The Newcastle United Transfer Thread: D-Day [Spoiler: Not Much Happens]

LooneyToonArmy

We won't sign anyone

i'll bet we do.........may not be any good,may well be worse thatn what we already have but i'll bet we do sign someone.

Agree with that 100%.

We will sign some players and I also think we'll lose a few too. How much is spent (net) is the key.

Christian Poulsen, Leighton Baines, Glen Johnson, Jermain Defoe and Denilson on loan.

No?

With Yobo injured short term and Valente out for the season I can't see us selling Baines now.

I hope not anyway, good little player.

We won't sign anyone

i'll bet we do.........may not be any good,may well be worse thatn what we already have but i'll bet we do sign someone.

Agree with that 100%.

We will sign some players and I also think we'll lose a few too. How much is spent (net) is the key.

Not sure I agree with that mate.

Surely the quality of the players is the only important thing, if we get in some good players on frees or at bargain prices, then I don't see how that can be worse than paying a huge amount of money for one decent player or blowing a huge wedge on a total trophy signing. What if we sold someone for ridiculous money (eg Owen to Citeh) and got in 5 or 6 good quality replacements for less, our net spend could even be a negative figure, but that doesn't mean the squad wouldn't have improved. Improving the quality of the squad is the only important aim, how much it costs is irrelevant. Some of our best players have cost very little and many of our worst have cost loads.

We won't sign anyone

Agree with that 100%.

Not sure I agree with that mate.

Surely the quality of the players is the only important thing, if we get in some good players on frees or at bargain prices, then I don't see how that can be worse than paying a huge amount of money for one decent player or blowing a huge wedge on a total trophy signing. What if we sold someone for ridiculous money (eg Owen to Citeh) and got in 5 or 6 good quality replacements for less, our net spend could even be a negative figure, but that doesn't mean the squad wouldn't have improved. Improving the quality of the squad is the only important aim, how much it costs is irrelevant. Some of our best players have cost very little and many of our worst have cost loads.

That's a fair point actually.  :thup:

I just sort of assumed the players I'd like us to sign are the very players that the selling club don't want to lose and would therefore cost a bit more than I'd like us to pay. Clubs doing well hate losing the players that make them tick so you tend to pay more than market value for them.

We'll just have to wait and see I suppose. 

http://www.laprensahn.com/index.php/Ediciones/2008/12/30/Noticias/Eusebio-elogia-a-Suazo

The Honduran press saying that the Italian press (great sources :lol:), are linking Newcastle & Inter with a swap deal between Owen & Suazo.

not impossible but i'd be very surprised if owen went to play abroad.

Don't discount the Mourinho factor.

Also Owen would thrive most in the Italian league I believe, and Capello would love it too.

Suazo wasn't so bad before he went to Inter. Not sure what he is like now tbh.

I bet somewhere in Italy there's people saying...

Owen wasn't so bad before he went to Newcastle. Not sure what he is like now mamma-mia.

Not saying he is a shit player by any means, just not seen or heard much of him.

I reckon we should be looking to pick up some players from Manchester City if they do bring in a few players in January. There might be some decent players who would want out and Citeh might be willing to let some go at a reasonable price. Elano might not be a bad signing. I noticed that the Guardian had us possibly linked with him (for what that's worth...which is nothing). I'm sure there are others who should be on our radar. I'd be happier with some halfway skilled players from the premiership than players from the championship.

I reckon we should be looking to pick up some players from Manchester City if they do bring in a few players in January. There might be some decent players who would want out and Citeh might be willing to let some go at a reasonable price. Elano might not be a bad signing. I noticed that the Guardian had us possibly linked with him (for what that's worth...which is nothing). I'm sure there are others who should be on our radar. I'd be happier with some halfway skilled players from the premiership than players from the championship.

michael johnson surely?  lost his way and form after some fitness trouble, ireland in his way now on good form...

surely worth a punt for our CM?

Problem is that everyone knows that Man City will be buying/selling a lot in January. We'll face a lot of competition for the likes of Elano or Johnson and competition for players isn't something we can handle at the moment I"m afraid.

Problem is that everyone knows that Man City will be buying/selling a lot in January. We'll face a lot of competition for the likes of Elano or Johnson and competition for players isn't something we can handle at the moment I"m afraid.

yeah but it's the oldest story in the book man, anyone worth having is gonna be wanted by others, what're we supposed to do?  give up before we start (well, we did against liverpool i suppose ;))

yeah but it's the oldest story in the book man, anyone worth having is gonna be wanted by others, what're we supposed to do?  give up before we start (well, we did against liverpool i suppose ;))

Find more Bassongs.

More difficult than it sounds but it's our best option.