La Liga 2008/09

Mr. Snrub

It's more the psychology behind the substitution than the actual player if you ask me. Sort of like Guardiola saying "that'll do" and the rest of the team sitting back on the lead a little more, rather than going for the jugular time after time after time.

He's still a lot more defensive than Henry, and far less clever/mobile/forward-thinking than Iniesta in midfield is!

Rich nails it. ;) :lol:

I did say "hope not" in the first post, to be fair! The game died on it's arse as a contest from the point Barca went 4-2 up, Madrid threw the towel in. Thought that had more to do with the ending we saw than Keita's introduction, to be honest, game totally died a death and they STILL managed to slot 2 more goals in. Tempo totally went though.

I know I was being facee facetsh fascetiu a twat. :thup:

the defences in La Liga are an absolute joke man, right up to the top. You can't really judge Barca's european attacking pedigree based on domestic games. If our top 4 were in that league they'll score as many if not more imo. Not that Barca aren't fantastic to watch

the defences in La Liga are an absolute joke man, right up to the top. You can't really judge Barca's european attacking pedigree based on domestic games. If our top 4 were in that league they'll score as many if not more imo. Not that Barca aren't fantastic to watch

I thought that when he was listing the top scorers, Eto'o, Messi, Forlan, Villa all into the mid-20s, Henry on 18 or 19 too. It's very much a rarity for players to break 20 goals in the Premiership now.

only Drogba and Ronaldo have managed it in the last 3 seasons I think. It's not just the stats though, it's absolutely laughable at times how players seem to be able to just walk through defences, Real themselves could and should have had 4 tonight

only Drogba and Ronaldo have managed it in the last 3 seasons I think. It's not just the stats though, it's absolutely laughable at times how players seem to be able to just walk through defences, Real themselves could and should have had 4 tonight

hasn't really been proved by othere euro teams waltzing through them though. maybe they emphasise attacking that bit more and it's worked so far.

certainly has aestheticaly.

This game dvd must be placed under the category "Sodomize"

Waring the following presentation contains rape.

Also, the style of play in spain is far more open and attacking. The defenders might not be as good, but teams press forward a lot more. Thing is barca has beaten teams like athetico madrid 6-1 liverpool only drew against them at anfield.

hasn't really been proved by othere euro teams waltzing through them though. maybe they emphasise attacking that bit more and it's worked so far.

how many times in recent years have Madrid been found seriously wanting defensively in the champs league? Their capitaulation at Anfield says it all

how many times in recent years have Madrid been found seriously wanting defensively in the champs league? Their capitaulation at Anfield says it all

as did liverpools at home to chelsea ?

The win will no doubt be an extra confidence boost for Barca (if they needed it, that is) ahead of Stamford Bridge, but otherwise, it only served to prove what we already knew: against a side who try to play Barca at their own game, they have the potential to rape them, Pardew style.

Factors such as the style of La Liga football, differences in defensive quality should be taken into consideration though. I still think Chelsea are favourites IMO, and if they can have a solid start defensively, I can see another clean sheet. I hope not though tbh, would love for this crop of Barca players to show their quality against an English side.

The win will no doubt be an extra confidence boost for Barca (if they needed it, that is) ahead of Stamford Bridge, but otherwise, it only served to prove what we already knew: against a side who try to play Barca at their own game, they have the potential to rape them, Pardew style.

Factors such as the style of La Liga football, differences in defensive quality should be taken into consideration though. I still think Chelsea are favourites IMO, and if they can have a solid start defensively, I can see another clean sheet. I hope not though tbh, would love for this crop of Barca players to show their quality against an English side.

hopes.......barce wins

reckons...... chelsea on pens.

I think a lot of people are underestimating how good this Barca team is. Last year's team was pleasing to watch but they lacked that cutting edge. They were a more developed version of Arsenal but still pretty fragile. This year's team, on the other hand, is one of the best football teams in the past decade. Kid you not. They're an exception to what you're used to in football. This team really is that fucking good.

