Michael Owen

Guest Howaythetoon

At the end of the day, if Owen can find a better club who are willing to pay him as much or more than we will then good luck to him and goodbye as far as I'm concerned. I think he's been offered a good deal but he might just prefer to be somewhere else, in which case I wouldn't lose much sleep over him leaving.

I was referring to the fact that, a week before he signed, Owen made a public statement that he would only come to our club on a loan basis. Shepherd's response was to put in an inflated transfer offer to Real, which effectively made us the only option if he was to get first team football. Owen was put in a position where he either stayed in Real's reserves and his place in the World Cup squad was put in jeopardy, or he signed for us. Even then we had to offer him a stupid salary to make it palatable.

In those circumstances, 'he didn't want to join us in the first place' seems a fair and accurate comment.

Ignoring Owen's stated wishes and manipulating the situation in that way was possibly Shepherd's most stupid action as Chairman, and the competition for that accolade is fierce. We're been reaping the consequences ever since.

he said in public what is said in private all the time. again i'll ask which players at nufc have nufc as their first choice and would have turned down any of the top 4 for us. ?

None is the answer probably, although Given (maybe), Harper and Taylor might be questionable. As a lower mid table club thats about as stable as the lovechild of Amy Winehouse and Paul Gascoigne and shows less ambition in its transfer dealings than many of its peers - we can expect little else really.

I was referring to the fact that, a week before he signed, Owen made a public statement that he would only come to our club on a loan basis. Shepherd's response was to put in an inflated transfer offer to Real, which effectively made us the only option if he was to get first team football. Owen was put in a position where he either stayed in Real's reserves and his place in the World Cup squad was put in jeopardy, or he signed for us. Even then we had to offer him a stupid salary to make it palatable.

In those circumstances, 'he didn't want to join us in the first place' seems a fair and accurate comment.

Ignoring Owen's stated wishes and manipulating the situation in that way was possibly Shepherd's most stupid action as Chairman, and the competition for that accolade is fierce. We're been reaping the consequences ever since.

he said in public what is said in private all the time. again i'll ask which players at nufc have nufc as their first choice and would have turned down any of the top 4 for us. ?

Well possibly Jonas, if word is to be believed, but your basic point is right. If a big four club comes in for a player, one can generally say that they will be the player's preference.

Owen wasn't any different - he wanted to join Liverpool, and made that clear. However, we ignored that publicly stated wish and made a bid that was so large that Real couldn't consider Liverpool's offer. We took advantage of Owen's desperation to leave Real in time for the World Cup.

Comparisons with other players in other situations is irrelevant. Owen's position was pretty unique. And when Owen made his statement, he was clearly asking us to back off and leave the field clear for Liverpool. To still go ahead was daft.

Well possibly Jonas, if word is to be believed, but your basic point is right. If a big four club comes in for a player, one can generally say that they will be the player's preference.

Owen wasn't any different - he wanted to join Liverpool, and made that clear. However, we ignored that publicly stated wish and made a bid that was so large that Real couldn't consider Liverpool's offer. We took advantage of Owen's desperation to leave Real in time for the World Cup.

Comparisons with other players in other situations is irrelevant. Owen's position was pretty unique. And when Owen made his statement, he was clearly asking us to back off and leave the field clear for Liverpool. To still go ahead was daft.

his position wasn't in the slightest bit unique. thousands of players find themselves in the position of not being a first choice at a club and the club more than willing to let go and the player wanting first team football for whatever reason.

as far as i'm aware jonas never turned down anyone for us let alone any of the top 4.

Guest rebel_yell12

I'm not usually one to agree with bobyule, but hey -- it's been an interesting week, and it's only Tuesday.

Owen didn't want to come to Newcastle.  He never lied about that (something I respected then and continued to respect, tbh, a man with a bit of honesty to him).  Even Souness admitted it right out in that first interview the day of Owen's reveal -- said something about Owen signing for Newcastle because he wanted back to England, with a small daughter and a pregnant wife he wanted to be closer to home.  Owen himself said he'd rather gone to Liverpool.  I think it's been sufficiently proven that Owen wanted back "home" to Liverpool, but couldn't finagle that deal.  Newcastle was his only option aside from remaining in Spain, where his wife was very unhappy -- which isn't much of an option at all, is it?  "If the wife ain't happy, ain't nobody happy" as one of my coworkers recently put it.

