Barton & Guthrie?

Dave

Martins      Owen

Zog      Guthrie      Barton      Jonas

Enrique  Taylor      Coloccini      Beye

Given

Deffo the team Id wanna see but we really do need atleast 2 more midfielders and 3 if Milner goes!

Then left back and striker would be nice

FYP

Guest BeatMakerz

Barton got more assits than milner. He put on a tremendous pass for Owen against Blackburn at SJP last year, showd true class. Bit of a slow midfield though. Would need more pace on the wings.

Jonas and N'Zogbia?

Jonas isnt really pace he seems more strength but i'll give you it.  My worry comes in the potential ability to recover on the counter Barton is slow.

Jonas? no pace?, he is up there, he suprised me given his height etc, but he has got some speed like ???

Guest Gallowgate Mag

Barton got more assits than milner. He put on a tremendous pass for Owen against Blackburn at SJP last year, showd true class. Bit of a slow midfield though. Would need more pace on the wings.

Jonas and N'Zogbia?

Jonas isnt really pace he seems more strength but i'll give you it.  My worry comes in the potential ability to recover on the counter Barton is slow.

Spidey isn't really pace? You taking the piss?

FWIW, had we not sold him then my first choice CM at the moment would have been Faye with Barton, now it'd be Guthrie and Barton.

Guest battyleespeed

Butt got to be the first name on the team sheet. Barton is slow and somewhat weak in 50/50 situations plus he never actually dictates the midfield.

Butt got to be the first name on the team sheet. Barton is slow and somewhat weak in 50/50 situations plus he never actually dictates the midfield.

Butt can win the ball but I wouldn't say he can dictate the midfield as he can't pass.  Barton and Guthrie would work IMO.  It's a difficult one with Barton though, if he plays like he did at Man City him a Guthrie will work wonders together.  If he plays like he did under Allardyce we'll get overrun in every game.

Barton and Guthrie man. I rate both to an extent, especially Guthrie but come on. The more physical midfields in the prem would dick all over them and both are very limited going forward. Butt and Bowyer mark 2

Barton was one of the most highly rated attacking midfielders in the country twelve months ago. We shouldn't be looking to sign players to compete "physically" either. Apart from the fact that Barton is hardly a shrinking violet when it comes to physicality, how are Barton and Guthrie any less physical than Scholes and Carrick, Fabregas and Rosicky, Mascherano and Alonso, Johnson and Kompany, Reo Coker and Barry? I could go on.

my point was, if tjhey cant compete physically, they need to be able to compete in terms of ability and they cant tbh. Barton and Guthrie does not represent a dangerous central midfield

Surely he must be getting close to fitness, what has he been doing all summer? It's disgraceful the way the FA are waiting until he is ready to play again before deciding on a ban. He should be named in the squad for this weekend, if for no other reason than to force them into a decision.

I think it could work, if Barton can regain his Manchester City form, with Guthrie playing the Nicky Butt role I think it could work. Guthrie's calm and picks nice passes, giving Barton freedom to run about being a little bitch.

I think the club have taken the decision to wait on Barton until the FA decide what to do.  If he is banned, there is little point in playing him before then.  It would not help continuity.  Also, I think the club are trying to let the dust settle on this and will only play him when he is ready to let his football do the talking.

Having backed him and said they will support him,it would be stupid to play him if he is not ready.  Lets face it, he is going to get enough stick from the press, other fans and perhaps our own.  Add that to shit form and this media bandwagon will roll on and on.

As soon as  a decision is made, if positive, I am sure he will be straigt into the squad.  Not before then.

With regards to him and Guthrie, I see no reason why it could not work.  Perhaps lacking in size but they are both hard working and able to spread the ball around a bit.

Another thought, perhaps KK see's Barton as the playmaker - if so, this might explain the lack of and risky policy of not signing a play maker during this transfer window (so it seems)..

Highly optimistic on two fronts:

1. That Barton is available before Xmas to play given his fitness and upcoming ban

2. He is able to get anywhere near the levels he once was, given the experiences he has gone through over the last 12 months

Guthrie and a Barton of 18 months ago - has some merit, at the moment, I'm not sure whether that will happen and if that's our best option then we are in trouble.

I think the club have taken the decision to wait on Barton until the FA decide what to do.  If he is banned, there is little point in playing him before then.  It would not help continuity.  Also, I think the club are trying to let the dust settle on this and will only play him when he is ready to let his football do the talking.

Having backed him and said they will support him,it would be stupid to play him if he is not ready.  Lets face it, he is going to get enough stick from the press, other fans and perhaps our own.  Add that to shit form and this media bandwagon will roll on and on.

