KK resigns - see OP for new club statement issued September 6th

Guest Darth Toon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Melbourne Toon

I think the current situation is fine. At the moment all keegan will be wanting is more control over transfers and a higher transfer budget, which he will obviously get or be offered.

In terms of the squad we have cover of at least one player per position with youth to back that up. People may scoff at using youth players but we've been buying up talent for a reason. A lot of people on this board were once backing carrol to start because they thought he had talent. For him to play we need at least 2 player to be injured or rested. Which isn't that likely to happen and if it does we can cope with players like him. As for milner he was starting to play well but he was never going to be the player we needed, he just lacked speed. And while he may have been been able to eventually make up for it with technique, I'd rather a player that had the technique and speed.

So i don't think the situation is all doom and gloom.

Merlin

Quite right too. There would be some on this board who cannot see the woods for the trees here. Certain people who have castigated the likes of Smith, Barton and Milner for years are backing Keegan for wanting to keep them whilst the baord have or wanted to move them on whilst still saleable assets.

In my view, the situation is currently at a stalemate. I think it will be more beneficial for all concerned if KK left now because it is clear that the situation will have left a bad taste in the mouth and confidence in both parties will be difficult to redeem.

I was reading an article today in the Guardian displaying KKs success rate in all his management appointments over games played. He is currently on 29% win rate which is well down on his 62% win rate during his previous term at NUFC. Whilst there are obvious reasons for this, I still would have expected a better return from him at this stage.

Keegan is quite right about one thing. The squad is very thin. I doubt very much that Michael Owen was mooted to move on deadline day by the board, especially as he was offered an improved contract two days earlier. I do believe the board tried to move Smith and Barton and could have replaced them with players on stand by. The Milner transfer at 12 million was an exceptional piece of business.

Keegan needs to understand that the game is different now and management teams operate at clubs worldwide rather than one man having the overall say. Keegan's ego does not fit into the modern day football management structure and if you look at most clubs, management teams meet and discuss business and formaulate decisions based on short and long term strategic planning. Keegan has and never will fit into this style of management and that is another reason why he should leave, unless he is willing to adapt to change. I dont think he will be able to because his experience is mostly built around management mentors like Bill Shankly which are now totally out of date.

Finally, before I get the usual inept and factually innaccurate tirade from NE5, this is my opinion, which I believe I am entitled too. If you dont like it, dont waste your time in replying to this post.

Certain people who have castigated the likes of Smith, Barton and Milner for years are backing Keegan for wanting to keep them whilst the baord have or wanted to move them on whilst still saleable assets.

Personally, I see it as 2 separate issues.

( 1 ) Whether the trio warrant sales?

( 2 ) Whether the manager's authority should be respected?

Henceforth, even though the trio warrant sales, the manager's authority / opinions must still be respected.

Since we are just blindly playing the blame game without knowing all the facts...why not introduce Fat Sam into the equation. Afterall, he signed Smith and Barton. If not for his horrible signings, all these wouldn't have happened  >:D

Certain people who have castigated the likes of Smith, Barton and Milner for years are backing Keegan for wanting to keep them whilst the baord have or wanted to move them on whilst still saleable assets.

Henceforth, even though the trio warrant sales, the manager's authority / opinions must still be respected.

You are right, but what if premise 1 and 2 clashes i.e. what if the manager wants to keep all three but the Board wants rid. Do you then support premise 1 or stick with premise 2 because you can't have both if KK really wants to keep all three.

Different people will give you different answers, I'm more leaning twoards selling all three (Milner for 12 million) provided there are replacements ready even if it means KK's authority will be undermine in this particular instance.

If KK thinks we should keep the three despite promised of replacements, then I simply think he has got it wrong and seriously question his judgement. If the reason that he wants to keep them is because he has not been promised any replacement, then he is right and I support him.

You are right, but what if premise 1 and 2 clashes i.e. what if the manager wants to keep all three but the Board wants rid. Do you then support premise 1 or stick with premise 2 because you can't have both if KK really wants to keep all three.

Different people will give you different answers, I'm more leaning twoards selling all three (Milner for 12 million) provided there are replacements ready even if it means KK's authority will be undermine in this particular instance.

If KK thinks we should keep the three despite promised of replacements, then I simply think he has got it wrong and seriously question his judgement. If the reason that he wants to keep them is because he has not been promised any replacement, then he is right and I support him.

From a corporate point of view, I would say premise 1.

But from a more moral point of view, I would say premise 2.

Tough choice. Tough choice.

Oh well, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Guest Melbourne Toon

From a corporate point of view, I would say premise 1.

But from a more moral point of view, I would say premise 2.

Tough choice. Tough choice.

Oh well, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I think all three warrant sales, but I'm happy to take a gamble on barton.

In this case i think it's fine that it went over the managers head with milner, because frankly it was a good piece of business, but i wouldn't like to see it happen in the future.

It cant ever be anything but 2)

If it is then you have no respect  but more importantly no faith in the man you are supposed to be backing.

You obviously come try and head for a compromise with selling at least one of the 3. But really the board should be trusting the man they appointed.

Sounds a bit like pondering over whether you should cheat on your missus or not.

You might end up not doing it out of morals, but to be honest if you wanted to do it isnt there something wrong with your relationship to begin with?

