Sunderland appoint Steve 'I bleed black and white' Bruce as new manager

cp40

f***ing hell. I didnt realise he resigned straight away today

I thought it was pretty dignified of him. Kept them up (despite losing), but realised he's not good enough for them in the long run so stood down.

Agreed. Decent bloke.

Joe Kinnear take note ;)

Fucking hell. I didnt realise he resigned straight away today

He looked close to bubbling on Sky like.

That interview was extremely awkward. Actually cheered me up a notch after our horror show at how unprofessional it was.

Unfortunately IF Sunderland get this appointment right (and Sbragia had to go) then they could really push on. :undecided:

Good youth set-up, plenty of saleable assets, fresh investment forthcoming, fairly decent squad, big support... urgh. A quality manager in there and they could kick-on big style.

Let's hope they fuck it up again... can't see it though myself. :-[

I thought it was pretty dignified of him. Kept them up (despite losing), but realised he's not good enough for them in the long run so stood down.

Agreed. Decent bloke.

Glenn Roeder take note ;)

FYP.

He looked close to bubbling on Sky like.

That interview was extremely awkward. Actually cheered me up a notch after our horror show at how unprofessional it was.

Unfortunately IF Sunderland get this appointment right (and Sbragia had to go) then they could really push on. :undecided:

Good youth set-up, plenty of saleable assets, fresh investment forthcoming, fairly decent squad, big support... urgh. A quality manager in there and they could kick-on big style.

Let's hope they f*** it up again... can't see it though myself. :-[

I'm not convinced about the saleable assets bit, but hoped they would have stuck with Sbrigia. As the north east priemer team now, Sunderland will have more focus on them than they have had in the past, they've got to get the appointment right, unfortunately I have a sneaky feeling they will :(

They have a huge squad, many of whom they'll be able to shift this summer to clear a massive hole in the wage-bill... and with their backing they won't be too worried about how much they get in for said players, they'll just want them off the books.

As well as this, the likes of Jones (if he still wants to go) will go for big, big money if they do agree to a sale. You've just got to hope whoever does come in spunks all the money away.

They should get Sven, IMO, or someone similar as he's a bit unstable at the best of times and seems to bobble around between jobs. An experienced foreign manager with a good knowledge of the game and the reputation to attract big players to them. Sickening really when you consider what we'll be doing. Let's just hope they do go for a Curbishley or a Strachan...

Strachan's left Celtic

Yes, I hear Strachan is nailed on for a certain vacancy at a major football club in the north-east, but it's probably not the one you're thinking of, given you've posted that news in this thread.

:shifty:

Guest johnson293

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5349437,00.html

Bruce linked with Black Cats

Wigan boss favourite for Sunderland post

Last updated: 26th May 2009

Steve Bruce has emerged as the odds-on favourite with leading bookmaker Sky Bet to be named as the new manager of Sunderland.

Wigan boss Bruce has earned a reputation as one of the most talented English managers in the Premier League after his work with the Latics and previously at Birmingham.

The former Manchester United defender, who moved to the JJB Stadium from St Andrews in November 2007, guided the club to an 11th place finish in the Premier League this season.

Sunderland are in the market for a new manager following Ricky Sbragia's announcement that he was standing down after guiding the Black Cats to Premier League safety despite a final day defeat by Chelsea.

Bruce started his touchline career at Sheffield United before moving on to Huddersfield with an initial eight-game spell at Wigan followed by roles with Crystal Palace and then Birmingham.

Short investment

Sky Bet make Bruce the 8/13 odds-on favourite to be appointed by the Wearside outfit, with former Celtic boss Gordon Strachan the only other serious contender in the reckoning at 2/1.

Northumberland-born Bruce is a self-confessed supporter of Sunderland's bitter rivals Newcastle and has been linked with the St James' Park hot-seat in the past.

But with the Magpies now in the Championship and keen to secure Alan Shearer's services on a long-term contract, that role holds less appeal.

Chairman Niall Quinn admitted after Sbragia's decision to stand down that they were looking to appoint a big-name manager, with American investor Ellis Short expected to provide substantial transfer funds once his prospective takeover is completed.

Wigan supremo Dave Whelan has previously mentioned Bruce as a future Manchester United or England manager and it remains to be seen what his opinion would be should his manager make the move to the Stadium of Light.

the mackems I know are kicking off that they've been linked with him because he's a mag.

Good appointment imo.  Found Valencia and Palacios while in charge of what in effect is a selling club, might be able to make a decent go of it with money behind him.

Valencia was found and signed by Paul Jewell.

Palacios was found by Wenger and was with training with Arsenal but was then suggested to Bruce after he went grovelling to Wenger for players.

the mackems I know are kicking off that they've been linked with him because he's a mag.

Good appointment imo.  Found Valencia and Palacios while in charge of what in effect is a selling club, might be able to make a decent go of it with money behind him.

Valencia was found and signed by Paul Jewell.

Palacios was found by Wenger and was with training with Arsenal but was then suggested to Bruce after he went grovelling to Wenger for players.

my bad.

Guest firetotheworks

Feel ever so slightly sorry for Bruce. He was touting himself up to be our next manager, and then the other Geordie came in.

Would have been good for us I think, I just cant see him at Sunderland tbh. Basing that on nothing though.

Five Live reporting that Steve Bruce is going to the Mackems.  Wigan are refusing to confirm it but 5L say they are at the stage of sorting out the compensation.

Guess he has given up on the Newcastle job now.

Guest johnson293

Quite the Newcastle fan

Could be going as an 'inside man' - make sure they go down next season?

......Nah, just typical Steve Bruce TBH!

Guest johnson293

So Niall Quinn going for another 'top manager' then, much like what he promised when he took over.... then appointed Roy Keane!

How stupid does Whelan look by the way?

All the noise about Steve Bruce only leaving Wigan for Man U and how he was bigger than Newcastle etc etc.

Now he's off to flipping Sunderland.

Hell of a humble pie that.

Sunderland fans must feel at least a little sick about this too. Yeah he's a good manager but how sickening it must be to have a Geordie running their team. No matter how well they do it will always have been down to a Geordie. Ha!

Bruce is pathetic by the way. So so pathetic ...

Guest Phil K

The plastic geordie at Stadium of Sh*te ?

As an agent provocatuer ?

Just like Lawrie Mac did in the mid - 80's ?

I agree with the comment about Sbragia - nice bloke

Even more with the Kinnear should follow his example and resign.

I'm sure the Mackems will moan about having another "Geordie bastard" at their club like they did with Clark and Chopra. Hopefully Bruce will follow in the footsteps of Lawrie MAKEMENEMY. I wonder who N'Zogbia's new manager will be?

fyp