KK resigns - see OP for new club statement issued September 6th

Guest Darth Toon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A lot of people seem to be taking great delight in the prospect of Wise, Jimenez, Vetere, Llambias et all being given the boot and the current structure along with it.

Why?

Is your opinion based upon logic and an analysis of the system leading you to think it won't work?

Is it a hatred of Denis Wise? If so, is that because of what he's done here or did you hate him already?

Is it because of what you've read in the papers?

Is it simply pure faith in KK and if he doesn't like it it's got to go?

Or what?

Apart from the obvious, issues that are ongoing at the moment (whatever they are, as we don't actually know at the moment, remember?) it seemed to be working ok for me. We'd started the season pretty well, we've signed a few decent looking players for ok money, we've got rid of a few muppets and got decent money for the one good player we sold, and we've brought in a load of highly rated youngsters. Personally, I think the system or a tweaking of it is the way forward for us as a club, if the individuals who have been brought in to fill those positions within it can't work together then that needs to be sorted somehow. But as a system, I think it would be a shame to dump it at the first sign of trouble and go back to an archaic way of running a club just because we've had problems. I mean how many problems have we had in the past whilst using a pretty standard method of running the club, why've we not dumped that?

Good post.

Up until a few days ago everyone on here seemed happy with the way it was going, of course we would have preferred to have spent more money and got cover for our fullbacks but one thing that wasn't in doubt was the quality of the players that had come into the club, so much so that people expect Xisco to be class just because of how good the others have been.

Without this set up would we have known that Jonas was prepared to buy out his contract? Or would we have managed to not only find a bright young lad like Bassong but manage to get him here on a trial so the manager can get a good look at him? Someone has been on the ball behind the scenes to make these things happen and it would be a shame to lose that.

The only good thing about getting rid of Wise would be an end to the constant media circus claiming everyone is stabbing each other in the back.

there were plenty of people not happy with the way we were heading. a couple of posters, afar, unbelievable and me got a lot of criticism for highlighting concerns earlier in the window.

i don't think Wise has anything to do with getting in Jonas or Bassong, that was probably more to do with the likes of Vetere & Fucillo (scouting) and Jiminez & Llambias (negotiations). There's no reason why the former two can't be retained as scouts as keegan has worked with scouts all his career. I'm not sure Keegan's ire is necessarily directed at the former two, more likely the latter two. while they got in a few players they also missed out on plenty more leaving us with a good number fewer than what we needed. i bet when they missed out on Modric, despite having the owner of his club and his agent in the city, that Keegan was pissed off but was given assurances that things would change. they didn't so Keegan got upset. though there could be more to it than that, or it could be different.

The comment about the way it was going was in regards to the recruitment team and the standard of players we've pulled in, although feel free to give yourself another self congratulatory pat on the back for showing concern about not getting enough players in.

The concerns were about getting the right players in and Ashley's ambition with the club. Seems like the doom mongers were in good company.

Guest optimistic nit

Has Wise done anything though?

All the rumours are that if anything it was Llambias, although they are just rumours.

If he is sacked, I hope he actually was the source of the problem, and not just a scapegoat, as it will mean that it can all be put behind the club, and hopefully not(like f*** it will) resurface.

Absolutely spot on with that point. This whole hatred of Wise, has handed Ashley the perfect scapegoat. But if he's not actually the problem, this is just papering over the cracks.

true, although i would hope anyone sacked is because keegan isn't happy about how things are going and at keegans request. ashley hasn't cared much about what people thought about him before now, hopefully he wont start.

A lot of people seem to be taking great delight in the prospect of Wise, Jimenez, Vetere, Llambias et all being given the boot and the current structure along with it.

Why?

Is your opinion based upon logic and an analysis of the system leading you to think it won't work?

Is it a hatred of Denis Wise? If so, is that because of what he's done here or did you hate him already?

Or what?

