Jonas Gutierrez

Guest Coubury

If he had more end product he wouldn't be playing for this club.

Think that's nonsense. He signed for us because we're considered a big club. Andrey Arshavin was seriously considering Tottenham and even the likes of Newcastle. Jonas got picked up from Velez by Mallorca and put straight into the starting lineup. If he had been picked by a big club to sit on a bench, he'd probaly still be there now.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

We saw the real Jonas against Man U, he had a team that was playing well with him so he wasn't trying hard to create, and he didn't have to worry about defesive duties either.

He didn't do much other than make a few good runs, we only scored off a corner and then hung on.

The only player we have that takes the ball, looks up and runs with it.

Which results in no goals and no end product.

He needs to sort that side of his game pretty quick or he can fuck off in the summer as well

The only player we have that takes the ball, looks up and runs with it.

Which results in no goals and no end product.

He needs to sort that side of his game pretty quick or he can fuck off in the summer as well

:laugh:

I look forward to the days when we have a squad of 0. At least then people won't have anyone to whinge about... except the owner/manager/chairman for letting us get into that state of course...

Guest optimistic nit

if we do sell him then next season (should we stay up) when he's doing really well and we're even worse we'll either be hearing "we could do with someone like jonas in the team" or even worse " he would never have achieved that here anyway" depending on how deluded and in denial the poster is.

it happens with every decent player we've let go and it really annoys me.

He's like a harder working version of N'Zogbia, who creates a bit of excitement but usually runs into blind alleys, but unlike N'Zogbia he never crosses and never scores. Or a completely useless version of James Milner. At any rate, he's not as good as what we had.

We saw the real Jonas against Man U, he had a team that was playing well with him so he wasn't trying hard to create, and he didn't have to worry about defesive duties either.

He didn't do much other than make a few good runs, we only scored off a corner and then hung on.

That's total bollocks tbh. Jonas was absolutely brilliant that day, moreso from a defensive view than an attacking one, as a matter of fact. Like fuck did we hang on though; we should have nicked it midway through the second half. I can remeber Oba clipping another header just over the bar.

Still can't believe that was this season.

:doh:

Full-time Argentina international, one of the best players in La Liga last season, not good enough for 19th in the Premiership. Dear me.

The reason he's not been as effective as of late is because he's in an absolutely rancid team where nobody ever gets in a position for him to pass to, and the opposition have recognized that he's our only attacking threat and are marking him out of the game.

The least of our worries, is Jonas.

One of our few players that contributes anything positive whatsoever.

Be nice if he had any sort of end product though, obviously.

Well it would be nice if there was someone to pass to.

cf. James Milner and Scott Parker for what happens when you hound decent players out of the club because they're not perfect.

And in my mind Jonas is streets ahead of either of those two talent wise.

The sad thing is all of this will be immaterial if we get relegated and have to sell him back to Spain for peanuts, where he'll no doubt have a long and fruitful career.

Worse yet, considering how much Redknapp wanted him at Portsmouth, he could go to Spurs  :kinnear:

Guest Alan Shearer 9

That's total bollocks tbh. Jonas was absolutely brilliant that day, moreso from a defensive view than an attacking one, as a matter of fact. Like fuck did we hang on though; we should have nicked it midway through the second half. I can remeber Oba clipping another header just over the bar.

That's true actually.

That's total bollocks tbh. Jonas was absolutely brilliant that day, moreso from a defensive view than an attacking one, as a matter of fact. Like f*** did we hang on though; we should have nicked it midway through the second half. I can remeber Oba clipping another header just over the bar.

That's true actually.

Not just Man U, pretty much all of our best performances this season (Man U, Portsmouth, Villa, First half of Stoke (h)... Christ, that's a short list.) have coincided with the other team failing to deal with Jonas.

I thought that when I read it.

No way should he be in the top ten worst signings.

I thought it was a bit harsh on Xisco being there too considering he's not been given the chance to show whether or not he's a good signing.

Top Ten Worst Signings:

7. Fabricio Coloccini How much, Newcastle?  £10.3m?? Ouch, Newcastle. Ouch.

8. Xisco - £5.7m? Oh, Newcastle. Tut, tut, tut. Shall we mention Gutierrez and Nolan as well? Or just leave it? Lets just leave it. Theyve suffered enough.

Bit harsh,no?

http://blog.sport.co.uk/Football/244/Top_Ten_Worst_signings_of_the_season.aspx

Post the full 10? Can't get on that link.

1. Dimitar Berbatov – It’s not been going particularly well of late for Manchester United’s £30m Bulgarian, whom many United fans see as breaking up last season’s dynamic attacking unit, and tamely farting a penalty at Tim Howard in last Sunday’s FA Cup semi-final against Everton hardly helped matters.

2. Deco – The £8m Portuguese midfielder looked unstoppable in his first few games for Chelsea but has since disappeared in a ‘mercurial’ puff of smoke. You might say that Scolari dropped a Ballack.

3. Jimmy Bullard – Phil Brown’s Hull City (PBHC) paid Fulham £5m for the decent but injury-prone midfielder in the hope that it would arrest their slide down the table but, sure enough, Bullard inured his knee just 37 minutes into his first game and will now miss the rest of the season. Poor PBHC.

