KK resigns - see OP for new club statement issued September 6th

Guest Darth Toon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Geordiesned

This looks like it could drag on for a few days yet if the LMA are talking about further communications between Keegan and the board over the next few days.

Guest BeatMakerz

Bevan says KK has been put in a difficult position

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_4089291,00.html

The League Managers' Association chief executive Richard Bevan has admitted to Sky Sports News that Kevin Keegan has been left in a difficult position at Newcastle.

A media circus descended on Tyneside on Tuesday after reports emerged suggesting Keegan had left the club.

Newcastle denied sacking him, and then Keegan - through the LMA - insisted he had not quit.

But Bevan has now told Sky Sports News that Keegan's situation will be discussed in the coming days.

"Message for the fans is very clear," Bevan told Sky Sports News.

"Kevin is very concerned about the football club and the fans, he is concerned he does the right thing, concerned about ironing out a number of issues with the club and he will be doing this over the coming days but he has not resigned from Newcastle.

"It is not an ideal situation to be talking about a manager's situation so early in the season.

"He is in a difficult position, and he is going to be discussing some really important issues with the Newcastle board over the next few days.

"I think the key thing is that Newcastle football club and the fans are massively important to Kevin, and after the coverage yesterday it was important to confirm he has not resigned.

"I fully understand the eagerness for more information but we need to let the parties talk and hopefully there will be a positive outcome.

"I think the important thing is that the Newcastle board and Kevin will be having further discussions, ironing out a number of really key issues."

Player talks

Reports suggested that Newcastle's board had told the playing staff that Keegan had left - but Bevan insisted he was unaware of this.

"I am not aware if the board did or did not speak to the players," he said.

"All we can say is that Kevin did not resign and over the next few days the issues will be debated between Kevin and the Newcastle board.

"It is important from Kevin's perspective that he makes sure people know he did not resign."

So are the "Ashley tried to sell Owen & Barton" stories true, or again, media sh*tstirring drivel?

Louise Taylor was on Radio Newcastle earlier, pedalling these stories. The longer they let her talk, the more excited she got and you could tell from her voice that she was loving it. Manna from heaven for the mackems at the moment.

They've got some guy from the LMA now, who says he spoke to KK at length last night and again, he HAS NOT resigned. However, things still need to be talked about apparently and he wouldn't be drawn on that content.

Guest BeatMakerz

Notice both are emphasising the fact that their parties aren't to blame etc, sounds like both side are being careful what they say ...

Guest hikickry

So are the "Ashley tried to sell Owen & Barton" stories true, or again, media sh*tstirring drivel?

Louise Taylor was on Radio Newcastle earlier, pedalling these stories. The longer they let her talk, the more excited she got and you could tell from her voice that she was loving it. Manna from heaven for the mackems at the moment.

They've got some guy from the LMA now, who says he spoke to KK at length last night and again, he HAS NOT resigned. However, things still need to be talked about apparently and he wouldn't be drawn on that content.

he did say that it was just speculation that KK had said he thought he was fired, and also that he dousn't think the meetings are over compensation. There is hope in that.

Telegraph now saying that Gus Poyet is a candidate for the job, as is Moyes - inevitably, given the ever-growing Spanish connection, Marcelino of Real Zaragoza is another...

I suspect that it will be difficult for KK and the Board to wok successfully together again, so although NOTHING surprises me about NUFC, it will raise the eyebrows if KK returns as manager with the set-up unchanged.

Guest BeatMakerz

Telegraph now saying that Gus Poyet is a candidate for the job, as is Moyes - inevitably, given the ever-growing Spanish connection, Marcelino of Real Zaragoza is another...

I suspect that it will be difficult for KK and the Board to wok successfully together again, so although NOTHING surprises me about NUFC, it will raise the eyebrows if KK returns as manager with the set-up unchanged.