As soon as  a decision is made, if positive, I am sure he will be straigt into the squad.  Not before then.

With regards to him and Guthrie, I see no reason why it could not work.  Perhaps lacking in size but they are both hard working and able to spread the ball around a bit.

Another thought, perhaps KK see's Barton as the playmaker - if so, this might explain the lack of and risky policy of not signing a play maker during this transfer window (so it seems)..

RE: the bold bit, unfortunatley I think the FA are waiting until he is available to play again before acting.

It'd probably do alright. Far better than Guthrie and Butt, such is Butt's shiteness.

Honestly, if we have Nicky Butt in the centre of midfield week-in week-out this season, then we will concede a lot more goals. He gets credit for making crunching recovery tackles, but they tend to be stemmed from his own mistakes. He was even doing it against Coventry ffs; trying to pick out a pass, wildly losing possession, then having to chase back and make a tackle. Gets us fucking nowhere, especially when he commits plenty of fouls too. He's barely an upgrade on Alan Smith in the centre of the park tbh. I might sound over the top, but i genuinely feel that if Butt is a mainstay in the team, then we will not hold onto a top half place.

Guthrie and Barton on the other hand, not only has better personnel and better ability, but more balance. We'll keep possession infinitely better than we would with Butt in the team anyway, and it's another player to breing the ball forward from midfield. Aye, we'll be held back in that we don't have a quality centre-mid like Everton, City and others around us do, but it'd be alright - we've got good wingers and good forwards.

It probably wouldn't be the end of the world, but i'll still be pretty miffed if we don't manage to sign a centre-mid in the coming days... which, btw, i'm gradually feeling less and less confident about.

RE: the bold bit, unfortunatley I think the FA are waiting until he is available to play again before acting.

Maybe, if true that makes them totally out of order.  Okay he has only recently admitted it but they could and should have acted by now.  I thought his hearing was on the 4th of September?

Having backed him and said they will support him,it would be stupid to play him if he is not ready.  Lets face it, he is going to get enough stick from the press, other fans and perhaps our own.  Add that to s*** form and this media bandwagon will roll on and on.

Maybe, if true that makes them totally out of order.  Okay he has only recently admitted it but they could and should have acted by now.  I thought his hearing was on the 4th of September?

They've already got themselves pretty far out of order by planning to punish a player for something he's done over two years ago now. No doubt they'll do it anyway, being cunts and all.

• 1 month later...

I thought Guthrie played really well in the second half and I'm looking forward to seeing how these two get on as a partnership.

With Jonas and N'Zogbia on the wings it could be a decent midfield.

Guest Heneage

I watched Barton play for City against Fulham in his last season at craven cottage, and I must admit it's one of the very few times i've watched a player and realistically thought "I'd love us to get him". He ran the show and scored 2 if memory serves.

I thought Guthrie played really well in the second half and I'm looking forward to seeing how these two get on as a partnership.

With Jonas and N'Zogbia on the wings it could be a decent midfield.

I agree. Barton's extra energy could have spurred us on to the win today. Butt was wank again.

Zog-Barton-Guthrie-Jonas is a very exciting prospect indeed. 

I do reckon though that Barton isn't  going to come back in and  immediatley set the world on fire.  He's been out of football properly for a long  time, and hasn't played that much in general since coming to Newcastle.  I reckon he needs to be eased back in, but perhaps in a few games he could become first choice.

Zog-Barton-Guthrie-Jonas is a very exciting prospect indeed. 

I do reckon though that Barton isn't  going to come back in and  immediatley set the world on fire.  He's been out of football properly for a long  time, and hasn't played that much in general since coming to Newcastle.  I reckon he needs to be eased back in, but perhaps in a few games he could become first choice.

Normally, I'd agree with you that he should be eased in, but when his replacement is Nicky "How can I help the opposition?" Butt, I just want him back in the team as soon as possible.

Barton - Guthrie does seem like the best midfield, Guthrie is good on the ball and can pick a pass but his movement is not great, he is pretty lightweight and doesn't break up play enough - so Barton with his energy, running and presence makes up for this. neither are what you'd call defensive midfielders but they'e both quite restrained when it comes to getting forward so i don't think they'll leave gaps. also helps that N'Zogbia and Jonas both hassle the opposition when off the ball.

it's not an amazing midfield though and i don't think we can call any of the four proven - N'Zogbia hasn't performed consistently for a few years, Jonas has only just arrived, Guthrie is developing and can be invisible at times, while Barton has done very little of note here. and of course it just takes an injury or two (or silly suspension) and we look very average so i wouldnt get excited just yet.