Would you want Keegan back now?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The more this goes on, the more I definitely don't want Keegan back. The idea that the whole club is so completely in thrall to one temperamental, volatile man is frankly appalling.

ironically for years everyone was saying we had to get the shadow of shearer of our backs and when all comes to all it wasn't him that was the problem.

Gentlemen. You're absolutely correct.

:clap:

Newcastle stars are convinced that Kevin Keegan’s return is imminent.

Spirits in the St James’ Park dressing room soared on Thursday when Keegan, who walked out last month, turned up at a charity golf event hosted by Magpies keeper Steve Harper.

Keegan spoke privately to several senior players intimating that moves are afoot on two fronts to secure his return to the ground where he is worshipped as a folk hero.

It was the first chance Keegan had to explain the reasons for his departure. He left them in no doubt that he could be back as early as next month.

A club insider said: “Kevin spent a lot of the golf day on his phone clearly talking to people interested in bringing him back to Newcastle.

When asked in public about the chances of a return he just winked and said, ‘Watch this space’.

“But privately he told some senior players things were happening that could secure his return.”

Investment bankers Seymour Pierce have sent takeover details to seven interested parties. They hold talks with serious potential buyers this week.

The outcome of those talks will decide Keegan’s fate. The source added: “Kevin knows there are a lot of obstacles to overcome, not least his impending legal battle with Newcastle over his departure and he has to establish the credibility of some of the people claiming they want him back.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/10/04/retoon-of-king-kev-115875-20773949/

So he's out playing golf and making sure the circumstances are right for him to return to the club.  I hope I'm not the only one who finds that completely obnoxious and annoying given the current circumstances. 

Part of me hopes that these African bids are turned down and that we end up instead with some seriously rich Arabs, Americans or Asians who don't have any time for all of this nostalgic, dramatic bullshit.  People that will buy the club, invest enough money to attract a young, ambitious manager from somewhere in Europe, give him their full backing, assemble a top notch coaching staff and ignore the soap opera.  I don't want an owner or a manager who desires to make himself popular, I want a proven winner.  Maybe we can't attract the elite managers, but we sure as hell shouldn't be bending over backwards to attract old, tired second or third tier candidates.  Show some ambition for f***s sake.  If Keegan wants his job back, he should sell himself to the new owners and prove to them that he has the skills and passion to turn things around.  The burden is on Keegan to prove he still has the ability, not on the owners to keep him happy.  We shouldn't be organizing the affairs of the entire organization around one man.

Newcastle stars are convinced that Kevin Keegan’s return is imminent.

Spirits in the St James’ Park dressing room soared on Thursday when Keegan, who walked out last month, turned up at a charity golf event hosted by Magpies keeper Steve Harper.

Keegan spoke privately to several senior players intimating that moves are afoot on two fronts to secure his return to the ground where he is worshipped as a folk hero.

It was the first chance Keegan had to explain the reasons for his departure. He left them in no doubt that he could be back as early as next month.

A club insider said: “Kevin spent a lot of the golf day on his phone clearly talking to people interested in bringing him back to Newcastle.

When asked in public about the chances of a return he just winked and said, ‘Watch this space’.

“But privately he told some senior players things were happening that could secure his return.”

Investment bankers Seymour Pierce have sent takeover details to seven interested parties. They hold talks with serious potential buyers this week.

The outcome of those talks will decide Keegan’s fate. The source added: “Kevin knows there are a lot of obstacles to overcome, not least his impending legal battle with Newcastle over his departure and he has to establish the credibility of some of the people claiming they want him back.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/10/04/retoon-of-king-kev-115875-20773949/

So he's out playing golf and making sure the circumstances are right for him to return to the club.  I hope I'm not the only one who finds that completely obnoxious and annoying given the current circumstances. 

Part of me hopes that these African bids are turned down and that we end up instead with some seriously rich Arabs, Americans or Asians who don't have any time for all of this nostalgic, dramatic bullshit.  People that will buy the club, invest enough money to attract a young, ambitious manager from somewhere in Europe, give him their full backing, assemble a top notch coaching staff and ignore the soap opera.  I don't want an owner or a manager who desires to make himself popular, I want a proven winner.  Maybe we can't attract the elite managers, but we sure as hell shouldn't be bending over backwards to attract old, tired second or third tier candidates.  Show some ambition for f***s sake.  If Keegan wants his job back, he should sell himself to the new owners and prove to them that he has the skills and passion to turn things around.  The burden is on Keegan to prove he still has the ability, not on the owners to keep him happy.  We shouldn't be organizing the affairs of the entire organization around one man.