I think most people would go with premise 1. But thats just because its a no brainer. Smith is shit, Barton (whilst i'd like to keep him) is a liability easier cut loose and Milner for 12m is too good to turn down.

Saw this from another sight, don't know what to make of it really!, just bullshit I suppose.

Take this how you will, I know ITK b****** is all usually useless. I work at the England Cricket Board, and my manager, the director of corporate communications, used to do the same job at the FA, and basically at the request of Paul Collingwood and Steve Harmison he put a call into some people over there to try and find out:

Keegan went mental re: the attempted sale of Barton and Smith behind his back. Nobody tried to sell Owen, that was never on the agenda, we were simply waiting until after deadline day to sort that out. He was furious as he'd said we shouldn't sell either with lack of adequate replacement. However, Ashley, Vetere, Jimenez and Wise considered Xisco and Gonzalez to be adequate replacement for both so went ahead with it, without consulting KK, and thus a complete fiasco ensued - in the end they said they wouldn't sell either but KK being a man of principle refused to back down, especially as Milner was essentially sold behind his bacl - despite public utterings to the contrary he was almightily unhappy about it.

The current state of affairs: Keegan acte dout, heated arguments ensued in the meetings with him threatening to walk and the others threatening the sack. Keegan then said he was leaving and walked out but the rest have since realised his value to the club and are now doing their utmost to bring him back/persuade him that this wasn't done over his head, this is what they thought he wanted. He's let down as he does not have complete control over transfers, doesn't know the two new players and feels players are being offered to other clubs behind his back, and thus, as a man of principle, feels his position is untenable. Club reiterated they wouldn't sack him, but are now in the process of convincing him not to leave.

Guest Saint Andy

So are the "Ashley tried to sell Owen & Barton" stories true, or again, media sh*tstirring drivel?

who knows? we're all mushrooms.

Haven't seen this posted yet, from The League Managers Association (http://www.leaguemanagers.com/news/viewfromthetop-6167.html?LMAS=e7d046899160bb7de1cb9e81e36e3318)

STATEMENT RE KEVIN KEEGAN

The League Managers Association has issued the following statement in respect of Kevin Keegan, manager of Newcastle United.

Kevin Keegan has been in discussions today with the LMA chief executive Richard Bevan. Over the course of the next few days Kevin will be communicating with the club’s board to discuss a number of important issues.

Richard Bevan said: “Newcastle football club and its fans are massively important to Kevin and he has not resigned as manager of the club. The LMA will keep supporters, media and other stakeholder within the game fully informed of developments.”

Guest Darth Toon

Haven't seen this posted yet, from The League Managers Association (http://www.leaguemanagers.com/news/viewfromthetop-6167.html?LMAS=e7d046899160bb7de1cb9e81e36e3318)

The League Managers Association has issued the following statement in respect of Kevin Keegan, manager of Newcastle United.

Kevin Keegan has been in discussions today with the LMA chief executive Richard Bevan. Over the course of the next few days Kevin will be communicating with the club’s board to discuss a number of important issues.

Richard Bevan said: “Newcastle football club and its fans are massively important to Kevin and he has not resigned as manager of the club. The LMA will keep supporters, media and other stakeholder within the game fully informed of developments.”

Excellent news - looks like he isn't going to let them force him out.....

Guest BeatMakerz

so basically KK has been treated like muck by the board but cos' he loves us guys so much he wants to get things right and he isnt just gonna leave us in the s***..This is why the guy is so well respected. Roll on Hull :clap2: KEEGAN  :clap2: KEEGAN :clap2:

Guest Saint Andy

Sounds like they're working to sort out a few issues. That's good to hear. I wonder if the leak had any effect on anything? Probably showed a few people how much the fans care, that's for sure.

Ths is now a 'pay-off stand-off', and its going to get messy i reckon.  Ashley puts out that statement yesterday which would have meant no pay off for KK if he left (walked).  KK believes he was sacked (if reports are to be believed) and talks to the LMA who are now acting on his behalf.

This is anything but excellent news.

so now we have confirmation that he hasn't resigned and he has not been sacked.. both sides seem eager to compromise, here's hoping..

Guest nufc_geordie

I disagree, both sides are digging their trenches.

That's what it sounds like to me. The statement released by Newcastle was so carefully worded by Newcastle it is unbelievable. At no point does it say Keegan is still in his job at the same time releasing to the public domain that they claim not to have sacked him, essentially piling the pressure on Keegan. If Keegan believes he has been sacked, which is why I hink the LMA are getting involved this is not going to be pretty.

The main thing for me is that Keegan makes a statement, we know he wears his heart on his sleeve and a simple one sentance statement saying exactly where he stands would help everyone understand the situation better. Personally I can't see anyway back from this for Keegan. His position is untenable, Ashley has sh*t himself with the reaction yesterday and any stability the club has developed over the last 6 months or so has been ruined. Back to the drawing board.

Guest Darth Toon

Ths is now a 'pay-off stand-off', and its going to get messy i reckon.  Ashley puts out that statement yesterday which would have meant no pay off for KK if he left (walked).  KK believes he was sacked (if reports are to be believed) and talks to the LMA who are now acting on his behalf.

This is anything but excellent news.

I suppose what I meant was it's excellent news in the context that the alternative was for him to come out and say he's resigned...

At least now it looks like both sides are talking, which increases the chances of some kind of solution...