That said, I think it's a bit unfair to assume that Owen's feelings for Newcastle haven't changed in three years -- and a tough three years for him, no doubt.  From all recent evidence, I think Owen loves the fans, and was enjoying the club, at Newcastle United.  Is that enough to keep him here in current circumstances?  Probably not.  But I don't think Owen still feels the same way about Newcastle United as he did in Sept 2005.  In May, I think it was very promising (the club was playing well, on a good run of form, Owen was named to an England squad) but right now...the man's only got at most 8 more years in football, probably closer to 5-6.  He can't make a decision based on affection for the fans.  He has to think about his career & his family, and no doubt he and his family would love for him to move back to the Northwest so he can be at home more often.  He's not Shearer, whose heart was clearly in the black&white, and to expect him to be is unfair. 

If he shouldn't go to Liverpool (to sit the bench behind Torres), and can't/won't stay at Newcastle, I'd prefer to see him at Aston Villa.  I think it'd be a good move for both Owen and that club.  But honestly, I'd love to see Newcastle turn this into a decent season and Owen to stay.  Not expecting it, but still hoping that can happen.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/thegame_podcasts/article4869463.ece

I don't want to download that massive file (and I think they are all idiots to begin with) but can anyone who listens to that podcast briefly explain why they think Defoe is a better bet for Capello than Owen?  Do they have a genuine argument or is it more anti-Newcastle bollocks, before they go on to defend the situation at Spurs?

I think he will leave, and I think he will be justified in doing so.  I also think we will be even more f***ed when he goes.  Fingers crossed it won't be in January.

Guest Heneage

Because Defoe has 5 in 30 for England, and despite numerous chances and being around the same age as Owen clearly has more prospects in "Arry's Barmy Army".

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/thegame_podcasts/article4869463.ece

I don't want to download that massive file (and I think they are all idiots to begin with) but can anyone who listens to that podcast briefly explain why they think Defoe is a better bet for Capello than Owen?  Do they have a genuine argument or is it more anti-Newcastle bollocks, before they go on to defend the situation at Spurs?

I think he will leave, and I think he will be justified in doing so.  I also think we will be even more f***ed when he goes.  Fingers crossed it won't be in January.

I haven't listened to the file, but from what I've seen of Defoe is that he's a useful finisher and offers a lot of movement around the final third of the pitch.

Off to Man City at the end of the season, so he can be nearer to his horses.

Sorry to remind everyone again, but he didn't want to come here in the first place.

This grudge you have against Owen really is ridiculous.

With all the s*** we've been through this season, Owen is really the only one that can come out with his head held high.  Been a model pro and his leadership and commitment can't come into question.  Not really the behaviour of someone that "doesn't wanna be here."

Without Owen we'd be dead certs for going down, we are very lucky to have him.

The thing is, he's got alot to prove. He's desperate to get back in the England setup and he wants a big money bosman move next summer.

He's not going to get either by playing half hearted or sulking, while at a struggling team, that's become a laughing stock. That's why he has to put a good shift in.

• 2 weeks later...

SUNDAY MIRROR

Michael Owen is just 73 days away from ending his three-year Newcastle nightmare.

Where's he going to go though? I can't see any team wanting to pay him what we do a week. He's also recently shown he still gets the odd injury. Apart from Man City I can't see any other options (and who knows if they'd want him). He doesn't want to go abroad again. I can't see any of the 'big 4' wanting him.

SUNDAY MIRROR

Michael Owen is just 73 days away from ending his three-year Newcastle nightmare.

Where's he going to go though? I can't see any team wanting to pay him what we do a week. He's also recently shown he still gets the odd injury. Apart from Man City I can't see any other options (and who knows if they'd want him). He doesn't want to go abroad again. I can't see any of the 'big 4' wanting him.

Back when we signed him, I think the chances are pretty high that we offered considerably more in wages than Liverpool were prepared to offer. Had he the choice back then, its clear as daylight that he would have chosen Liverpool.

Hence, his thinking could well have been that he'd accept a reasonable wage at a CL club but would consider a mammoth wage at a mid table club were no CL clubs interested. On top of which, the bonuses paid out at a CL club must be pretty high every time they qualify for things or win competitions.