Apart from the obvious, issues that are ongoing at the moment (whatever they are, as we don't actually know at the moment, remember?) it seemed to be working ok for me. We'd started the season pretty well, we've signed a few decent looking players for ok money, we've got rid of a few muppets and got decent money for the one good player we sold, and we've brought in a load of highly rated youngsters. Personally, I think the system or a tweaking of it is the way forward for us as a club, if the individuals who have been brought in to fill those positions within it can't work together then that needs to be sorted somehow. But as a system, I think it would be a shame to dump it at the first sign of trouble and go back to an archaic way of running a club just because we've had problems. I mean how many problems have we had in the past whilst using a pretty standard method of running the club, why've we not dumped that?

Good post.

Up until a few days ago everyone on here seemed happy with the way it was going, of course we would have preferred to have spent more money and got cover for our fullbacks but one thing that wasn't in doubt was the quality of the players that had come into the club, so much so that people expect Xisco to be class just because of how good the others have been.

Without this set up would we have known that Jonas was prepared to buy out his contract? Or would we have managed to not only find a bright young lad like Bassong but manage to get him here on a trial so the manager can get a good look at him? Someone has been on the ball behind the scenes to make these things happen and it would be a shame to lose that.

The only good thing about getting rid of Wise would be an end to the constant media circus claiming everyone is stabbing each other in the back.

there were plenty of people not happy with the way we were heading. a couple of posters, afar, unbelievable and me got a lot of criticism for highlighting concerns earlier in the window.

i don't think Wise has anything to do with getting in Jonas or Bassong, that was probably more to do with the likes of Vetere & Fucillo (scouting) and Jiminez & Llambias (negotiations). There's no reason why the former two can't be retained as scouts as keegan has worked with scouts all his career. I'm not sure Keegan's ire is necessarily directed at the former two, more likely the latter two. while they got in a few players they also missed out on plenty more leaving us with a good number fewer than what we needed. i bet when they missed out on Modric, despite having the owner of his club and his agent in the city, that Keegan was pissed off but was given assurances that things would change. they didn't so Keegan got upset. though there could be more to it than that, or it could be different.

The comment about the way it was going was in regards to the recruitment team and the standard of players we've pulled in, although feel free to give yourself another self congratulatory pat on the back for showing concern about not getting enough players in.

that's not like you Baggio. disappointing that you resort to crap like this because you can't construct an adequate response.

Because you misunderstood the point I was making?

As I said, people were disappointed that we didn't strengthen further but nobody had a problem with the set up and the quality of player being brought in, it's only since Keegan threw his toys out of the pram that people seem outraged at the likes of Dennis Wise.

Why?

Or what?

Good post.

that's not like you Baggio. disappointing that you resort to crap like this because you can't construct an adequate response.

As I said, people were disappointed that we didn't strengthen further but nobody had a problem with the set up and the quality of player being brought in, it's only since Keegan threw his toys out of the pram that people seem outraged at the likes of Dennis Wise.

More to the point, the very people complaining about Wise are the people who complain about the media saying there is a problem in the first place!

Why?

Or what?

Good post.

Are you having a laugh?

Why?

Or what?

Good post.

Are you having a laugh?

You had a problem with the amount of money spent didn't you?

That and Jonas must be shit because he didn't cost any money.

Why?

Or what?

Good post.

Are you having a laugh?

Nobody complained about the quality of players; they were just expecting more. We STILL don't know if the board or Keegan are to blame for the lack of numbers.

Guest Geordiesned

nufc.com latest:

Messiah v Wise man goes to extra time

Speculation was rife on Wednesday evening that one of the major obstacles to Kevin Keegan remaining in charge of Newcastle United could soon be removed - with the departure of Dennis Wise from the club.

That was then dampened by apparent confirmation that the situation remained unchanged from earlier however, when a club statement was released (see text below).

Different sources claim different recent transfer -related events to have been the trigger for the rows at SJP: the sale of Milner, attempts to flog Barton, Owen, claims that any of the squad were available and the failure to sign players in the positions identified by Keegan as priorities.