I think a lot of people are underestimating how good this Barca team is. Last year's team was pleasing to watch but they lacked that cutting edge. They were a more developed version of Arsenal but still pretty fragile. This year's team, on the other hand, is one of the best football teams in the past decade. Kid you not. They're an exception to what you're used to in football. This team really is that f***ing good.

i agree, i'm hoping for a man utd/barce final.

I think a lot of people are underestimating how good this Barca team is. Last year's team was pleasing to watch but they lacked that cutting edge. They were a more developed version of Arsenal but still pretty fragile. This year's team, on the other hand, is one of the best football teams in the past decade. Kid you not. They're an exception to what you're used to in football. This team really is that f***ing good.

For all their fantasy football though, the performance against Chelsea wasn't that different to the 2 against Man Utd last year; and I'd say in broad terms that comparison is valid. If Chelsea are defensively on their game, Barca will find it difficult to carve out clear-cut chances. Again - I hope that isn't the case.

Guest firetotheworks

For all their fantasy football though, the performance against Chelsea wasn't that different to the 2 against Man Utd last year; and I'd say in broad terms that comparison is valid. If Chelsea are defensively on their game, Barca will find it difficult to carve out clear-cut chances. Again - I hope that isn't the case.

Being good defensively against Barca is more or less getting all of your players back defending. Chelsea need to attack (unless theyre aiming for Pens), and in doing so will play into Barcas hands.  This stuff about having the job done at the Neu Camp is fucking laughable, as many of us have said.

Being good defensively against Barca is more or less getting all of your players back defending. Chelsea need to attack (unless theyre aiming for Pens), and in doing so will play into Barcas hands.  This stuff about having the job done at the Neu Camp is f***ing laughable, as many of us have said.

They need to attack yes, but it's not like they're having to go all-out. They only need to win by 1, something that I believe they can do without leaving heaps of space for Barca to attack. The likes of Essien, Mikel and Lampard are all athletic and will make up a lot of ground both offensively and defensively.

I just have this nagging feeling Chelsea will just perform a very slightly more attacking version of what they did at the Nou Camp.

And aye absolutely - the presumption that Chelsea will shut out Barca just because they have done it once.

2-1.

Man Utd actually had a few chances (with the penalty being one) whilst Barca's best chance was an Eto'o shot that wasn't close. This year, they had a lot of chances and I think on another day, it's 2-0 or 3-0 pretty easily. You had Eto'o's 1v1, the Bojan miss, the possibly penalty. This wasn't Chelsea totally shutting Barca out. This was Barca missing a few chances coupled with lots of last-ditch tackles. Nothing like the semi last year where Man Utd's defense truly shut down Barca.

I admit I'm making some of these judgements with a bias because I truly, truly want to see Barca win. They're just incredibly fun to watch and I'd hate it if their style of play proved to be unsuccessful at the highest level. That's the main reason why I am and will be supporting Barca against any other team in football.

I think their trio up front is also much better than they were last year. Messi's put himself up on a level that hasn't been seen since maybe Zidane 6 or 7 years ago, Eto'o's much sharper and he looks like he's enjoying himself and for once, Henry's fit which means he's awesome. Last year you had Eto'o still undecided on his future, Messi suffering niggling injuries and Henry adapting to a new league and recovering from injuries as well. This year they've got a perfect storm up front and that's probably why all three of them have been so prolific in the league.

I think if they play Man Utd in the final, Man Utd will be on the defensive because they won't be able to get the ball off Barca and aren't capable of passing the ball around Barca, but their defense is good so they'll have a shot. It's probably 60/40 imo in favour of Barca if they and Man Utd end up playing in the final. On the other hand, I think if Arsenal get in we'll see a much better football game. I think Arsenal can pass it around pretty good as well so they'll create chances and maybe score, but Barca will win that match easily.

Man Utd actually had a few chances (with the penalty being one) whilst Barca's best chance was an Eto'o shot that wasn't close. This year, they had a lot of chances and I think on another day, it's 2-0 or 3-0 pretty easily. You had Eto'o's 1v1, the Bojan miss, the possibly penalty. This wasn't Chelsea totally shutting Barca out. This was Barca missing a few chances coupled with lots of last-ditch tackles. Nothing like the semi last year where Man Utd's defense truly shut down Barca.

