FA rescind Beye red card

Dave

Don't see what all the fuss about Poll is. He didn't actually say anything wrong, as he spoke about general rules and not about the particular incident - although I see it was only to protect Styles.

His two arguments was 1. It can be a free kick even if the player gets the ball first (wich is correct), and 2. -If- it was a freekick, he has to give the player a red card for taking a way a goalscoring oportunity(also correct).

Anyway, I'm just glad we have Beye ready for the mackems.

Don't see what the fuss is about making a fuss tbh. My two arguments are:

1) Poll is a cunt

2) So is Styles

This is a good decision from FA/Styles.

His one view during the game told him that it was a DOGSO foul and deserved a Red.  He can then review the replay and determine that there was additional information (i.e. a clearer view) that he didn't have during the game. Fix what can be fixed, and don't compound a bad decision making it even worse.

This is the sort of appeal that should be over turned unlike the John Terry rugby tackle (now that was a bad decision by the FA)

It can be a free kick even if the player gets the ball first

no it can't

Actually it can.....two players coming in from opposite sides to challenge for a 50-50 ball.  Player A slides in studs up, coming in over the top of the ball (making contact with the ball first) and then clattering into the opposition mid-shin with his studs.  Got the ball first.....still no foul?

The ball-first scenario is meant to differentiate where a player wins the ball (eg slide tack,e from the side) and the other player then falls over him due to their momentum. No foul there.

Guest nufc_kev

no it can't

Yes it can. A tackle with "excessive force" is deemed a foul, even if the ball is won.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

can it

no it can't

yes it can.

can it?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1080160/Styles-brink-quitting-FA-rescind-red-card-Beye.html?ITO=1490

Styles on the brink of quitting after FA rescind red card for Beye

By Colin Young Last updated at 11:48 PM on 23rd October 2008

Controversial referee Rob Styles has been pushed to the brink of quitting as a Barclays Premier League referee after the FA on Thursday overturned Habib Beye's red card at St James' Park on Monday night.

The Newcastle defender was dismissed for a professional foul on Manchester City's Robinho and Styles, one of the League's most experienced officials, refused to rescind the red card despite a plea by Newcastle interim manager Joe Kinnear.

But Newcastle appealed to the FA disciplinary committee who backed the Newcastle full back and he is free to play in Saturday's derby at Sunderland.

A friend of Styles said: 'Not only is Rob a top referee but in order to officiate at the top you need a great deal of resolve. He has had good support from his family and friends and that is what is keeping him in the game at the moment.

'But nobody would be surprised if that situation was to change because despite his love for the game there is only so much he can take.'

Styles received hate mail as a result of the Robinho incident and a similar one at Old Trafford last month in which he wrongly awarded a penalty against Bolton and later apologised.

He will be the fourth official for Sunday's game between Chelsea and Liverpool and will not take charge of a top-flight match this weekend.

He was at a meeting of fellow referees in Warwick on Tuesday after rejecting Kinnear's appeal and he was given the support of other officials who said they would have made the same call. However, his management and decision-making in the match was criticised by the assessor.

Although Styles finds himself in emotional turmoil after the FA's decision, it has delighted Kinnear. The Newcastle manager, who confirmed captain Michael Owen is out of the 140th Tyne-Wear derby with a groin strain, said: 'That is one problem out of the way. That is fantastic news. I would have thought that is a victory for common sense and that is what I said to the referee.

'I did not lose my head with him. I said: "You will be surprised when you see the replay." One thing I thought at the time was that he was in a horrible position to call it as he did. Freeze the frame and he has two players in his view and he is craning his neck from behind to see it.

'There were two issues. The tackle, which was made just outside the box and carried into the box, and it was a long way to make the call a penalty.'

Beye said: 'It was a bad decision but I can understand because he is human and when you are human you make mistakes. I got the ball and I could not believe it when he gave the penalty and the red card. You know as a defender when you have made the tackle and when I made that tackle I was 100 per cent confident I got the ball.

'I am glad I can play against Sunderland because games like this are why you are a footballer.'

He could have avoided all of this furore by simply running over to his linesman, who didn't give it, and asking his opinion. But no, the arrogant wanker gave the pen and sent Beye off  - thus changing the course of the game. He's in charge of the game and he carries the can for making the mistake.