I think thats what the discussions will be mainly in the next few days..If they don't change then KK is off, I presume.

even if keegan does stay, every single time we lose, or something goes wrong, keegan is gona have another hissy fit. I think the situation has gone beyond reconcilliation. He needs to leave so we can get a manager who gets on with the board otherwise we will never have the stability we need. Im not saying i want him to leave, but it doesnt look like he can stay now

wouldn`t be surprised if Marcelino our former `defender` could come in as defensive coach to work at this circus

I'm pretty sure, if Ashley and Keegan had fallen out irrepairably then Ashley would just pay out his contract and tell him to do one. He had no problem doing that with Allardyce and if it's a money matter then surely they would have just given Keegan the money in exchange for his silence. I think Ashley will be saying he wants Keegan to stay as manager on his terms and Keegan will be saying he wants to stay on his terms. Solely personal opinion but i think Keegan is actually relatively happy with the buys but not happy about selling behind his back, so i can't see why they don't compromise, with Keegan having control over who can leave the club and Vetere and Jiminez (i for one don't actually think Wise is involved in our first team transfers) scouting for Keegan to then ok deals on players they find. As much as i'm happy with what has been brought in and the price we have got for Milner, you simply cannot run a football club where you sell players without the manager's consent - how can a manager build a side / work on a system not knowing when players will be sold? It makes no sense...

Saw this from another sight, don't know what to make of it really!, just bullshit I suppose.

Take this how you will, I know ITK b****** is all usually useless. I work at the England Cricket Board, and my manager, the director of corporate communications, used to do the same job at the FA, and basically at the request of Paul Collingwood and Steve Harmison he put a call into some people over there to try and find out:

Keegan went mental re: the attempted sale of Barton and Smith behind his back. Nobody tried to sell Owen, that was never on the agenda, we were simply waiting until after deadline day to sort that out. He was furious as he'd said we shouldn't sell either with lack of adequate replacement. However, Ashley, Vetere, Jimenez and Wise considered Xisco and Gonzalez to be adequate replacement for both so went ahead with it, without consulting KK, and thus a complete fiasco ensued - in the end they said they wouldn't sell either but KK being a man of principle refused to back down, especially as Milner was essentially sold behind his bacl - despite public utterings to the contrary he was almightily unhappy about it.

The current state of affairs: Keegan acte dout, heated arguments ensued in the meetings with him threatening to walk and the others threatening the sack. Keegan then said he was leaving and walked out but the rest have since realised his value to the club and are now doing their utmost to bring him back/persuade him that this wasn't done over his head, this is what they thought he wanted. He's let down as he does not have complete control over transfers, doesn't know the two new players and feels players are being offered to other clubs behind his back, and thus, as a man of principle, feels his position is untenable. Club reiterated they wouldn't sack him, but are now in the process of convincing him not to leave.

That sounds believable to me, and it fits with the LMA's statements. Either that or its just someone's guess based on what the LMA said.

I watched the conversation this morning with Richard Bevan-LMA this morning with SKY, and I have to admit I was disgusted with the guy from SKY, Richard Bevan was being positive about the whole matter that KK loved the fans and quite clearly if he can sort a couple of issues out does want to remain manager, SKY were saying "He was Sacked" "he is obviously meeting to talk about his compensation etc" whatever was said he made it a negative. They are an absolute disgrace !!! They got it wrong yesterday by saying he was sacked and now they are trying to spin it that HE WAS actually sacked, bloody idiots all of them.

Saw this from another sight, don't know what to make of it really!, just bullshit I suppose.

Take this how you will, I know ITK b****** is all usually useless. I work at the England Cricket Board, and my manager, the director of corporate communications, used to do the same job at the FA, and basically at the request of Paul Collingwood and Steve Harmison he put a call into some people over there to try and find out:

Keegan went mental re: the attempted sale of Barton and Smith behind his back. Nobody tried to sell Owen, that was never on the agenda, we were simply waiting until after deadline day to sort that out. He was furious as he'd said we shouldn't sell either with lack of adequate replacement. However, Ashley, Vetere, Jimenez and Wise considered Xisco and Gonzalez to be adequate replacement for both so went ahead with it, without consulting KK, and thus a complete fiasco ensued - in the end they said they wouldn't sell either but KK being a man of principle refused to back down, especially as Milner was essentially sold behind his bacl - despite public utterings to the contrary he was almightily unhappy about it.

The current state of affairs: Keegan acte dout, heated arguments ensued in the meetings with him threatening to walk and the others threatening the sack. Keegan then said he was leaving and walked out but the rest have since realised his value to the club and are now doing their utmost to bring him back/persuade him that this wasn't done over his head, this is what they thought he wanted. He's let down as he does not have complete control over transfers, doesn't know the two new players and feels players are being offered to other clubs behind his back, and thus, as a man of principle, feels his position is untenable. Club reiterated they wouldn't sack him, but are now in the process of convincing him not to leave.

