KK resigns - see OP for new club statement issued September 6th

Guest Darth Toon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I guess we won't really no the impact of (and if) Wise has gone until the next window.

From what we've seen of the new signings, 4 look like top notch players... getting rid of Milner for £12m was brilliant business IMO and the proposed £3m for Smith would have been equally as good. Yes we needed a few more players, but as to why thats not happened is anyone guess.

But if Wise going was required for Keegan to stay then it had to happen. The club will implod if keegan left and we would really be starting from scratch. The next few days and week will be very interesting in what is revealed.

Top notch heh? Don´t you think that´s a bit over the top. The only one who arguably has been exceptional has been Jonas. Collocini is clearly adapting and is of proven quality so will hopefully come good, the other two are merely promising and shouldn´t even be in our first team at the moment..

For the amount we have spent and who we really could buy, then yes I'd say they are top notch. Guthrie and Bassong are great prospects, the Argies look great to me so far. Not saying they are world class but they great signings for us.

Question really is what was Wise's involvement... and how much that will be missed.

dont know about guthrie, i dont have problems with him starting for us, although he shouldn't be our best central midfielder, which he is.

bassong is 21, so i wouldn't have a problem with him being slowly beaded in.

I can see where you are coming from with Guthrie, he's a player that hardly featured for Liverpool, and didn't really stand out too much when loaned to Bolton. However like you, I don't have problems with him starting if he follow it up with good performances, and while not outstanding, I do think he's been generally solid for us. Would have prefered a player with a better reputation to be brought in along side him, but we haven't (Gonzalez is still an unknown tbh).

Do we all at least agree that Keegan is the best man for the job here right now, and that we should be doing our utmost to sort any issues out to keep him here?

100% yes...along with the rest of Newcastle fans (bar madras) :p

that has a lovely ring to it

Could do with a curry talking of which.

Do we all at least agree that Keegan is the best man for the job here right now, and that we should be doing our utmost to sort any issues out to keep him here?

I say if Keegan has taken a dislike to the tea lady she should be stripped ,tarred and feathered and all her offspring should be hunted down and shot, ending her family line.

I guess we won't really no the impact of (and if) Wise has gone until the next window.

From what we've seen of the new signings, 4 look like top notch players... getting rid of Milner for £12m was brilliant business IMO and the proposed £3m for Smith would have been equally as good. Yes we needed a few more players, but as to why thats not happened is anyone guess.

But if Wise going was required for Keegan to stay then it had to happen. The club will implod if keegan left and we would really be starting from scratch. The next few days and week will be very interesting in what is revealed.

Top notch heh? Don´t you think that´s a bit over the top. The only one who arguably has been exceptional has been Jonas. Collocini is clearly adapting and is of proven quality so will hopefully come good, the other two are merely promising and shouldn´t even be in our first team at the moment..

For the amount we have spent and who we really could buy, then yes I'd say they are top notch. Guthrie and Bassong are great prospects, the Argies look great to me so far. Not saying they are world class but they great signings for us.

Question really is what was Wise's involvement... and how much that will be missed.

All right, so you meant to say they were top notch signings, not necessarily top notch players (yet)? Even then I wouldn't agree, but at least could understand. Bassong worries me most, because of what the fans of his old club had to say about him when the news broke that he left: they basically saw him as our equivalent of Bramble.. Here's hoping he comes through though.

I say if Keegan has taken a dislike to the tea lady she should be stripped ,tarred and feathered and all her offspring should be hunted down and shot, ending her family line.

:lol:

If he loves this club, he owes it to the supporters to stay on until the end of the season and make his decisions then.  Whether he has threatened to resign or this is some sort of power play, it is stupid, selfish and it needs to stop.  Some pride needs to be swallowed by the figures involved and the best interest of the club needs to be the priority - that being stability, stability, stability. 

I don't want to speculate as to whether Keegan, Wise, Jimenez, Ashley or Llambas are the trouble makers in this crisis but the fact that I had to list out a long chain of people involved in the decision making suggests that we have a few too many cooks near the pot.  If they don't have a good working relationship, then that needs to be addressed. 

The situation demands a press conference where all of the players involved sit down and explain the organizational structure of the club and what steps have been taken to ensure that these tensions don't flare up again.  Or if they are so media shy, at the very least a definitive club statement and interview in a local paper.  Ashley will probably be realizing that the upside & the downside of appointing a legend like Keegan is that he has enormous pull with the supporters.  If he wants to make the DoF/scout/manager structure work, he is going to have to speak to the supporters directly - along with Keegan - and assure everyone of their role and ultimate authority.

