Michael Owen

Guest Howaythetoon

I'd have him in the squad for sure, even more shocking is the fact that Ashley Young hasn't made it, class act. Should be guaranteed a start with Joe Cole not fit, disgraceful some of the players in the squad ahead of him.

Guest Stephen927

It's a game against Kazakhstan. If you can't bring the likes of Ashley Young in and give them a chance for a competitive international game like that, when can you?

It's a game against Kazakhstan. If you can't bring the likes of Ashley Young in and give them a chance for a competitive international game like that, when can you?

Well, Kazakhstan's players are not very nice. That's probably why.

Ashley Young for Downing

A better centre back for Matthew fucking Upson - shouldn't be too hard to find

Owen should surely be in there somewhere, however you can't leave out Defoe on recent form (even if he's dogshit at International level by and large) Rooney is a guaranteed starter alongside Heskey or Crouch. Anyone who played against Croatia isn't going to be dropped from the squad, be interesting to see if he goes back to Gerrard/Lampard. I hope he leaves Gerrard out tbh, think if it's one of him or Lampard, Lampard has been better this season.

Surprised, he simply didn't seem as up for it as other players.

That's what I thought - mentally, he didn't look there. I don't know if he was asked to do a role he didn't like, but he just didn't get himself involved.

If Capello wasn't impressed with the previous games, he won't have been impressed today. Owen was gash as a striker today, anyhow - really frustrating. Hardly any movement whatsoever all match. Surprised, he simply didn't seem as up for it as other players.

That's how i saw it as well today. I've been quite heartened by some of Owen's performances this season but today he looked over the hill. Didn't really offer the midfield anything to aim for, and unlike other matches, didn't offer much from deep either.

Capello has more or less spelled out why he's not picking Owen. He doesn't think he offers enough in terms of creating things for others. That's the reason why the big four don't want Owen either. The game has moved on, and the overall package that Owen is offering isn't enough for the very top level.

Capello has more or less spelled out why he's not picking Owen. He doesn't think he offers enough in terms of creating things for others. That's the reason why the big four don't want Owen either. The game has moved on, and the overall package that Owen is offering isn't enough for the very top level.

Owen's overall package is irrelevent. If you're in dire need of a goal in a crucial game, who would you prefer to bring off the bench, Michael Owen, or Emile Heskey?

Are there any crucial games coming up?

Owen's overall package is irrelevent. If you're in dire need of a goal in a crucial game, who would you prefer to bring off the bench, Michael Owen, or Emile Heskey?

There's a case for using him from the bench, like Real did, in the end. Either Capello feels he has other options, or he thinks that it's better to leave him out altogether, I don't know.

Heskey is a totally different player. They're not really competing for the same place.

Heskey is a totally different player. They're not really competing for the same place.

Despite them being different players, I think they are.

All of the strikers are fighting for a place upfront alongside Rooney.

You get what you get with Owen. At his best, a predator. At his worst, well, you get what you did today. Very little of anything. Either way he's not going to turn into a creative player, and why the hell should he, he's a striker ffs, so there's no point trying to find these attributes in him.

Meanwhile, Ashley Young has surely eaten Capello's hamster or burnt his house down or something. I'd lose faith in the England team if I were Young, that in a game against Kazakhstan, he still can't get in. Even if Capello wanted to start the same side that did so well in Croatia, fair enough, but surely have Young at least on the bench to give a run-out to.

Jenas? Why! The thought of him keeping Young out is just laughable. Already have 3 very able central midfielders in the squad in Gerrard Lampard and Barry.

Upson? Why! Have I missed something?

And, has Wayne Bridge played for Chelsea this season?

Thoroughly disappointing choices. Regardless, 6 points should be ensured whatever combination of players we ultimately go with. (They're both at home aren't they?)

Despite them being different players, I think they are.

All of the strikers are fighting for a place upfront alongside Rooney.

You're right, it is Rooney plus AN Other. But I'd put Rooney with a target man, and that's not Owen's role.

On Ashley Young, I think when Capello played him in that friendly against the USA, Young looked a bit out of his depth. A bit think, basically.

I'd love to see Agbonglahor (Sp?) and Rooney up front with two out of Walcott, Young and Joe Cole on the wings. With either Gerrard or Lampard in CM, there should be plenty of goals from that front five.

I'd love to see Agbonglahor (Sp?) and Rooney up front with two out of Walcott, Young and Joe Cole on the wings. With either Gerrard or Lampard in CM, there should be plenty of goals from that front five.

Not sure about starting Agbonlahor but certainly have him in the squad, same with Young. Yes in an ideal world I'd want Young starting but that would involve being slightly ambituous and changing something which we're unlikely to realistically see. Mind after Zagreb, Capello will be able to justify the astounding omission of Young. (Think Agbonlahor has been left in the U21s because of the playoff).

The Bridge decision is also baffling, surely Shorey or Baines should get a run out, considering they are playing regularly. 

While Defoe has probably been picked because of his good form this year, he's a very similar player to Owen in that he's quick and relies on others to set up goals without really contributing to the overall play, yet he has an appalling record for England when compared to Owen. 

The thing is though, with Capello, while the team hasn't played well under him bar Croatia and T&T, the results are still there, and that's hard to argue with.  But at the end of the day, this is a team that will put in another 2nd round or maybe Qtr Final appearance at the world cup and then lose to a team that knows how to play football or take penalties.  Nothing appears to have changed on that front.

The Bridge decision is also baffling, surely Shorey or Baines should get a run out, considering they are playing regularly. 

While Defoe has probably been picked because of his good form this year, he's a very similar player to Owen in that he's quick and relies on others to set up goals without really contributing to the overall play, yet he has an appalling record for England when compared to Owen. 

The thing is though, with Capello, while the team hasn't played well under him bar Croatia and T&T, the results are still there, and that's hard to argue with.  But at the end of the day, this is a team that will put in another 2nd round or maybe Qtr Final appearance at the world cup and then lose to a team that knows how to play football or take penalties.  Nothing appears to have changed on that front.

Bridge is back-up to Cole at club level, so not sure how that should affect his international chances.