What seems beyond question now though is that one of the two will be departing. And unlike KK, there are no crowds of chanting fans with flags and banners outside the ground in support of Wise - or in the dressing room.

Why?

Or what?

Good post.

Are you having a laugh?

That and Jonas must be s*** because he didn't cost any money.

I've explained this countless times, but since you're slow I'll try it one more time: I had concerns about the quality of player brought in, and still have. Jonas looks a shrewd buy, so I'll give them that (I didn't at the time, but NOT because he came on the cheap), and Collocini is a class defender and they splashed the cash on him, so happy about that, but all the others are of a very low profile for a Premiership intent on going places. They're gambles so to speak, and with what Ashley & Co have been telling us we were entitled to expect more, much more. It's been mostly talk and precious little action with regards to transfer targets. I'm glad you're happy, I'm not and it seems Keegan is also less than impressed.

Why?

Or what?

Good post.

i understood the point, it was just wrong.

plenty of folks had complaints about the way the club was heading. the mistake you're making is assuming the issue is a matter of the quality of players brought in, i don't think anyone has said that (about the two/three top buys). there were criticisms about keegan not being involved in negotiations, there were criticisms the club wasn't 'pushing the boat out' during negotiations, going that extra mile to secure quality players, there were criticisms over the length of time things were taking, there were criticisms over the amount of money spent and amount of top players brought in ( i think only Jonas and Coloccini are top quality players, Guthrie & Bassong might be in a few years but not now) about communication with the fans, about the kinds of players we'd missed out on and so on. you chose to ignore all that in order to underline a point. it's not self-congratulary to say this, it's stating the facts.

Why?

Or what?

Good post.

Are you having a laugh?

I've explained this countless times, but since you're slow I'll try it one more time: I had concerns about the quality of player brought in, and still have. Jonas looks a shrewd buy, so I'll give them that (I didn't at the time, but NOT because he came on the cheap), and Collocini is a class defender and they splashed the cash on him, so happy about that, but all the others are of a very low profile for a Premiership intent on going places. They're gambles so to speak, and with what Ashley & Co have been telling us we were entitled to expect more, much more. It's been mostly talk and precious little action with regards to transfer targets. I'm glad you're happy, I'm not and it seems Keegan is also less than impressed.

I've said that we needed more bodies in, I also said that I'm happy with the quality of players that have come in too.

I'm guessing Keegan would agree with both comments.

Why?

Or what?

Good post.

i understood the point, it was just wrong.

plenty of folks had complaints about the way the club was heading. the mistake you're making is assuming the issue is a matter of the quality of players brought in, i don't think anyone has said that. there were criticisms about keegan not being involved in negotiations, there were criticisms the club wasn't 'pushing the boat out' during negotiations, going that extra mile to secure quality players, there were criticisms over the length of time things were taking, there were criticisms over the amount of money spent and amount of top players brought in ( i think only Jonas and Coloccini are top quality players, Guthrie & Bassong might be in a few years but not now) about communication with the fans, about the kinds of players we'd missed out on and so on. you chose to ignore all that in order to underline a point. it's not self-congratulary to say this, it's stating the facts.

JPD you got it absolutely right!! I got slated as a negative nit-picking idiot for merely suggesting it was "curious" that KK said in an interview Wise phoned him and told him he'd got this guy called spiderman IN. KK then said he went and looked him up and he seemed good.

The problem i had was not the director of football and Vetere et al scouting players, it was the possibility that the guys were signed before KK okayed them.

I think the main problem with NUFC at the moment is that Ashley's bought the club, seen that it was an unsuccesful business and thought, 'i know, i'm a successful businessman, i'll run NUFC like a business'. So he put men in charge of different areas of the company, just like he would any other business. But this is football. Yes it's a business, but one like no others. The characters involved were schooled a certain way. Whether it's sound business princples or not (in terms of pure business, not sports business) in football you HAVE to let one man take care of all the serious football-related matters if his short, 3 year contract, reputation and livelihood depends on it (not saying KK or any other manager's a pauper, merely making the point that you're not guaranteed a managerial job for as long as the company exists and has enough profit to employ you, unlike in a normal business).