That sounds believable to me, and it fits with the LMA's statements. Either that or its just someone's guess based on what the LMA said.

I started to doubt when they mentioned Collingwood - he's a mackem... I know they're obsessed with us but i cannot see him going that far.

Guest johnson293

For what its worth, heres Wednesdays Gossip Summary, from the BBC...

Kevin Keegan's row with the Newcastle hierarchy centred on owner Mike Ashley trying to sell striker Michael Owen and midfielder Joey Barton without the manager's consent. (Various)

Keegan is being forced out of Newcastle after a bitter rift over transfers with executive director Dennis Wise. (Various)

Keegan is consulting his legal team and could launch a claim for constructive dismissal against Newcastle owner Ashley. (Daily Mail)

Keegan is facing the end of his Newcastle reign and a multi-million pound compensation battle with the club's hierarchy.(Various)

Wise and his former assistant at Leeds, Gus Poyet, who is now first-team coach at Tottenham, are in line to take over at St James' Park if Keegan's departure is confirmed. (Various)

Everton pulled out of a deal for Newcastle striker Alan Smith on deadline day after discovering his price tag had increased from £2.8m. (Daily Mail)

:rolleyes:

It sounds to me like he is far from happy with the general set-up which as a result are going over his head with the dealings of certain players and he wants this changed. I imagine the board will be very reluctant to change it and that's where the stand off is. Hopefully they see what an impact KK leaving would have so they make the changes that he wants. I for one don't think anybody at the club should be going over his head with regards to the playing staff. He should make the decisions and live and die by these decisions.

Guest BeatMakerz

I watched the conversation this morning with Richard Bevan-LMA this morning with SKY, and I have to admit I was disgusted with the guy from SKY, Richard Bevan was being positive about the whole matter that KK loved the fans and quite clearly if he can sort a couple of issues out does want to remain manager, SKY were saying "He was Sacked" "he is obviously meeting to talk about his compensation etc" whatever was said he made it a negative. They are an absolute disgrace !!! They got it wrong yesterday by saying he was sacked and now they are trying to spin it that HE WAS actually sacked, bloody idiots all of them.

SSN is so annoying to watch, I'm going to avoid watching it after yesterdays rubbish.

It strikes me that they are sorting out the terms of KK's departure this morning and even if Ashley did an about face on everything publically known about him, sack wise and co and return all managerial and transfer responsibility to Keegan - he would still be looking to pull the trigger at the first opportunity for humiliating him in public by getting the fans onside.

The only definite out of all of this is that I don't think you'll see Ashley in stripes or in the Bigg Market again.

SSN is so annoying to watch, I'm going to avoid watching it after yesterdays rubbish.

Sky is a joke full stop. The treatment of the NUFC story y'day just serves to highlight how vindicative, premumptious and manipulative they are. Think of all the other stories they do this with where the truth also gets brushed aside. Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story taken to extreme levels.....

On an unrelated note a mate of mine saw Shearer this morning and he reckons he knows nowt but thinks the club are once again a laughing stock.

Guest johnson293

Saw a bit on SSN this morning where Shaun Custis (?) was on doing the paper round up, and theu talked about the KK situation.

Total load of Bolox being said - talking about the backroom problems, siad this was also a problem Allardyce had during his time - erm, Wise, etc weren't put in place till just after KK came back??!!

Would love to think (and still hope) the 'further discussions' are about moving the club forward together, and sticking two fingers up to the Press/Media, but in reality, maybe it is just all about the severance package now.

Whether Keegan is staying or not, the board needs to start it's search for a new manger now. If Keegan stays then great, we'll be overjoyed, but if he goes we need a replacement in before long so common sense suggests with Keegan looking like he would leave we need to start looking NOW.

the way i see it Ashley has 2 options. And it's lose / lose for him. he seems like he is too arrogant to accept that the fans are bigger than him at this club.

1 - get rid of Keegan. Face the wrath of the majority of fans. never recover from it and have to sell up

2 - keep keegan but admit defeat ref. the new structure. have his authority publicly undermined and have to sell up