Jose Enrique out for at least three weeks with hamstring injury

Guest BooBoo

Joe Kinnear's frustration could be seen and heard yesterday. As his Newcastle United side seemed destined to squander another lead and draw a third consecutive home match, Kinnear's edginess was visible as he hopped from foot to foot in anguish. It was also audible in the expletive directed at Jose Enrique when he took the Spanish left-back off in the 88th minute. Kinnear did not know then that this was the game's defining moment.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/duff-brings-newcastle-perfect-gift-1207417.html

Wtf?  The lads obviously a confidence player,  and if thats true,  I am fucking annoyed at Kinnear after Jose hardly had a shocker today.

Might have helped their story if they mentioned what Kinnear actually said.

He might have said "Fucking great game Jose"

Joe Kinnear's frustration could be seen and heard yesterday. As his Newcastle United side seemed destined to squander another lead and draw a third consecutive home match, Kinnear's edginess was visible as he hopped from foot to foot in anguish. It was also audible in the expletive directed at Jose Enrique when he took the Spanish left-back off in the 88th minute. Kinnear did not know then that this was the game's defining moment.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/duff-brings-newcastle-perfect-gift-1207417.html

Wtf?  The lads obviously a confidence player,  and if thats true,  I am fucking annoyed at Kinnear after Jose hardly had a shocker today.

Clearly bollocks.

You don't wait till the 88th minute to decide that a player's having a shitter.  It was far more likely that it was Kinnear using a late sub to run down the clock that worked a hell of lot better than anyone could have expected.

Anyone trying to claim anything else is just shit stirring.

Aaron Lennon was Jose Enriques Bitch today, there was only a couple of times he had a problem with Lennon.

those couple of times being the first half and the second half

twice to be exact....don't make it out as if he was raped througout both halves. He won more one on one battles than he lost against Lennon and not many fullbacks can claim that

Its very odd that all through Enrique's time here the national press seem to constantly berate him.  No matter how well he plays, they always talk absolute shit about him (included in the biggest flops of the season list from one paper and constantly referred to as the happless Spaniard by another).  It almost seems deliberate when you see an article like that from the independent.  I mean nobody with half a brain could actually believe that a player being brought off in the 88th minute (especially when its a defender for a attacker) is being taken off because they'd had a terrible game.

Class player who is finally finding his feet after a run in the side.

Kinnear would be mental to sell him.

This ; the Press probably know Benitez wants him,which is why they are trying to get NUFC to sell him - can't have any decent players at anywhere but Top 4, you know....!!

thought he was largely poor yesterday, lennon did him in the first few minutes and knew he had the beating of him...it was only other people covering him and crowding lennon out that saved him from being really shown up

i like enrique but it was a pace/trickery thing yesterday, he couldn't cope with the combination

lucky lennon's end product is so erratic really

thought he was largely poor yesterday, lennon did him in the first few minutes and knew he had the beating of him...it was only other people covering him and crowding lennon out that saved him from being really shown up

i like enrique but it was a pace/trickery thing yesterday, he couldn't cope with the combination

You have got to be kidding me or we were watching two very different games. Lennon beat him twice and tried at least 6-7 times with both speed and trickery, that's good enough for me. If you are looking for a LB that keeps Lennon completely quiet, then you're looking for a top notch LB in the mold of Ashley Cole or a younger Maldini and we all know how much they cost.

you gotta think it in a different way.  it's enrique's effort that restricted lennon from deliver any decent end product.

at the end of the day, i hope you can understand, it's midfielder who should make the tackle, not the defenders, because if the defenders fail to take away the ball no one can cover them.

You are right that lennon was crowded many times but it's also because enrique has coped with lennon's pace very well, delaying his play and let the others come back to crowd him.

it's definitely the best option enrique should choose, instead of making risky tackle --- unless you are a world class left back.  honestly even ashley cole and maldini won't do that too.

You have got to be kidding me or we were watching two very different games. Lennon beat him twice and tried at least 6-7 times with both speed and trickery, that's good enough for me. If you are looking for a LB that keeps Lennon completely quiet, then you're looking for a top notch LB in the mold of Ashley Cole or a younger Maldini and we all know how much they cost.

don't know like, the bit where he "fell" on lennon as he was away, also when he was blatantly pulling his shirt and the ref let it go...plus the times he was beat tell me what i needed to know, saying that he could have been covered better by charlie, granted

he did better by the end of the game but i thought he struggled to keep up for a lot of it...still he never gave up & you could say ended up on top i suppose

first time i've seen him up against real pace and thought he found it hard

Matter of expectations really. He covered Lennon pretty effectively for most of the game except for two instances in which Lennon got past him.

