Jose Enrique out for at least three weeks with hamstring injury

Guest BooBoo

I've always thought he was a very good left back and a potentially class player for the future.  I'll be very annoyed if he's sold.  Lets put the Jose Enrique songs into overdrive in future to let the management know that we want him to stay.

Guest Howaythetoon

I thought he was quite average today myself, several of his team-mates were urging him to stop with the long balls or floated balls, especially Viduka while on the touchline Kinnear and Hughton were constantly barking commands at him throughout the game. Lennon gave him a tough time and he gave away needless possession far too much. Attacking wise he was poor. Of the 4 defenders he is the weakest link. Masses of space for him to get in past N'Zogbia at times and he didn't go for it. He's not as bad as some make out though and I quite like him, he has a good character and seems to enjoy it here.

I thought he was quite average today myself, several of his team-mates were urging him to stop with the long balls or floated balls, especially Viduka while on the touchline Kinnear and Hughton were constantly barking commands at him throughout the game. Lennon gave him a tough time and he gave away needless possession far too much. Attacking wise he was poor. Of the 4 defenders he is the weakest link. Masses of space for him to get in past N'Zogbia at times and he didn't go for it.

He's not as bad as some make out though

You really lost me :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

I thought he was quite average today myself, several of his team-mates were urging him to stop with the long balls or floated balls, especially Viduka while on the touchline Kinnear and Hughton were constantly barking commands at him throughout the game. Lennon gave him a tough time and he gave away needless possession far too much. Attacking wise he was poor. Of the 4 defenders he is the weakest link. Masses of space for him to get in past N'Zogbia at times and he didn't go for it.

I'm describing his performance today, not him the player you divvy.

Guest Howaythetoon

HTT being controversial?  :yikes:  :lol:

I'm just reporting how I saw it, I like Enrique and consider him a decent player if not a bit of a mixed bag.

I couldn't watch the match myself due to having to go to fucking work :(  But nearly everyone seems to think he was either very good or excellent.  Hopefully I can see the full game myself sometime and decide for myself.

Guest LucaAltieri

Lennon molested him a few times, but he had a decent game otherwise.

Twice. Once in the first 10 minutes (ok, 10 seconds). Once in the last 10 minutes.

Enrique definitely won the battle overall.

Thought he had an exceptional game today, in light of the fact he was somewhat harshly booked after 10minutes and facing Lennon...apparently Spurs' best player but didn't seem to have an end product for me.

His passing is 9/10 spot-on, has fantastic vision with his long-range passing and can put the ball on a six-pence (see 1st half passes to Owen and Ameobi), good game all-round and I was particularly impressed with his (and Beye's) understanding of each other and covering when one went to the other flank (usually after corners).

Cleaned up well at the back two or three times.

Guest firetotheworks

Thought he had an exceptional game today, in light of the fact he was somewhat harshly booked after 10minutes and facing Lennon...apparently Spurs' best player but didn't seem to have an end product for me.

His passing is 9/10 spot-on, has fantastic vision with his long-range passing and can put the ball on a six-pence (see 1st half passes to Owen and Ameobi), good game all-round and I was particularly impressed with his (and Beye's) understanding of each other and covering when one went to the other flank (usually after corners).

I feel like Im turning into a bit of an Enrique fanboy, but even I wouldnt say that! Passing is definitely his weak point imo. Usually because he tries to make telling passes too often instead of simple ones.

Whoever called him an unpolished gem is spot on. He CAN do the business, he just needs some patience and confidence and we'll have a good player on our hands.

I just hope Kinnear buys someone to push him, rather than to replace him.

I feel like Im turning into a bit of an Enrique fanboy, but even I wouldnt say that! Passing is definitely his weak point imo. Usually because he tries to make telling passes too often instead of simple ones.

The majority of his passes were 4/5-yard simple ones to Zog/Butt/Guthrie but without his attempts to do something a little less safe and obvious, we'd have nothing coming out of the back. Colo passes it to Given or Bassong, Bassong passes to Butt or Enrique, Beye only passes it to Jonas (or if he's double-marked, then Butt might get a touch). Enrique actually links up midfield, defence and attack and varies his passing.

(I mean 9 out of 10 attempts...he finds his man...usually with his short-passes tho)

Guest firetotheworks

The majority of his passes were 4/5-yard simple ones to Zog/Butt/Guthrie but without his attempts to do something a little less safe and obvious, we'd have nothing coming out of the back. Colo passes it to Given or Bassong, Bassong passes to Butt or Enrique, Beye only passes it to Jonas (or if he's double-marked, then Butt might get a touch). Enrique actually links up midfield, defence and attack and varies his passing.

(I mean 9 out of 10 attempts...he finds his man...usually with his short-passes tho)

Ah right, I thought you were rating him 9 out of 10 for his passing.

Joe Kinnear's frustration could be seen and heard yesterday. As his Newcastle United side seemed destined to squander another lead and draw a third consecutive home match, Kinnear's edginess was visible as he hopped from foot to foot in anguish. It was also audible in the expletive directed at Jose Enrique when he took the Spanish left-back off in the 88th minute. Kinnear did not know then that this was the game's defining moment.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/duff-brings-newcastle-perfect-gift-1207417.html

Wtf?  The lads obviously a confidence player,  and if thats true,  I am fucking annoyed at Kinnear after Jose hardly had a shocker today.

I wouldnt read too much into that.  Thats the Independants 'opinion' on the substitution.  Personally, I think Jose was subbed because he was on a yellow card, Lennon has a bit more stamina than Enrique and that Kinnear believed that Jose may get 'done' at the later stages.