La Liga 2008/09

Mr. Snrub

the defences in La Liga are an absolute joke man, right up to the top. You can't really judge Barca's european attacking pedigree based on domestic games. If our top 4 were in that league they'll score as many if not more imo. Not that Barca aren't fantastic to watch

talk about stating the obvious dude; jesus you can really look for the most pointless thing to argue about at times

when barca are playing there isn't a defence in the world that stops them, probably just their own wayward finishing at times a la chel$ki

I think a lot of people are underestimating how good this Barca team is. Last year's team was pleasing to watch but they lacked that cutting edge. They were a more developed version of Arsenal but still pretty fragile. This year's team, on the other hand, is one of the best football teams in the past decade. Kid you not. They're an exception to what you're used to in football. This team really is that f***ing good.

For all their fantasy football though, the performance against Chelsea wasn't that different to the 2 against Man Utd last year; and I'd say in broad terms that comparison is valid. If Chelsea are defensively on their game, Barca will find it difficult to carve out clear-cut chances. Again - I hope that isn't the case.

Man Utd actually had a few chances (with the penalty being one) whilst Barca's best chance was an Eto'o shot that wasn't close. This year, they had a lot of chances and I think on another day, it's 2-0 or 3-0 pretty easily. You had Eto'o's 1v1, the Bojan miss, the possibly penalty. This wasn't Chelsea totally shutting Barca out. This was Barca missing a few chances coupled with lots of last-ditch tackles. Nothing like the semi last year where Man Utd's defense truly shut down Barca.

Agree with this. Eto'o had a 1v1 saved as did Hleb, Bojan missed a sitter and Henry should've got a penalty. I DO NOT LIKE BARCELONA but the media's bum-licking of the 0-0 is astonishing.

Also Chelsea are not a very atheletic team. Take Essien away from that midfield and it can look a little tired.

All it takes is 1 Barca goal then you can't really see Chelsea winning it. At any score other than 2-0 or better, Barca scoring really tilts the tie in their favour.

Any other would mean Chelsea coming to play football and they'll probably get whooped trying although it would make for a fantastic match.

It would be a footballing tragedy if Barcelona were to be dumped out of the competition by such a negative Chelsea side. At the end of the day it’s a fans game and the fans don't pay to see two banks of five in front of the opposing team playing for the draw.

Barcelona have been amazing this season they've played some of the best football this planet has seen for years. You can blame the La Liga defences but you could put Man United or Liverpool in that league and I don't think they'd come close in terms of goal scoring. Also Guarliola has installed a new work ethic in the team this year rarely seen by continental times. Notice hard they work to get the ball back? Obviously they're not unstoppable, Valdes is capable of dropping a clanger and the defence has injuries and suspension but if there's any justice in football Barcelona will take Chelsea apart on Wednesday night.

It would be a footballing tragedy if Barcelona were to be dumped out of the competition by such a negative Chelsea side. At the end of the day it’s a fans game and the fans don't pay to see two banks of five in front of the opposing team playing for the draw.

Barcelona have been amazing this season they've played some of the best football this planet has seen for years. You can blame the La Liga defences but you could put Man United or Liverpool in that league and I don't think they'd come close in terms of goal scoring. Also Guarliola has installed a new work ethic in the team this year rarely seen by continental times. Notice hard they work to get the ball back? Obviously they're not unstoppable, Valdes is capable of dropping a clanger and the defence has injuries and suspension but if there's any justice in football Barcelona will take Chelsea apart on Wednesday night.

Strongly (and respectfully) disagree. If Chelsea beat Barcelona at Stamford Bridge, they will have deserved to be in the final. It takes more than just "negative football" to keep a clean sheet at Camp Nou, the Chelsea players showed some fantastic discipline, spirit and tactical awareness (as did Hiddink, tbf to him). I really don't agree with the attitude that defensive football equals negative football, and from my point of view, Chelsea played some fantastic defensive football.

Strongly (and respectfully) disagree. If Chelsea beat Barcelona at Stamford Bridge, they will have deserved to be in the final. It takes more than just "negative football" to keep a clean sheet at Camp Nou, the Chelsea players showed some fantastic discipline, spirit and tactical awareness (as did Hiddink, tbf to him). I really don't agree with the attitude that defensive football equals negative football, and from my point of view, Chelsea played some fantastic defensive football.