You could see that as failing to mark him properly him on two separate occasions, both of which could have cost us dearly.

You could also see that as having contained him well enough most of the time.

Considering that Lennon is probably one of the best in the Premiership at skinning his man (thank God his end product is so poor,) I'm willing to cut Jose some slack and go with the latter.

Matter of expectations really. He covered Lennon pretty effectively for most of the game except for two instances in which Lennon got past him.

You could see that as failing to mark him properly him on two separate occasions, both of which could have cost us dearly.

You could also see that as having contained him well enough most of the time.

Considering that Lennon is probably one of the best in the Premiership at skinning his man (thank God his end product is so poor,) I'm willing to cut Jose some slack and go with the latter.

he dropped him a lot more than the two occasions everyone is referring to - difference was lennon ran it blind alleys most times so it was forgotten but granted, he managed to block a lot by hook or by crook i guess

I didn't know whether to give Enrique a 4 or an 8 for how he handled Lennon yesterday. My only real conclusion at this stage is that Enrique is bloody quick for a full back, particulalry one who doesn't look like he's going to have pace.

MOTD made it look like Lennon had Enrique's pants down yesterday. Lee Dixon had clearly only seen those highlights as well but tried to make out he watched the whole game by saying Lennon was getting the better of him all game, when in fact Enrique had the legs on Lennon most of the time, bar one attack at the beginning and one at the end.

MOTD made it look like Lennon had Enrique's pants down yesterday. Lee Dixon had clearly only seen those highlights as well but tried to make out he watched the whole game by saying Lennon was getting the better of him all game, when in fact Enrique had the legs on Lennon most of the time, bar one attack at the beginning and one at the end.

again, you're referring to the 2 times it was obvious lennon had skinned enrique...he did him a lot more than 2 times in the game, he just didn't do anything with it once he'd beat him

there's a difference - i don't think anyone can honestly say enrique had the edge in that confrontation yesterday

again, you're referring to the 2 times it was obvious lennon had skinned enrique...he did him a lot more than 2 times in the game, he just didn't do anything with it once he'd beat him

there's a difference - i don't think anyone can honestly say enrique had the edge in that confrontation yesterday

I would say he did, even the commentators mentioned how frustrated Lennon was getting at Enrique shutting him out.

Also, surely Lennon not doing anything with the ball on other occasions is due to the defender forcing his position? You can't take the ball off of the attacker every time, sometimes you need to track them and shut them out.

That's the way I see it anyway.

Considering Enrique had to spend the majority of the match with a dodgy yellow card hanging over him and had to be careful, he done very well.

Its so easy to get booked when playing against a tricky player with pace.

You mean "did" very well  :shifty:

Considering Enrique had to spend the majority of the match with a dodgy yellow card hanging over him and had to be careful, he done very well.

Its so easy to get booked when playing against a tricky player with pace.

You mean "did" very well  :shifty:

do some work

I would say he did, even the commentators mentioned how frustrated Lennon was getting at Enrique shutting him out.

Also, surely Lennon not doing anything with the ball on other occasions is due to the defender forcing his position? You can't take the ball off of the attacker every time, sometimes you need to track them and shut them out.

That's the way I see it anyway.

true we see things different ways, i play LB and the first thing you do is not allow an attacker to beat you and create space for the cross...enrique allowed that to happen a number of times but to his credit recovered quite often due to a combination of lennon's dalliance and his own persistence

i'm a fan of the lad but i honestly don't think he was great yesterday

JOE Kinnear has called on Spanish defender Jose Enrique to continue his good form during United's forthcoming Christmas double-header.

The 22-year-old, who has started the last nine matches for the Magpies, was up against lightening-quick wideman Aaron Lennon during Sunday's 2-1 victory over Spurs.

And the former Villarreal left-back was more than a match for his spring-heeled opponent despite having the threat of a red card hanging over him for the majority of the afternoon following a 10th-minute booking.

That solid display comes after another fine outing at Portsmouth seven days previous in which he laid on the second for Oba Martins during the 3-0 success.

And Toon chief Joe is hoping to see more of the same from Enrique with Wigan and Liverpool next up for the Geordies.

"The point is that Jose's working hard on his game," said Kinnear.

"We've got to get more from him, week in, week out.

"At times, he had the pace to keep up with Lennon, and he's never an easy player to play against.

"Lennon's very direct, and it was mainly him who was whipping the crosses in, but Jose did very well against him."

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1497726,00.html

I don't disagree with the week-in, week-out bit - Enrique definitely needs to show more consistency if anything. I'm glad Kinnear's giving him a decent crack of the whip, in spite of his ridiculous earlier comments about him.