If he loves this club, he owes it to the supporters to stay on until the end of the season and make his decisions then.  Whether he has threatened to resign or this is some sort of power play, it is stupid, selfish and it needs to stop.  Some pride needs to be swallowed by the figures involved and the best interest of the club needs to be the priority - that being stability, stability, stability. 

I don't want to speculate as to whether Keegan, Wise, Jimenez, Ashley or Llambas are the trouble makers in this crisis but the fact that I had to list out a long chain of people involved in the decision making suggests that we have a few too many cooks near the pot.  If they don't have a good working relationship, then that needs to be addressed. 

The situation demands a press conference where all of the players involved sit down and explain the organizational structure of the club and what steps have been taken to ensure that these tensions don't flare up again.  Or if they are so media shy, at the very least a definitive club statement and interview in a local paper.  Ashley will probably be realizing that the upside & the downside of appointing a legend like Keegan is that he has enormous pull with the supporters.  If he wants to make the DoF/scout/manager structure work, he is going to have to speak to the supporters directly - along with Keegan - and assure everyone of their role and ultimate authority.

Top post.

To come back on topic, how long will these "discussions" go on for? It's apparently been three days of meetings already about this whole affair. One would like to think that clear the air talks wouldn't have to last the best part of a working week?

Depends how murky the air was.

To come back on topic, how long will these "discussions" go on for? It's apparently been three days of meetings already about this whole affair. One would like to think that clear the air talks wouldn't have to last the best part of a working week?

Guess so.. Does anybody know where these discussions are taking place?

dont know about guthrie, i dont have problems with him starting for us, although he shouldn't be our best central midfielder, which he is.

bassong is 21, so i wouldn't have a problem with him being slowly beaded in.

I can see where you are coming from with Guthrie, he's a player that hardly featured for Liverpool, and didn't really stand out too much when loaned to Bolton. However like you, I don't have problems with him starting if he follow it up with good performances, and while not outstanding, I do think he's been generally solid for us. Would have prefered a player with a better reputation to be brought in along side him, but we haven't (Gonzalez is still an unknown tbh).

Pretty sure that Bolton thought he was great and wanted to sign him, he turned them down to come to us instead.

If he's leaving at the end of the season he might aswell go now, more negatives would come from staying than going.

I gave up reading after "If he loves this club".

Ive heard the talks are talking place in Middlesbrough....we could be here for some time  :kasper:

Guest afternoonfix

The crisis gripping Newcastle United took a new militant twist when it emerged that club owner Mike Ashley was set to face a player revolt at St James' Park as dressing-room support for beleaguered manager Kevin Keegan hardened.  :shifty:

As further talks were taking place to end the bizarre stand-off between Keegan and his directors, the signs of a nascent rebellion were becoming apparent at the Tyneside club whose players share the club supporters' sense of outrage at the high-profile developments of the past few days.

The Newcastle captain, Michael Owen, is expected to lead a delegation of players who will demand answers from the board over the uncertain future of Keegan and the revelations that every player had been put up for sale during the last transfer window.

It was, though, the club's efforts to move on Owen that provoked an angry confrontation between Keegan and managing director Derek Llambias and prompted speculation that Keegan had walked away from the manager's office for a second time.

While Keegan was away sorting out his future with the backing of League Managers Association chief executive Richard Bevan, his assistant, Chris Hughton, supervised training yesterday at Newcastle's Darsley Park training HQ, where the atmosphere among the players was described by one insider as "down and angry because he's so popular".

They are all said to be "100 per cent behind" Keegan and are adamant that they do not want to see Tottenham assistant manager Gus Poyet – who was director of football Dennis Wise's right-hand man at Leeds United and Swindon Town – or Real Zaragoza manager Marcelino Garcia Toral.

It has emerged that the players themselves do not know what is going on at the club and are "surprised" they have not heard anything from "upstairs" and that is why they are seeking answers.

However, the consensus among the playing staff is that Keegan will survive the crisis and return with his hand considerably strengthened, which would suggest that he has a far greater say on transfer dealings than his directors, which has been such a thorny issue for the manager.

Despite the furore, Keegan has privately made it clear that he aims to continue a job he started only last January. "Kevin still wants the job – make no mistake about that – but he would like to be able to buy his own players," a source close to the former England manager said. "If he was allowed to bring in his own players and he failed, he would be the first to hold his hands up."

While billionaire sports retail magnate Ashley was abroad on business, Keegan and Llambias were locked in talks at a secret location, believed to be in Manchester, but the situation was not expected to be resolved immediately.

"We have held a first round of talks and further talks are being planned for this evening," said Bevan.

"Newcastle football club and its fans are massively important to Kevin and he has not resigned as manager of the club. He will be working hard to communicate with the Newcastle board and we will have to wait to see what the outcome is over the next few days."