I know what you mean but I disagree. Yes credit to Chelsea for the way they held out but they didn't defend as well as people made out. Barcelona still carved out some excellent chances which you'd expect the likes of Eto'o, Bojan and Hleb to stick in the back of the net. The problem for Chelsea is if they go into Wednesday’s game trying to play as Barca's equals they'll get taken apart so I can see why they won't. But I'd be annoyed as a Chelsea fan to pay £40 for a ticket to see my multi-million pound team play negative football because they're scared of the opposition. I'd fully understand why they'd do it, I just wouldn't like it.

We'll agree to disagree.

was very interesting watching real-barca sat night, particularly the level of technical ability on the ball these players have compared to our league

laughable to be honest - i can see how english clubs are beating them in europe 'cause they've about 50% or 60% the technical ability of the players that play in spain but "we" play with double the pace and physical impact and beat them that way

dani alves was on about it with reference to the upcoming chelsea game, it's basically brain vs brawn or art vs artisan - hence why spain pissed the euro's and england never will

was a joy to watch that match was

I know what you mean but I disagree. Yes credit to Chelsea for the way they held out but they didn't defend as well as people made out. Barcelona still carved out some excellent chances which you'd expect the likes of Eto'o, Bojan and Hleb to stick in the back of the net. The problem for Chelsea is if they go into Wednesday’s game trying to play as Barca's equals they'll get taken apart so I can see why they won't. But I'd be annoyed as a Chelsea fan to pay £40 for a ticket to see my multi-million pound team play negative football because they're scared of the opposition. I'd fully understand why they'd do it, I just wouldn't like it.

We'll agree to disagree.

I'm with Towelie. I'm alot more interested in a team having a gameplan and achieving what they set out to achieve, whether that be defensive, attacking, long ball etc etc.

It may not be the best spectacle, but a win, is a win.

Yeah, do what you have to do to win.  If Chelsea would have came out at Camp Nou with an attacking mentality they would have got a pasting, so you can't expect them to do that.

But playing so defensively in the hope of getting a 0-0 draw then trying to sneak a win at home, which brings out the mongs saying things like the Premiership is so superior to every other league, is just ridiculous.

Let's not forget the great attacking Man Utd also did this in last years semis against Barcelona.

Yeah, do what you have to do to win.  If Chelsea would have came out at Camp Nou with an attacking mentality they would have got a pasting, so you can't expect them to do that.

But playing so defensively in the hope of getting a 0-0 draw then trying to sneak a win at home, which brings out the mongs saying things like the Premiership is so superior to every other league, is just ridiculous.

Let's not forget the great attacking Man Utd also did this in last years semis against Barcelona.

yeah this makes me laugh - anyone can win 2 leg ties, just so happens that the physical style of english teams is putting them ahead at the moment as we tend to play a high pressure game at home that pushes teams around

i'd like to see what this barca team would do in the PL for a full season which is all that really matters, i have a strong suspicion they'd make a fucking mockery of the whole thing because english defending is widely recognised as being crap compared to italian & spanish it's just they're not coping in these one off games with the contrast in styles

barca would destroy the PL, and real wouldn't be too far away with a little tinkering defensively

Guest neesy111

valencia ripping real apart 2-0 could easily be 5

real are a shocking team, credit to juande ramos for getting them this far with such a shocking squad (for real's standard)

Guest Heneage

Real Madrid 2/1 to beat Valencia. 

That's a great price, take advantage of it.

aye, have a little bit of cash on at 15/8

ORLY?

Was just about to post that. :lol:

Real Madrid 2/1 to beat Valencia. 

That's a great price, take advantage of it.

aye, have a little bit of cash on at 15/8

ORLY?

I just wanted you all to lose money. :shifty:

Anyway, fucking great result.  Champions tomorrow night.  Able to rest key players 'til the Man Utd match. 

Once Newcastle beat Boro on Monday it will be a damn fine weekend of football!

Suck a good week. Barca beat Real 6-2, then "beat" chelsea and now Valecnia are tearing Real a new one, now all we need is Barca to win the league tomorrow and  a:nile: Ranger hat trick on Monday !

Guest Heneage

Matta, David Silva and Baraja: The have a really good squad do Valencia, shame they are $400m in debt  :weep:

Four Four Two did a "Valencia Firesale" List. They linked us with Marchena and Albelda so it will be interesting to see if Shearer tries it.