Bentley's goal = not that good.

Neil

If Martins had done that, there'd have been a jizzfest on here.

And rightly so, imo, because it was brilliant.

Oba's one against Liverpool last year would have shat on Bentley's if it went in. Still, credit to Bentley it was a perfect shot. Regardless of what you say about Almunia, it would have been a great save to keep it out.

Anyone who thinks that it wasn't that good and that Almunia should have done better need to have a word with themselves.

That clown that Spuds have in goal on the other hand...............

True.  Great goal and Almunia was in the right position and couldn't have been expected to do any more IMO.

Guest Stephen927

Was a tremendous effort. Keeper should have done more though but kudos for his technique and being able to spot that Almunia was a little bit in no mans land.

I am baffled so many people are saying Almunia was at fault for that. The ball was 40 odd yards out, he was maybe 4 or 5 yards in front of goal and the ball was controlled by Bentley in the air without ever touching the ground. How could he have anticipated what was about to come his way? One second a ball is being headed/chested (?) upwards in the air towards a player who is not even facing goalward and miles away from his goal, the next it is flying over his head at considerable speed and with a strange curve on it..

I thought Modric's shot that hit the post was technically a better shot.

Still a great goal though, my first impression when I saw it was that Almunia should have got it even from his position but when the replay was shown it was to the side of him and I dont think he'd have been able to fist it. Should have been better positioned to start with.

I am baffled so many people are saying Almunia was at fault for that. The ball was 40 odd yards out, he was maybe 4 or 5 yards in front of goal and the ball was controlled by Bentley in the air without ever touching the ground. How could he have anticipated what was about to come his way? One second a ball is being headed/chested (?) upwards in the air towards a player who is not even facing goalward and miles away from his goal, the next it is flying over his head at considerable speed and with a strange curve on it..

reading the first line makes the opposite case to be honest

I agree to an extent. It was a fantastic effort but the keeper could of done better. He had a serious case of the old crisp packet hands. It was better than say Alonso's against ourselves but it wasn't as good as Taylor's efforts or Drogba's volley against Everton, and that didn't even manage it into goal of the season.

reading the first line makes the opposite case to be honest

Heh?

the ball didnt touch the ground for ages, first silvestre (i think) clears it, modric kicks it up in the air around the centre circle, jenas chests it, bentley controls it in the air then volleys from 40 yards. agree with unbelievable about almunia, brilliant goal tbh.

My favourite moment from last night was Berbatov's bit of skill.

Total and utter class that was. Nothing beats a bit of skill right on the touchline, not just keeping it in but beating the man too. Remember Bellamy's backhell nutmeg at Goodison just before Gravesen's assault on Bernard? Sumptuous.

Guest firetotheworks

I dont see what else there is other than the haircut tbh. When he was at Blackburn everyone was raving about him, now he's went to a bigger club and has a new haircut hes a prick. Is that all it is?