy success of the shelf. Everyone has money these days, things are an awful lot harder.