Michael Owen

Guest Howaythetoon

he's finished... capello does right thing. until owen can perform regularly again he doesn't deserved being called up. england won't win anything if owen up front. That good news also for us that we'll not received crocked player each season.

he's finished... capello does right thing. until owen can perform regularly again he doesn't deserved being called up. england won't win anything if owen up front. That good news also for us that we'll not received crocked player each season.

bollocks, he's been our only consistent player this season. i cant believe he's not in the squad.

Owen should definitely be in, he's the guy you'd want to bring on if you needed to poach a goal.

Capello is full of contradictions though, it's weird. He picks mainly the same players (Bridge) as ever but then tries to be progressive by picking people like Jimmy Bullard.

The jury is still out on Capello. He's had one good game (or should that be Wallcot has?).

Owen not getting picked is good news for Newcastle in the short term but possibly bad news in the long term. If Owen leaves us at the end of the season I can't see Man U, Arsenal or Chelsea wanting him. Liverpool is possible but Benitez didn't want him last time. Owen won't go to Tottenham who won't pay his wages and are in the shit at the moment. Man City could pay the wages and I suppose Aston Villa may be an attractive option. Hopefully we'll pick up and we'll get new owners who are happy to splash the cash.

consistent for who? us or england? we talking about england called up here?

bollocks, he's been our only consistent player this season. i cant believe he's not in the squad.

Guest Stephen927

Except he's not getting his ego massaged by not being in the squad/playing for England. He'll be off in no time... sadly.

I think he'll be going too at the end of the season, but not because he isn't getting games for England.

Don't even blame Owen anymore for when he leaves on a free next summer.

Neither do I. If he'd rather be somewhere else he's best gone IMO.

To be honest I don't think many people could argue that Owen should stay, unless we turn it around dramatically before the end of the season - which looks unlikely bearing in mind the takeover stuff.

Off to Man City at the end of the season, so he can be nearer to his horses.

Sorry to remind everyone again, but he didn't want to come here in the first place.

who of the current squad did want to come here ?

every player goes to what he considers his best available option. would beye be here if man utd offered him 10% less ?

Guest Stephen927

When he signed, we were the best available party to him, mainly by bidding higher than what Liverpool would pay  :lol:

Now, it'll be interesting to see who will pay him as much as us in England. Can't see any of the top four being interested... Man City likely to go for someone better with the money available to them... possibly Everton but he would have to take a pay cut I'd imagine.

Be interesting next summer, unless we can manage to tie him to a new contract soon.

When he signed, we were the best available party to him, mainly by bidding higher than what Liverpool would pay  :lol:

Now, it'll be interesting to see who will pay him as much as us in England. Can't see any of the top four being interested... Man City likely to go for someone better with the money available to them... possibly Everton but he would have to take a pay cut I'd imagine.

Be interesting next summer, unless we can manage to tie him to a new contract soon.

he'll do the same and go to his best option. there is no reason to assume he'll not have to take a pay cut (my own belief is he most certainly will) wherever he goes,and that includes stopping here.

Sorry to remind everyone again, but he didn't want to come here in the first place.

when did he tell you that?

He didn't but correct though.

Its like saying a prostitute does it for the thrill and the fulfilment and not the money.

Owen is decent lay., but he's faking it.

when did he tell you that?

He didn't but correct though.

Its like saying a prostitute does it for the thrill and the fulfilment and not the money.

Owen is decent lay., but he's faking it.

they all are. how many players at nufc,spurs,everton,pompey, etc have these clubs as a first choice and are only there because man utd,arsenal,chelsea,liverpool weren't interested in them ?

This grudge you have against Owen really is ridiculous.

With all the shit we've been through this season, Owen is really the only one that can come out with his head held high.  Been a model pro and his leadership and commitment can't come into question.  Not really the behaviour of someone that "doesn't wanna be here."

Without Owen we'd be dead certs for going down, we are very lucky to have him.

I was referring to the fact that, a week before he signed, Owen made a public statement that he would only come to our club on a loan basis. Shepherd's response was to put in an inflated transfer offer to Real, which effectively made us the only option if he was to get first team football. Owen was put in a position where he either stayed in Real's reserves and his place in the World Cup squad was put in jeopardy, or he signed for us. Even then we had to offer him a stupid salary to make it palatable.

In those circumstances, 'he didn't want to join us in the first place' seems a fair and accurate comment.

Ignoring Owen's stated wishes and manipulating the situation in that way was possibly Shepherd's most stupid action as Chairman, and the competition for that accolade is fierce. We're been reaping the consequences ever since.

I was referring to the fact that, a week before he signed, Owen made a public statement that he would only come to our club on a loan basis. Shepherd's response was to put in an inflated transfer offer to Real, which effectively made us the only option if he was to get first team football. Owen was put in a position where he either stayed in Real's reserves and his place in the World Cup squad was put in jeopardy, or he signed for us. Even then we had to offer him a stupid salary to make it palatable.

In those circumstances, 'he didn't want to join us in the first place' seems a fair and accurate comment.

Ignoring Owen's stated wishes and manipulating the situation in that way was possibly Shepherd's most stupid action as Chairman, and the competition for that accolade is fierce. We're been reaping the consequences ever since.

he said in public what is said in private all the time. again i'll ask which players at nufc have nufc as their first choice and would have turned down any of the top 4 for us. ?