Jonas Gutierrez

Guest Coubury

If the club stabilises we'll have no problem getting into the Top 8 with this side, so i don't think we're guaranteed to lose the likes of him and Coloccini. They've settled in the area well (from what i can gather), and will be on a pretty penny as it is. If the football success is in correlation with their living arrangements - which they appear to be happy with - we should be able to hang onto them alright. You'd have thought the likes of Martins would have left by now n'all.

With Oba I doubt he'd get a bigger club where he'd be a first choice player and have the #9 on his back, to be honest. I know he's been canny recently and he's done some magical stuff in the past, but he's not even a nailed-on starter in the current squad when everybody's fit (even though he probably should be on merit.)

With Gutierrez, provided he stays fit, he seems the sort who could really offer something substantial to a better club than us (particularly thinking in the PL and Liverpool mainly with this), whereas Oba would be bit-part anywhere like that.

I hope he does stay, obviously, and that he can help us to get to those levels you're talking about.

with oba i'd like to think villa was the point. he stayed up a lot more and worked the centre halves and the channels. long way to go,still some poor movement but that where he needs to be and where the goals will come from

He'd walk into the man Utd team down the left tbh.

It's been mentioned among Korean fans for a while that Jonas is basically Jisung Park, only better. Has the same work rate, pace, passing with better strength/balance.

I think Fergie would love him. Although you would think he might have something against Argentines...

madras: I hope so. He's really grown on me at times this season, showing some real signs of improvement (although still retaining some of the most frustrating aspects to his play). A few months under Special K seems to have helped him along a fair bit...

With Owen almost certain to leave I'm confident enough if Oba sticks around... although I worry he might be eyeing a move come the summer as well. Who could blame him if things don't get sorted out here?

madras: I hope so. He's really grown on me at times this season, showing some real signs of improvement (although still retaining some of the most frustrating aspects to his play). A few months under Special K seems to have helped him along a fair bit...

With Owen almost certain to leave I'm confident enough if Oba sticks around... although I worry he might be eyeing a move come the summer as well. Who could blame him if things don't get sorted out here?

i disagree with the special k bit. it was forced on keegan as he wanted to play all 3 and it best suited to play martins further up. roeder didn't have the strength to make his play disciplined..keegan wanted all 3,allardyce...well f*** knows. villa was the first game for me where martins played all game where he is best for himself and for the team.

Was more meaning the specific coaching and stuff he'll have been getting from Keegan during the week, not so much the team selection, although it was mainly tongue-in-cheek.

For what it's worth, I thought he was cracking against Man Utd on the opening day.

Was more meaning the specific coaching and stuff he'll have been getting from Keegan during the week, not so much the team selection, although it was mainly tongue-in-cheek.

For what it's worth, I thought he was cracking against Man Utd on the opening day.

cos he was very much up front on his own and made to stay up there. a decision more by circumstances than choice.

cos he was very much up front on his own and made to stay up there. a decision more by circumstances than choice.

Wasn't disagreeing with that or arguing anything to the contrary. :thup:

Something is not right with him, but i can't quite explain it. The form he showed against Man U is so different to the inconsistent one now. I get the feeling that he's had too much pressure put on him by Kinnear, and he's not fit or adapted enough to carry it all atm, he just seems to try to hard.

Something is not right with him, but i can't quite explain it. The form he showed against Man U is so different to the inconsistent one now. I get the feeling that he's had too much pressure put on him by Kinnear, and he's not fit or adapted enough to carry it all atm, he just seems to try to hard.

It's easy to explain:

Players played well above themselves under Keegan in care free times.

Players not playing that well under Kinnear in times of crisis.

The team's shite, they've got no genuine motivation or confidence, they've got a shit manager. As for Jonas in-particular, he is still a new player and still someone that is learning how this league is being played. He's also just come back from a significant injury. And he isn't playing in his best position.

But i'm probably just making excuses for him and he's simply an average player.

Maybe it's just his personality, but Jonas always looks uncomfortable. Even in the videos and pictures posted of him in public settings, but especially during matches. I think he is a good player, but as others said I do think he is a very good player, but I don't think he will do much if the defence is allowed to focus on him. He is not the type to carry a side.

Guest firetotheworks

I think its simple, hes a very good player whose still very useful at the moment even if he is slightly off form. Analysing him now is an overreaction because of him being slightly off form. We know hes very good, we've got enough evidence of that, we just need to stay on his side if a few thing dont come off for him that he tries. We need players like him in our team.

Players like Jonas, Guthrie, Bassong were stupidly built up at the beginning of the season then people are somewhat shocked when they turn out not to be Ronaldo, Kaka, Terry and in turn the players get slagged off while the real problems (Butt, Duff) are let off for winning a throw in and "being involved".

Players like Jonas, Guthrie, Bassong were stupidly built up at the beginning of the season then people are somewhat shocked when they turn out not to be Ronaldo, Kaka, Terry and in turn the players get slagged off while the real problems (Butt, Duff) are let off for winning a throw in and "being involved".

Kind of agree with your point, but wouldn't say that many are letting Butt and Duff off. Jonas being taken off on Saturday was booed, wasn't it?

Kind of agree with your point, but wouldn't say that many are letting Butt and Duff off. Jonas being taken off on Saturday was booed, wasn't it?

I think people have just accpeted that Butt and Duff are rubbish and past it. People have just moved on. Opinions are really still being formed on Jonas, Bassong, Guthrie, Xisco, Gonzalez, etc. When you have only seen someone play ten times (in your team's colors), one bad performance has much more of an effect on what you think about that player. It is natural. For example, I thought Duff and Ameobi played well Saturday and have been alright under Kinnear, however I know that these players are not good for us, so my opinion is not altered. However, I expected alot of Bassong and Gutierrez because of what I had seen them do in the past. And after both had impressive debuts for us, I was willing to build them up as pillars of this team down the line. However, after seeing their performances dip recently, someone like may come to the realisation that these player are good but not special. In retrospect, this has been a lot of typing to say nothing at all really. I regret responding to this post.