Absolutely spot on that!. :clap:

Guest bluegeordie

You're definitely not the only one. I agree with pretty much everything you've written there, and especially the bits in bold. Imo Keegan will be damned lucky if NUFC has him back, and not the other way around. Personally I hope that the new owners look elsewhere, and as you suggest with a positive forwards vision rather than a nostalgic backwards glance. If the best predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour then Keegan is way too much of a risk - he's walked numerous times before, and imo it would just be a matter of time before he walked again. Keegan has given much to (but also taken much from, which sometimes seems to be forgotten around here) NUFC in the past - his legendary status is assured, but it's time that the club moved on.     

You're definitely not the only one. I agree with pretty much everything you've written there, and especially the bits in bold. Imo Keegan will be damned lucky if NUFC has him back, and not the other way around. Personally I hope that the new owners look elsewhere, and as you suggest with a positive forwards vision rather than a nostalgic backwards glance. If the best predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour then Keegan is way too much of a risk - he's walked numerous times before, and imo it would just be a matter of time before he walked again. Keegan has given much to (but also taken much from, which sometimes seems to be forgotten around here) NUFC in the past - his legendary status is assured, but it's time that the club moved on.     

yep bang the fuck on the money from chicago :clap:

The more this goes on, the more I definitely don't want Keegan back. The idea that the whole club is so completely in thrall to one temperamental, volatile man is frankly appalling.

ironically for years everyone was saying we had to get the shadow of shearer of our backs and when all comes to all it wasn't him that was the problem.

On the pitch you can afford to have one Shearer. You just can't have five or six.

I think I would just about settle for having six Shearers on the pitch this afternoon like.

yep bang the fuck on the money from chicago :clap:

I've not heard the case expressed like that, but it's spot on. He should be proving his worth, not behaving like he's doing us a big favour by coming back.

I've been accused in defending Keegan of choosing which media reports to believe - nice to see the other side leaping on some unsubstantiated bollocks to kick off another jizzfest.

Again - name a proven winner who would come and who would actually lift the place.

I've been accused in defending Keegan of choosing which media reports to believe - nice to see the other side leaping on some unsubstantiated bollocks to kick off another jizzfest.

Again - name a proven winner who would come and who would actually lift the place.

:clap:

It's a risible failure of both imagination and intellect if you believe Keegan is the only manager in the world who can handle the job.

Do you guys really believe this bloke is the fucking Messiah?

Embarrassing.

Guest fraser

It's a risible failure of both imagination and intellect if you believe Keegan is the only manager in the world who can handle the job.

Do you guys really believe this bloke is the f***ing Messiah?

Embarrassing.

I personally have never called him a Messiah; my opinion that he is more likely to succeed here than most is based on an objective appreciation of his record. The usual emotional response (of 'quitter', 'toys from pram' and so on) given by many on this board doesn't hold water; he is too honest and too principled for many though.

Do you guys really believe this bloke is the fucking Messiah?

Embarrassing.

No I don't think he;s the messiah - I just think he's the best manager we've had in my lifetime by a mile and someone who could do the job in the short/medium term. I know he has many flaws but so does everyone.

I'm willing to back someone better of course - pity none of you can name anyone.

Embarrassing.

I personally have never called him a Messiah; my opinion that he is more likely to succeed here than most is based on an objective appreciation of his record. The usual emotional response (of 'quitter', 'toys from pram' and so on) given by many on this board doesn't hold water; he is too honest and too principled for many though.

Objective?  ;D

Guest fraser

Embarrassing.

Objective?  ;D

Yes. As a player and manager Keegan has shown that he is prepared to test himself. His playing record speaks for itself.

In terms of his management he has managed Newcastle United, Fulham and Manchester City to promotion. Under his tenure Newcastle United had it's finest seasons for many years. He left Newcastle United as it became a plc run by the regime that many on this board revile having previously done so to force the board's hand. God knows where we'd be now if he had not acted in such a way.

He left Fulham to take the England manager's position.

He left Manchester City secure in the Premiership (only leaving early at the request of the City board having stated his intention to retire at the season's end).

None of us who post here know the details of why he left us on this occasion and judgement should be reserved.

Embarrassing.

This is nonsense. Robin Cook resigned from the cabinet over going into Iraq over his 'principles'. Dont confuse power games at football clubs with big important concepts like principles. Please. Its a joke to do so.

i dont see why your opinion of keegan should change 'the more this goes on'. it's like you think he's the blame for ashley selling up, failing to find a buyer, failing to appoint a proper manager, the poor results, venables turning us down, joe kinnear, gerry francis etc. news flash - he's no longer at the club, no matter what your opinion of the events leading up to keegan's departure, the person responsible for what's gone on after is mike ashley.