Added to which, it'll be important to him to get back into the international side, particularly with the World Cup at the end of next season. That's almost certainly another big "alternative" earner for him on top of the wages, e.g. the increased sponsorship deal he's likely to be able to negotiate because of the national/international exposure.

It's very difficult to see why Liverpool wouldn't want him on a free/cheap deal. The owners could do with a crowd pleasing signing.

We also signed Owen at a time where we'd only really had the one bad season in 4, so could have been seen as a blip, and had just spent a lot of money on other big-names like Boumsong, Emre, Parker & Luque.

Obviously with hindsight we can see it was rubbish, but I was more optimistic after that transfer window than I had been in a long time.

By the time next season begins Owen will be a few months from being 30 and he's on insane wages.  Its unfortunate that we may not be able to get any money for him, but its definitely not the end of the world if he goes at the end of the season IMO.

Back when we signed him, I think the chances are pretty high that we offered considerably more in wages than Liverpool were prepared to offer. Had he the choice back then, its clear as daylight that he would have chosen Liverpool.

Hence, his thinking could well have been that he'd accept a reasonable wage at a CL club but would consider a mammoth wage at a mid table club were no CL clubs interested. On top of which, the bonuses paid out at a CL club must be pretty high every time they qualify for things or win competitions.

Added to which, it'll be important to him to get back into the international side, particularly with the World Cup at the end of next season. That's almost certainly another big "alternative" earner for him on top of the wages, e.g. the increased sponsorship deal he's likely to be able to negotiate because of the national/international exposure.

It's very difficult to see why Liverpool wouldn't want him on a free/cheap deal. The owners could do with a crowd pleasing signing.

Yes but Benitez was said not to be that enthusiastic at the time to sign Owen. Liverpool currently have Torres, Keane, Kuyt and Babel (have I missed anyone?) as first team strikers. Owen won't want to be a bit part player. Who would he get ahead of? Babel probably but Kuyt tends to play out of position a lot. In a way I can see Capello's point about strikers who 'only' score goals not being enough. A lot of strikers these days are multi-skilled and do work for the team. Owen is a more old fashioned striker. The big 4 have what they need regarding strikers. I can't see any of them wanting to pay for the expensive luxury that Owen would be to them.

Obviously with hindsight we can see it was rubbish, but I was more optimistic after that transfer window than I had been in a long time.

I think he has scored enough goals to keep us in the Premiership to justify his signing, although like yourself I was full of hope after the signing of Owen. Any media bods reading this please don't get hope mixed up with expectation.

Guest shearer_united

SUNDAY MIRROR

Man Utd will be getting Owen for free. That's whats most probably going to happen, unfortunately.

SUNDAY MIRROR

Man Utd will be getting Owen for free. That's whats most probably going to happen, unfortunately.

I still can't see it. They have Rooney, Tevez (pending £30m purchase) and Berbatov (recent £30m purchase). Tevez isn't getting a game at the moment so I can't see Owen going there and getting one. Man U don't always play with an out and out striker. Rooney is on the wing some times which isn't something I could see Owen doing. I can't see Owen wanting to be a bit part player.

Guest shearer_united

SUNDAY MIRROR

I still can't see it. They have Rooney, Tevez (pending £30m purchase) and Berbatov (recent £30m purchase). Tevez isn't getting a game at the moment so I can't see Owen going there and getting one. Man U don't always play with an out and out striker. Rooney is on the wing some times which isn't something I could see Owen doing. I can't see Owen wanting to be a bit part player.

Yes I agree, Man Utd will have other important and useful players at their disposal. However, I think the reason they will get him is that he will be available to sign for free and it might also be Owen's chance to prove himself in a top-four team.

SUNDAY MIRROR

Nil chance.

Citeh & the Spuds in a battle for him in the winter window. Can see us getting close to double figures for him as well due to their desperation.

Guest shearer_united

SUNDAY MIRROR

Nil chance.

Citeh & the Spuds in a battle for him in the winter window. Can see us getting close to double figures for him as well due to their desperation.

One thing we know for sure it that it is very unlikely that he will sign a new contract with us. He's definitely leaving.

SUNDAY MIRROR

Nil chance.

One thing we know for sure it that it is very unlikely that he will sign a new contract with us. He's definitely leaving.

He always was.

Guest Sniffer

He's far too good a player for the Toon anyway. It might have been different if he wasn't surrounded by so many  players who are well below his standard.