Please all ignore my post anyway, i'm an insane ranting doomonger

Vetere and Jiminez are the important ones here. I think it's pretty obvious they were the people who identified these targets, not Wise, so all those saying if we lose Wise we lose the ability to bring those players in seem to be jumping the gun. If losing Wise means we lose the other 2, then we have a problem, otherwise we're laughing.

Another thing was Ashley explicitly stated Wise's remit was to bring in 6 under 17 players a year and he had nothing to do with the first team. If Wise is sacked / leaves i think it's safe to assume Ashley was lying to us all.

Vetere and Jiminez are the important ones here. I think it's pretty obvious they were the people who identified these targets, not Wise, so all those saying if we lose Wise we lose the ability to bring those players in seem to be jumping the gun. If losing Wise means we lose the other 2, then we have a problem, otherwise we're laughing.

Another thing was Ashley explicitly stated Wise's remit was to bring in 6 under 17 players a year and he had nothing to do with the first team. If Wise is sacked / leaves i think it's safe to assume Ashley was lying to us all.

has anyone said that ?

Why?

Or what?

Good post.

Are you having a laugh?

I've said that we needed more bodies in, I also said that I'm happy with the quality of players that have come in too.

I'm guessing Keegan would agree with both comments.

Re the quality of players I have been and still am of the view that we have brought in a number of youngsters who are squad players for now with the potential to be important first team players in years to come and two players who actually improve the first team. We have also let 3 or 4 first team players go. All in all the squad quality has improved slightly. Well, slightly is not enough for me. I've said time and time before I believed we didn't need a lick of paint, but some major reconstruction instead. We didn't get it, but have seemingly been more concerned about balancing the books.

When Keegan everybody was convinced he wouldn't have come unless promised a major warchest for this summer transfer window. Well, seemingly he didn't get it, and I for one wouldn't be surprised if this entire affair is at least because of Keegan's general disillusionment with the transfer business conducted along with general frustration about the lack of communication between him and the team assigned with bringing the right players in for him to fulfil his and the club's ambitions..

I think part of the problem with Wise (and it's not even his fault) is that people (well, the media) assume he's in line to be manager because he left a job as manager to come here. Getting rid of him will help quelle these rumours

Don't think Wise will be too bothered about being sacked since he's on a managers wage with a 3 year deal IIRC.

He'll have more spends from us than Souness, Roeder & Bobby combined.

Basically, half a Milner.

Yeah petelockey i can see what you're saying there, Ashley did say that about Wise. But the thing is, if you remember the KK Milner interview before the Arsenal game (it can be found on the BBC website, the 9 minute long one), towards the end of the interview the journalists asked KK about Kamil Zayatte and whether he was training at the club. KK confirmed he had trained with us, and that he liked the look of him because he played more than one position. KK then said something along the lines of:

"look i'm not saying anymore because it would be wrong to let Dennis and Jeff know what i think of the player through you lot, without speaking to them myself first"

When he spoke the emphasis was on Wise. It seems he does have a big role to play in bringing in players. It was the same with KK's interview about Jonas, which is why everyone gave me so much stick. KK said Dennis called and told him "i got this player called spiderman in, he's great you'll have to check him out" an KK then said he checked him out and he seemed a good prospect.

has anyone said that ?

It's the impression i seem to get - people saying they were happy with the signings before all this kicked off so we shouldn't get rid of Wise seems to imply they feel he is linked to these transfers... He may have dealt with some of the negotiation but i'm pretty confident someone else (Keegan) could do a lot of that...

Guest Gallowgate Mag

Do we all at least agree that Keegan is the best man for the job here right now, and that we should be doing our utmost to sort any issues out to keep him here?

Yes, no doubt in my mind.