I admit I'm making some of these judgements with a bias because I truly, truly want to see Barca win. They're just incredibly fun to watch and I'd hate it if their style of play proved to be unsuccessful at the highest level. That's the main reason why I am and will be supporting Barca against any other team in football.

I think their trio up front is also much better than they were last year. Messi's put himself up on a level that hasn't been seen since maybe Zidane 6 or 7 years ago, Eto'o's much sharper and he looks like he's enjoying himself and for once, Henry's fit which means he's awesome. Last year you had Eto'o still undecided on his future, Messi suffering niggling injuries and Henry adapting to a new league and recovering from injuries as well. This year they've got a perfect storm up front and that's probably why all three of them have been so prolific in the league.

I think if they play Man Utd in the final, Man Utd will be on the defensive because they won't be able to get the ball off Barca and aren't capable of passing the ball around Barca, but their defense is good so they'll have a shot. It's probably 60/40 imo in favour of Barca if they and Man Utd end up playing in the final. On the other hand, I think if Arsenal get in we'll see a much better football game. I think Arsenal can pass it around pretty good as well so they'll create chances and maybe score, but Barca will win that match easily.

Absolutely, re: the bit in bold. It'd be a great shame if Chelsea's attritional style (yes they have quality players, but they know fine well to beat Barca they'll have to wear them down with physical power and defensive solidity) overcame Barca's fantasy style. That's not to say Chelsea wouldn't necessarily deserve to go through. All I want to see is at least Barcelona play the sort of football they do 90% of the time, and see if they can turn that into a good result.

Re: the final, the idea of a Barca-Arsenal final sounds particularly mouth-watering, but I'm not so sure - is there a chance the 2 styles could actually cancel each other out, and both teams just pass it short too much instead of being a bit more direct? I think though overall there's a better chance of a Barca-Arsenal final being exciting than a Barca-Utd one, albeit the latter would still likely be a game full of quality, albeit perhaps not as much aesthetically pleasing football as the former.

This year is a total one-off and from what I see, it's caused by Barca's awesomeness. The fact that they have 3 players around, at or more than 20 goals speaks for itself. You look at the other players on the list and you know that it's not just that La Liga has shit defences. Villa ain't no slouch. He's shown it in two international competitions that he's one of the best strikers in the well. Forlan, I admit, wouldn't score that much in the Premiership but I'm attributing that to the different style of play. In England we always have random fucks like A Johnson getting 20 goals.

Look at the past seasons and you have 2-4 players scoring twenty per season. You have VRoy on the list, you have Raul there, Ronaldinho, Kanoute. All quality players. That's something that you would expect from the Premiership as well.

And I think you're saying it's laughable because it really is that easy for this Barca team. And come on, Real have been in awesome form for the past 3 months and been scoring goals for fun. Just because they got whooped by Liverpool once doesn't mean they're shit. Liverpool also beat Man Utd by the same scoreline away from home. Does that mean Man Utd are shit too? Obviously not.

This year is a total one-off and from what I see, it's caused by Barca's awesomeness. The fact that they have 3 players around, at or more than 20 goals speaks for itself. You look at the other players on the list and you know that it's not just that La Liga has s*** defences. Villa ain't no slouch. He's shown it in two international competitions that he's one of the best strikers in the well. Forlan, I admit, wouldn't score that much in the Premiership but I'm attributing that to the different style of play. In England we always have random f***s like A Johnson getting 20 goals.

Look at the past seasons and you have 2-4 players scoring twenty per season. You have VRoy on the list, you have Raul there, Ronaldinho, Kanoute. All quality players. That's something that you would expect from the Premiership as well.

And I think you're saying it's laughable because it really is that easy for this Barca team. And come on, Real have been in awesome form for the past 3 months and been scoring goals for fun. Just because they got whooped by Liverpool once doesn't mean they're s***. Liverpool also beat Man Utd by the same scoreline away from home. Does that mean Man Utd are s*** too? Obviously not.

I see defending in La Liga every week that you wouldn't ever see at the bottom of the premier league. Madrid have always been found wanting defensively in the champs league, the Liverpool game wasn't a one off.