4. Paul Robinson – It’s entirely appropriate that the former England goalkeeper was Paul Ince’s first signing for Blackburn as this piece of business is a perfect representative microcosm of Ince’s reign – rubbish. It appears that £3.5m Robinson has at some point during the last few years been struck by lightning, while the irksome Ince’s subsequent sacking keeps him happily out of both sight and mind. Allardyce next, please.

5. Dave Kitson – Stoke paid a club record fee of £5.5m to take the striker from Reading, in the hope that his goals would fire them to safety. 16 games and no goals later – and having accrued the nickname ‘Dave S***son’ – he was loaned back to Reading.

6. Jo – The Brazilian striker represented £19m down the drain for Manchester City but, somewhat uniquely, could also be in line for shrewdest signing of the season given the goals he’s scored since moving on loan to Everton in January. Given that the Toffees are unlikely to be able to afford to make his move permanent, it will be interesting to see what happens next for this erratic young talent.

7. Fabricio Coloccini – How much, Newcastle?  £10.3m?? Ouch, Newcastle. Ouch.

8. Xisco - £5.7m? Oh, Newcastle. Tut, tut, tut. Shall we mention Gutierrez and Nolan as well? Or just leave it? Let’s just leave it. They’ve suffered enough.

9. Scott Carson – Made a loan move permanent from Liverpool to West Brom for a fee of £3.75m but it’s fair to say he hasn’t much impressed. In fact, he’s made some howlers so howling that every dog within a 50-mile radius joined in in chorus. Still a young goalkeeper though, so time is on his side.

10. Robbie Keane – Despite the fact that Liverpool managed to recoup much of the £20m they paid Spurs for the Irish forward, and despite Benitez implying that the signing was not his idea, this was a bad ‘un. Could have been useful during the title run-in, given that David N’gog’s injury leaves Liverpool relatively light up front.

Honourable Mentions...

11. David Bentley – Continuing the merry-go-round of crap signings, Spurs paid Blackburn £15 million for the England midfielder, with up to an additional £2 million payable upon “future performances”. Spectacular goal against Arsenal aside, Bentley has been pretty dreadful. In a pleasing kind of way.

12. Borja Valero – West Brom paid a club record fee of £4.7m for Valero, who is apparently a Spanish midfielder who has made 29 appearances this season. Who knew? Anyway, Tony ‘Cup of Beans’ Mowbray insists that Valero is in his plans so, who knows, maybe you’ll see him about one day.

13. Anton Ferdinand – We could tell you how much Sunderland paid West Ham for Rio’s brother but it’s probably best you’re not sipping any coffee at the time. So…ready? Ok, here goes. Eight milli…**broadcast interrupted by sound of projectile spewing of coffee from mouths**

14. Johan Elmander – Sometimes, you just know a signing isn’t going to work out, even if you know little about the player being signed. You see his name, you see the fee, and you just get a feeling. Alfonso Alves, Corrado Grabbi, Georgios Samaras – meet Bolton’s £8.2m Swedish striker Johan Elmander. He is your brother now.

15. Tal Ben Haim – Mark Hughes’ £5m signing from Chelsea seemed like a good idea at the time, but it didn’t quite work out for the Israeli at Manchester City and he is now on loan at Sunderland where he could form an all-star centre-back partnership with Anton Fer…**pffffffffffffffffftttttttttt splutter**

:doh:

Full-time Argentina international, one of the best players in La Liga last season, not good enough for 19th in the Premiership. Dear me.

The reason he's not been as effective as of late is because he's in an absolutely rancid team where nobody ever gets in a position for him to pass to, and the opposition have recognized that he's our only attacking threat and are marking him out of the game.

Spot on post  :thup:

Jonas Gutierrez has no regrets over joining NUFC

Apr 24 2009 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

JONAS GUTIERREZ has “no regrets” about the way his Newcastle United career has worked out as he prepares to face the club he once had his heart set on signing for.

The Argentina international almost joined Pompey last year before the move fell through and Newcastle pounced to sign the hard-working winger from Real Mallorca last summer.

Jonas insists he is happy with life on Tyneside despite the Magpies’ precarious position and says he is aiming to reproduce the form that earned him a magnum of champagne at Fratton Park in arguably his best performance for the black and whites.

He told the Chronicle: “I have no regrets.

“I hoped I would have the chance to go to Portsmouth in January 2008 before I came here.

“But I am glad that I came here.

“The only worry is that we have five games and we have to win as many of them as possible.”

Jonas still has his bottle of bubbly on ice after the 3-0 away win at Pompey that day and has a special celebration planned if Newcastle can win their battle for survival.

He added: “I still have the champagne, I didn’t drink it and it’s still at my home.

“If we stay up at the end of the season I am sure I will drink that champagne.”

However, he is fully focused on the tough task in hand as Newcastle’s season reaches critical levels.

He added: “This is going to be my most important game for the club.

“We know exactly where we are so we must take three points. The training has been very good and everybody is prepared for the game with Portsmouth.

“All the players are aware of just how serious this situation is

Yet a repeat of the superb performance down on the south coast in December would be the first step to help United secure their top flight status.

Jonas said: “It was an incredible match and maybe my best match.

“I think that we did a lot of things right.

“We kept the ball, we scored three very good goals and they just couldn’t get the ball off us that day.

“We could have scored a fourth or a fifth goal that day. It was, for me, the best game I played.”

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/04/24/jonas-gutierrez-has-no-regrets-over-joining-nufc-72703-23463256/