True, there may not be anything in this story about the golf tournament. However, the point that I thought was very well made by CS was that Keegan is not actually a proven winner, and we shouldn't be acting as if he's offering us anything exceptional other than popularity with the majority of the fans. We need someone who's going to treat the job as a great opportunity, not someone who's only going to accept it on the terms of his own choosing.

As for the alternative, if Big Joe makes a success of his 6 weeks in charge, I'd give him a longer contract. True, we're a bit restricted in choice at this stage of the season, but I wouldn't turn back to Keegan after all this. No way.

Guest Howaythetoon
We need someone who's going to treat the job as a great opportunity, not someone who's only going to accept it on the terms of his own choosing.

You mean someone like Joe Kinnear?

Any decent manager looking at this specific job knowing what has gone on, will only take the job on his own terms. Most managers want assurances and certain stipulations in place if they are to take on a job anyway, those that don't tend to be desperate or just want an opportunity, i.e. your Joe Kinnears or Glenn Roeders.

A good manager like KK will always demand certain things or want this or that and rightly so because these are the guys that invariably know what they are doing.

You say you want someone who will treat the job as a great opportunity... if Arsene Wenger left Arsenal and Newcastle went in for him, but he turned the job down despite being interested because the club wouldn't match his terms (not to be confused with financial terms), what would you say to that? You'd be critical of the club.

The fact it is KK who you have been cynical and indeed critical of since his return, is clouding your judgment Bob. You accuse him of wanting his cake and to eat it yet isn't that what you're doing here?

Guest Howaythetoon

As for the alternative, if Big Joe makes a success of his 6 weeks in charge, I'd give him a longer contract. True, we're a bit restricted in choice at this stage of the season, but I wouldn't turn back to Keegan after all this. No way.

Roeder scenario all over again, Kinnear + money + transfer window would spell disaster for this club. I know I wouldn't like to see him handed serious money nor would I want him to stay beyond his current deal regardless of results in that time.

He's still a top manager based on our significantly improved performances under him with the same playing squad as those who managed to make us look relegation candidate material.

It's frustrating that he hasnt been backed in the transfer market either. I reckon he's got an excellent yet secretive "scouting network" so to speak - maybe not employed scouts per se, but plenty of contacts who he can rely on to give good judgement with regards to players playing elsewhere.

Roeder scenario all over again, Kinnear + money + transfer window would spell disaster for this club. I know I wouldn't like to see him handed serious money nor would I want him to stay beyond his current deal regardless of results in that time.

I cringe at the thought of him being here any longer than the number of games mentioned but I fully support him while he's here.  I hope he's not anywhere near us when the transfer window opens again, especially as it will mean that the future of the club is probably still up in the air.

I cringe at the thought of him being here any longer than the number of games mentioned but I fully support him while he's here.  I hope he's not anywhere near us when the transfer window opens again, especially as it will mean that the future of the club is probably still up in the air.

Absolutely Mick. Anyone who doesnt think along these same lines is mad.

Well, I've read a lot of comments on his board at various times, about managers like Moyes, Curbishley, Redknapp, Hughes, O'Neill - people who have some proven ability, but for reasons that aren't clear some people take against them as potential managers for NUFC. If you look at Joe Kinnear's record, it's pretty tidy. There are no guarantees in this, but who's to say he wouldn't do a good job here? The reasons for favouring one manager rather than another often seem a bit arbitrary to me.

Guest Howaythetoon

He's still a top manager based on our significantly improved performances under him with the same playing squad as those who managed to make us look relegation candidate material.

It's frustrating that he hasnt been backed in the transfer market either. I reckon he's got an excellent yet secretive "scouting network" so to speak - maybe not employed scouts per se, but plenty of contacts who he can rely on to give good judgement with regards to players playing elsewhere.

We're seeing the difference KK made to what is a rather average team, he had us moving forward and playing good football. Every area of the team had improved where as some of the players' games had also improved, none more so than Michael Owen who as things stand is not only our best striker but best midfielder too.

KK is worth at least an extra 20 points to this team, easily. Just look at the start to the season we made with a very comfortable performance away to the champions where many considered we were rather unfortunate to not come away without a win. Imagine the same side going to OT today? We'd get hammered.

Of course other factors other than KK leaving have dented players' confidence and form, but KK has had the biggest positive and negative impact on this team which speaks volumes of his managerial abilities. I've said it many a time, KK is a very good manager underneath the messiah stuff and all that nonsense which is why it was extra sad to see him leave because we lost a good manager who if backed all the way and not nessacarily with huge funds ala Souness or Chelsea but with decent money, could have been the one to take us back into the top 6 and who knows maybe beyond that.

Based on his abilities as a manager, would I have him back tomorrow? In a flash.

However there is more to it all than that and I now think we need to move on so hand on heart, I'd like us to do just that, sorry Kev.