Coloccini wants out; Sevilla confirm interest

Guest Howaythetoon

Collocini is a quality footballer. You can see that straight away. He is competitive, athletic,  always available to receive the ball and has a composed touch on it. However if you are playing in a team bereft of confidence and under the cosh most of the time then even the best players will struggle.

When the opposition are ripping through the players in front of you and getting at you constantly they will often have a man extra or a man in space. With sluggish middle of the park men like Geremi and Butt, defenders in this team are going to be exposed.

also I think that to be selected for the modern day Argentina national team you have to be world class or you do not get in the squad.

Collocini is a quality footballer. You can see that straight away. He is competitive, athletic,  always available to receive the ball and has a composed touch on it. However if you are playing in a team bereft of confidence and under the cosh most of the time then even the best players will struggle.

When the opposition are ripping through the players in front of you and getting at you constantly they will often have a man extra or a man in space. With sluggish middle of the park men like Geremi and Butt, defenders in this team are going to be exposed.

also I think that to be selected for the modern day Argentina national team you have to be world class or you do not get in the squad.

bangerang

It is hard to spot a good defender in a team like ours that is in the bottom 3 & has let in 13 goals in 7 league games. Colo is off form that is why the now x-Argie boss has not started with him in the last two games & not put him when making subs for defenders.

Coloccini is quite easily the best defender we've had since Woodgate.

He'll probably be better than Woody as well because he can play more than 2 games in a row and I think he just has that extra touch of class.

Give Colo time....he'll come good. Infact, hes already had a few good performances already so most of this stick is undeserved i think.

Guest Jawesome

I can't believe people are doubting the ability of an established Argentinian international at our club.  Some people...

:lol:

I can't believe people are doubting the ability of an established Argentinian international at our club.  Some people...

Well Bassedas was capped 26 times and a regular in the mid 90`s with the Argentina national squad ;) But I agree about Colo, can`t believe some people are doubting him.....really think he`ll turn out to be a top buy and prove the doubters wrong once we have some stability on and off the field

Well Bassedas was capped 26 times and a regular in the mid 90`s with the Argentina national squad ;) But I agree about Colo, can`t believe some people are doubting him.....really think he`ll turn out to be a top buy and prove the doubters wrong once we have some stability on and off the field

There's a big difference between being a current international and a past international though.  Bassedas hadn't played for Argentina for a full year before he signed for us.

There's a big difference between being a current international and a past international though.  Bassedas hadn't played for Argentina for a full year before he signed for us.

On top of which, there's also a big difference between a fringe international player and a first teamer.

E.g. Alan Smith, who has nearly 20 caps for England and was starting up front for a few games in the national first team only last season. Doesn't mean he was ever a regular or good enough to be one.

Added to this, it was stated that Bassedas picked up the majority of those caps in the Olympics and under 23 games, but more imrportantly, im pretty sure Argentina (and Brazil) used to have plenty of home international games where few or no European based players are selected, i.e. domestic ones only. So there is/was also a difference between an Argentinian international based in Argentina, and an Argentinian international based in Europe (i.e. in many cases, the former is only really used in the less important fixtures, hence why lesser calibre players might regularly make the squad or the team for that type of fixture).

Guest JamesyJazz

Not bothered ma arse to read the majority of replies to the Colcoccini question,but I reckon he's a class defender who's only going to get better as he adjusts to the Premiership style of football.Put him in a Manure shirt and the media would be crackin one offa the wrist everytime they saw him play!

Guest Stephen927

We'll see the best of Coloccini in a confident, attacking side who push right up the pitch.

Stick most defenders into our back line at the moment, and they'll struggle.

Guest Washington_Mag

Not performing like a £10m CB tbh. I panic whenever someone runs at him and he's poor in the air. Neat and tidy on the deck like but he rarely gets the time to play football in this league like today when he tried to, only to lose it before bringing down his man for a free-kick to them. Goes missing from the centre a lot too. I don't want to be harsh because he's a new player and no-one is playing well for us really but so far he looks quite average to me.

Fuck me, he is playing in a team where the ten other players aren't performing and we don't have a permanent manager and you single him out ?

Not performing like a £10m CB tbh. I panic whenever someone runs at him and he's poor in the air. Neat and tidy on the deck like but he rarely gets the time to play football in this league like today when he tried to, only to lose it before bringing down his man for a free-kick to them. Goes missing from the centre a lot too. I don't want to be harsh because he's a new player and no-one is playing well for us really but so far he looks quite average to me.

Couldn't agree less there, he looks particularly good one on one, just waits and steps in to take the ball away.  Looks like a top central defender in a team in disarray to me.

Couldn't agree less there, he looks particularly good one on one, just waits and steps in to take the ball away.  Looks like a top central defender in a team in disarray to me.

Think I posted a similar response to this a while ago. Winning one on ones appears to be one of his real strengths. I cant recall seeing many defenders that win one on ones to the extent he does.

Think I posted a similar response to this a while ago. Winning one on ones appears to be one of his real strengths. I cant recall seeing many defenders that win one on ones to the extent he does.

He tends to mark the striker very tightly, which can cause problems if there are runners from midfield (Fellaini goal). But I agree, colo is strong on 1 v 1.