Michael Owen

Guest Howaythetoon

Get rid, he's useless and doesn't care about the club.

What a fookin stupid comment, do you think he has not put any effort in recent games and if he didnt care he would shy off with injury you muppet :rant: :nope:

A muppet? A MUPPET?! I'll show you a bloody muppet! :angry:

http://msnbcmedia4.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/060915/060915_elmo_vmed.widec.jpg

Now THAT'S a muppet :thup:

snip

Fair enough, but were those times not blighted by niggly injuries here and there?

A fully fit Owen with games under his belt Is better than anything we have had up front since Shearer pre 97 imo.

Possibly (re: injuries), however he still looks more dangerous when he drops deep imo.

Disagree to an extent with your second comment. He might have been a prick and isn't remembered fondley because of the fallout with Shearer during the episode where the club's name was dragged through the mud yet again, Craig Bellamy was a fantastic player for us in the Premiership, a player who gave us another dimension whenever he played. Owen may be the classier player and Bellamy yesterday's man, but Bellamy was extremely effective imo, to the extent that he often changed the way the entire opposition backline played their game.

On a side note, although plenty of our fans think he was s*** because they recall his spell with us as opposed to his spell at AC Milan, John Dahl Tomasson was an excellent attacking midfielder slash deep forward who's movement was similar to that of Owen's - very difficult to pick up, not the most gifted player but very competent on the ball and consistent once inside the box. IMO I see Owen as having developed into that type of player lately, a better version because he's a better footballer than Tomasson, and although he still might be useful as the target-man forward waiting to be slipped through on goal, I hope we play him in the attacking midfield spot until the end of the season because of his potency there, and hopefully longer as the formation/system is pretty unique outside of a handful of other teams - although the sceptical side of me says that he's already gone, a decision made long before the current mess was created.

It would be nice if he stayed, but if he would rather leave then goodbye and good luck. Hopefully with new owners in we will spend big and get a worthy replacement.

There is NO way a player with Owen's quality would join NUFC until the club starts producing both on and off the pitch, takeover or no takeover - if he goes before the end of the season we will be odds-on for relegation.

Guest Geordie Boyo

Couldn't care less what anyone says, he's still world class, a total class act.  He's a leader, never loses the ball, drops in deep when needed to help out in areas of the pitch where he shouldn't be because certain player's aren't doing their job! Always looks for the best pass and gets in the right positions. We're f*#*#*g blessed to have not only a high quality player , but a player with a top notch professional attitude in terms of giving his all by everyone concerned.

Couldn't care less what anyone says, he's still world class, a total class act.  He's a leader, never loses the ball, drops in deep when needed to help out in areas of the pitch where he shouldn't be because certain player's aren't doing their job! Always looks for the best pass and gets in the right positions. We're f*#*#*g blessed to have not only a high quality player , but a player with a top notch professional attitude in terms of giving his all by everyone concerned.

:clap: :clap:

Guest LucaAltieri

Absolutely top man, and I haven't always thought that.

His intelligence and courage now make me think he will one day make a very good manager should he wish to be.

Whatever happens we MUST do everything possible to keep this man at the club.

Seconded.

Apart from his talent on the field, his presence will help any with any future signings we're trying to make. If we let him go what other big names do we have to attract the brightest players? People will want to work with Michael Owen. I imagine Viduka and Martins (as good as he is) don't have the same draw.

Owen has been our most important player since Shearer retired - moreso now than ever before.

Going to be left out of the england squad again, this time because newcastle arent doing well! i can see some kind of base logic, but owen is a class player regardless of recent circumstances or who he is playing with/for. cappello is effectively telling him to move to a top 4 club, cappello can fuck off imo.

Going to be left out of the england squad again, this time because newcastle arent doing well! i can see some kind of base logic, but owen is a class player regardless of recent circumstances or who he is playing with/for. cappello is effectively telling him to move to a top 4 club, cappello can f*** off imo.

So we can expect to see the likes of Woodgate, King, Jenas, etc. left out then.

Guest timmy boy

Him getting left out of the England squad will only make him want to leave more imo. It's another reason for him to jump ship if he's continually overlooked in this shite team.

Fabio Capello names his England squad on Sunday evening for the forthcoming qualifiers against Kazakhstan and Belarus, and the Italian has delivered a cutting assessment of Michael Owen’s qualities ahead of the selection.

Capello names his England squad at 8pm on Sunday, log on to setantasports.com for instant news of his selection.

Owen was not named in Capello’s last squad, with the England boss citing a lack of match practice, but that cannot be levelled at the Newcastle man this time who has scored five goals this season.

When it comes to chance-to-goals ratios, Owen is second-to-none in England, yet that may not be enough to impress the England boss.

“When I see a player I try to find a lot of things about movement, the position, whether he is fit enough,” explains Capello.

“Is he in good form now? He's scoring but it's not enough to score goals.

“Sometimes I see games where a player has not played for 89 minutes and then scores a goal. It's not enough.

“Goals are very important but not only goals.”

Owen is the second highest English goalscorer in The Premier League this season, one goal behind Jermain Defoe.

Yet after Theo Walcott’s magical showing in the 4-1 victory over Croatia, it is clear that Capello feels he does not necessarily need Owen in England’s forthcoming matches.

“Owen is fit now but it's not a good moment for Newcastle. We have to wait and then decide.

“I have to decide which players can play in that position. I don't think it's a problem for me, [whether it is] Owen or other players,” Capello stated, before turning to Walcott.

“I think when you find a young player, a good player, an interesting player at the top level, you have to play with them.

“His age is not important. What is important is his quality, his confidence. Then he has to play. It is a stupid example but Maradona played when he was 16. He was ready. Now Theo is ready.”

http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/10/05/World-Cup-Capello-on-Owen-ahead-of-squad-selection/

Get rid, he's useless and doesn't care about the club.

What a fookin stupid comment, do you think he has not put any effort in recent games and if he didnt care he would shy off with injury you muppet :rant: :nope:

Just seen this. Oh dear.

f***ing t***!!! Don't get me wrong I'd rather Owen didn't play for England but as long as he's not even getting selected for the squad he's gonna be wanting to be away even more. As O-N says above surely this tripe from Capello will mean that Woodgate/Bentley/Jenas etc. will all be left out?!?! Will it balls. He should just come out and say he doesn't like him rather than blaming the situation on us.

f***ing t***!!! Don't get me wrong I'd rather Owen didn't play for England but as long as he's not even getting selected for the squad he's gonna be wanting to be away even more. As O-N says above surely this tripe from Capello will mean that Woodgate/Bentley/Jenas etc. will all be left out?!?! Will it balls. He should just come out and say he doesn't like him rather than blaming the situation on us.

Win situation for us.

Less chance of Owen getting an injury, which is vital to our season.

As for him not being in the squad increasing his chances of wanting away, I dont think for a second he's ever had any intention of signing a new contract, Keegan or no Keegan, board room mess or no mess, England squad or not, based on the fact that he never wanted to come here in the first place and no doubt gave his agents the nod in trying to leave last year.

Guest LucaAltieri

Wont have impressed Capello too much today.

Capello wants someone who can do more than score goals. While he was a little quieter than usual he still played some great passes today.