Jose Enrique out for at least three weeks with hamstring injury

Guest BooBoo

Guest optimistic nit

This is the exact sort of shite he doesn't need. You wonder why we get called a banana republic. How do you EVER expect our back four to gain a sense of unity and operating together if we say "Well hes been crap change" he has hardly had a steady run of games, with most fans having the cheek to call him shite when we've had players who have been far worse and got away with it. Beye Enrique Taylor Colocinni is our best back four for now.

So instead of bitching and calling people "Abominations." Why not get behind a player that is obviously struggling more than likely due to the fact every manager and fan hes come across has had no faith in him.

I take into account your opinion but seriously when has the lad ever looked half decent? He's an antrocious weak link who is dreadfully short of confidence, barely crosses the half way line and who is a shocking passer of the ball. What evidence can you provide to tell me that he's an asset to the side?

he has looked good in some games tbh. shocking in others mind.

Guest Howaythetoon

It doesn't help being in the side one week then out the next on a regular basis. I wouldn't write him off just yet although that was a very very poor performance which warrented his removal well in advance of when it arrived, if anything just to take him out of the firing line. Abysmal isn't the word. Mind, several others ran him close for the award.

I love the idea that he is trying so hard to play the killer ball every time he has it, that means he can't get 10 yard balls to a team mate right.

Is the ability to hit what two or three great balls since he came worth the dozens of passes he misses virtually every game?

I defended him last year to people because I thought there was some potential and I still think he isn't a write-off as a defender but in a team which is over-staffed with atrocious passers which I consider to be a professional crime he's one of the worst culprits and I'd replace him in an instant.

I like Enrique and I think he's going to be a canny player but he's been poor for a while now. He shows the odd sign of being an excellent full-back and he's often solid but that's often forgotten when your own fans are looking for, and pay more attention to, the sub-standard performances.

The lad need support and encouragement. I can't see any benefit to getting on his back and I'm baffled as to why it happens.

I like Enrique and I think he's going to be a canny player but he's been poor for a while now. He shows the odd sign of being an excellent full-back and he's often solid but that's often forgotten when your own fans are looking for, and pay more attention to, the sub-standard performances.

The lad need support and encouragement. I can't see any benefit to getting on his back and I'm baffled as to why it happens.

This.

I don't agree with and have never booed a Newcastle player but professional, premiership footballers who cannot pass to a team mate at a consistent level over some time do not need encouragement - they need replacing.

I don't agree with and have never booed a Newcastle player but professional, premiership footballers who cannot pass to a team mate at a consistent level over some time do not need encouragement - they need replacing.

That's fair enough. I'd agree with what you've written there.

He's certainly not the finished article but neither was Vidic when he first came. Young lads from different countries/cultures need time to settle into the Premier League and they need a bit of patience.

Not having a pop by the way, just saying he's worth persevering with for the time being.

The shortcomings with Enrique's passing are largely due to where he is on the pitch. He gets the ball on half way, here are his options:

1) Pass to the left winger - if this is Duff, he will not be on the left wing. If this is Jonas, he is heavily marked. Problems.

2) Pass to a centre midfielder - Butt and Guthrie playing within 5 yards of each other, possibly further back than where we have the ball. See the "lack of movement" thread.

3) Pass back to the centre halves - Will draw groans for being negative

4) Hump it into the box - playing the percentages will obviously result in a degree of success/unsuccessful passes.

And of course there are some occasions when he just passes the ball straight out of play, which is unforgivable

I don't think he is awful at all, a player devoid of confidence and somewhat limited in certain areas.  Certainly, I hoped better for 6m and there is a reason why different managers don't seem to rate him. For me his lack of real pace is the biggest problem for this league.

Guest firetotheworks

This thread is sick. In the literal sense. An abomination of a footballer ay? So what was he when he was one of our best players against Villa then? Acting as a very good footballer or something. Have a word man! He was shit the other day, and not too good against Fulham, but no one was particularly good. Even Jonas is off form a bit.

Believe me, i offer plenty of encouragement at Enrique and the rest of the players at the match. It hacks me off no end to hear players being booed or heckled at during the game. But what purpose does this site serve, if not to provide a place to let rip at the shocking performances of our feeble left back and co.

Can anyone really see him coming good? its not just the pace of the Premiership thats catching him out, I just do not see him as a fullback, he would never make a CB, defensive midfielder? no not really, left winger nope.

As much as I hate Zoggy at LB, we have to try it until Taylor is back and Bassong can go to LB.

Can anyone really see him coming good? its not just the pace of the Premiership thats catching him out, I just do not see him as a fullback, he would never make a CB, defensive midfielder? no not really, left winger nope.

As much as I hate Zoggy at LB, we have to try it until Taylor is back and Bassong can go to LB.

last season he was defensivly very good and i hoped his confidence and a bit more experience would really push him on this year.....not as yet though!

looks like he wants to be away to be honest.

Have to say that he was vastly better on Saturday than last weeks horror show. Still some needless give aways but his defending was infinitely superior and he worked very hard. More please.

It's laughable that we put out midfields that get totally over-run by every other side in the division yet left back is considered a major problem. He needs to overlap more at home, but other than that Enrique's a solid enough defender and we have other areas which need looking at more urgently if you ask me.