Earlier, Newcastle moved to deny that Keegan was no longer their manager and revealed talks were ongoing.

"Newcastle United Football Club can confirm that discussions are ongoing between the board and Kevin Keegan," a statement said. "Both the club and Kevin would like to reiterate that Kevin remains as manager. He has not resigned nor has he been sacked, as has been confirmed in respective statements made by Kevin and Newcastle United Football Club."

Keegan, 57, is unhappy about the recruitment policy – with Wise and his team responsible for implementing transfer policy – a matter which was discussed at meetings on Monday and Tuesday and which appears to have brought things to a head.

Meanwhile, it was reported on Tyneside yesterday that Indian billionaire Anil Ambani and his Reliance group are still keen on taking over Newcastle United and are said to be prepared to make a £275 million bid for the club.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/newcastle/2677225/Michael-Owen-set-to-lead-a-player-revolt-over-Kevin-Keegans-future---Football.html

The crisis gripping Newcastle United took a new militant twist when it emerged that club owner Mike Ashley was set to face a player revolt at St James' Park as dressing-room support for beleaguered manager Kevin Keegan hardened.  :shifty:

As further talks were taking place to end the bizarre stand-off between Keegan and his directors, the signs of a nascent rebellion were becoming apparent at the Tyneside club whose players share the club supporters' sense of outrage at the high-profile developments of the past few days.

The Newcastle captain, Michael Owen, is expected to lead a delegation of players who will demand answers from the board over the uncertain future of Keegan and the revelations that every player had been put up for sale during the last transfer window.

It was, though, the club's efforts to move on Owen that provoked an angry confrontation between Keegan and managing director Derek Llambias and prompted speculation that Keegan had walked away from the manager's office for a second time.

While Keegan was away sorting out his future with the backing of League Managers Association chief executive Richard Bevan, his assistant, Chris Hughton, supervised training yesterday at Newcastle's Darsley Park training HQ, where the atmosphere among the players was described by one insider as "down and angry because he's so popular".

They are all said to be "100 per cent behind" Keegan and are adamant that they do not want to see Tottenham assistant manager Gus Poyet – who was director of football Dennis Wise's right-hand man at Leeds United and Swindon Town – or Real Zaragoza manager Marcelino Garcia Toral.

It has emerged that the players themselves do not know what is going on at the club and are "surprised" they have not heard anything from "upstairs" and that is why they are seeking answers.

However, the consensus among the playing staff is that Keegan will survive the crisis and return with his hand considerably strengthened, which would suggest that he has a far greater say on transfer dealings than his directors, which has been such a thorny issue for the manager.

Despite the furore, Keegan has privately made it clear that he aims to continue a job he started only last January. "Kevin still wants the job – make no mistake about that – but he would like to be able to buy his own players," a source close to the former England manager said. "If he was allowed to bring in his own players and he failed, he would be the first to hold his hands up."

While billionaire sports retail magnate Ashley was abroad on business, Keegan and Llambias were locked in talks at a secret location, believed to be in Manchester, but the situation was not expected to be resolved immediately.

"We have held a first round of talks and further talks are being planned for this evening," said Bevan.

"Newcastle football club and its fans are massively important to Kevin and he has not resigned as manager of the club. He will be working hard to communicate with the Newcastle board and we will have to wait to see what the outcome is over the next few days."

Earlier, Newcastle moved to deny that Keegan was no longer their manager and revealed talks were ongoing.

"Newcastle United Football Club can confirm that discussions are ongoing between the board and Kevin Keegan," a statement said. "Both the club and Kevin would like to reiterate that Kevin remains as manager. He has not resigned nor has he been sacked, as has been confirmed in respective statements made by Kevin and Newcastle United Football Club."

Keegan, 57, is unhappy about the recruitment policy – with Wise and his team responsible for implementing transfer policy – a matter which was discussed at meetings on Monday and Tuesday and which appears to have brought things to a head.

Meanwhile, it was reported on Tyneside yesterday that Indian billionaire Anil Ambani and his Reliance group are still keen on taking over Newcastle United and are said to be prepared to make a £275 million bid for the club.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/newcastle/2677225/Michael-Owen-set-to-lead-a-player-revolt-over-Kevin-Keegans-future---Football.html

be hilarious if they come out player power-dinnis style and get xisco to read the demands

be hilarious if they come out player power-dinnis style and get xisco to read the demands

I think the players need to take a hostage and show there serius.

Guest Gallowgate Mag

Am I the only one that loves the thought of our players, specifically the part bout Owen leading it, standing up for Keegan and demanding answers?

"Ye cannit sack Keegan man, he's offering me 120,000 smackers a week. If you do, we'll Boycoutt!!!"