Jose Enrique out for at least three weeks with hamstring injury

Guest BooBoo

I think the key point that comes across from that interview is that him, Coloccini and Jonas obviously have a lot in common and it makes for a happier and more settled trio if they are all still here. All of them are pretty crucial this season in such a small squad.

I'm amazed, and delighted, that we managed to hold onto all three. Like you say, they all seem to get on and Enrique & Jonas combine really well down the left.

While Coloccini isn't woth what we paid for him, he's still a lot better than the journeyman or rookie we'd probably have replaced him with. All three are top players in this league and all are vital positions where we don't have much cover. Sounds like there is an esxcellent team spirit throughout the squad and if it's filtering down to the foreign contingent all the better.

JOSE ENRIQUE admits he is more used to preparing to take on the mighty Barcelona than Blackpool.

However, with the Bull now looking almost unbeatable in the Coca-Cola Championship, he says Newcastle feel confident enough to take on anybody at the moment.

The former Villarreal ace once took a walk with his La Liga team-mates down Las Ramblas in Barca, but United’s players will take in the Irish Sea air with a backdrop of the Blackpool Tower and twinkle of the town’s illuminations to boot – all of it a far cry from Enrique’s days in Spain and the Nou Camp, the Mestalla or the Bernabeu.

Yet Enrique told the Chronicle: “At the moment, if you put Manchester United in front of us we would be confident of beating them, maybe even Barcelona!

“We must be focused on beating Blackpool. I don’t know Blackpool because I have never played against them before.

“It is the same as the other games – it is a difficult game, as we play away.

“It is more difficult for us, but I think we can win the game.

“We have a confidence now, and we know if we want to go to the Premier League, we can win all the games.”

Enrique did not want to leave Newcastle in the summer because he is settled on Tyneside, but the £6m defender, who played in the Champions League with Villarreal, has so far undoubtedly been one of the best players of the season at second tier.

He feels this quality is oozing throughout the United side with 496 minutes elapsed since the last league goal snuck into the Toon net.

He added: “We have good players for the Championship.

“If we score goals in the games we keep clean sheets, then we win the games.

“It is important, and when we keep a clean sheet, it is because of the tactics.

“They are very good now.

“When you keep five clean sheets in six games, you know the team is defending well.”

However, the Blackpool fans will be desperate to see that record dented tonight, and will whip up a spicy atmosphere with the famous Bloomfield Road drummer waiting to do his stuff for Newcastle’s visit.

Yet Enrique is not intimidated by any away crowd.

He said: “Against Cardiff, it was very good because the stadium was full.

“The atmosphere in Championship games is very good.

“The fans were singing and speaking all the game, but I don’t listen to that.

“I can only speak for myself, but after five or 10 minutes, I don’t listen to the fans. We play the game.

“The atmosphere is not a problem.”

• 4 weeks later...
Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

On his way to the mackems in January according to NOTW.  :kasper:

The same paper reckons Smith's off to Bolton for £2m in January

Jose Enrique hits out at Newcastle team-mates

Oct 19 2009 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

JOSE ENRIQUE has hit out at his Toon team-mates after the sub-standard show at Nottingham Forest.

And he warned that defeat against Scunthorpe United tomorrow night will be unacceptable.

The Spaniard was one of the few United stars who shone at the City Ground on Saturday night.

And he feels that Newcastle’s excellent start to the season is in danger of disintegrating if they don’t address the recent capitulation at the top of the Coca-Cola Championship.

And with defeats in the next two games against Scunny and Doncaster Rovers certain to attract national ridicule and unwanted publicity just six years after Champions League football at Newcastle, Enrique let fly after the loss against the Trees.

He told the Chronicle: “It’s time that we woke up now.

“We have been top of the table, which is good, but we need to wake up because we haven’t been playing very well.

“We can't think we’re in the Premier League - it’s not true.

“We've played only 12 games, and there are 34 games left.

“The team haven’t played very well in the last three games – we have two points from nine.”

can’t afford to let the Tyneside public down at Glanford Park tomorrow night, with defeat against the Iron likely to produce a reading of Hereford proportions on football’s Richter scale.

Enrique said: “We need three points.

“If we want to stay top of the table, we need to win the games.

“We've been lucky, because in the last three games, the results of other teams were not very good, but the luck will not always be with us.

“If we lost the next two games, we will be in third or fourth position in the Championship.”

The general feeling from the Toon dressing room, though, was that if United can start the way they finished at Forest when they head to Scunthorpe, they can hit back in style.

Enrique said: “I think we have a good enough team to win these games, but we need to play the 90 minutes like we did in the second half against Forest.

“I think we lost because we didn't play very well in the first half – in the second half we played much better.”

Meanwhile Mike Ashley has claimed he has slashed the asking price of the Magpies to £80m and urged Geordie businessman Barry Moat to come up with the money.

He said: “Barry Moat has been driving me mad for two years.

“If he wants to buy the club, he has got a one off opportunity to come up with the cash, £80m up front.”

Ashley also hinted he will appoint Chris Hughton as boss but he will have the final say on transfers.

He said: “Chris Hughton deserves a shot at the title — he has done a great job.

“But if I keep the club I will have the final say on players. I am the one who has to fund the club.”

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/10/19/jose-enrique-hits-out-at-newcastle-team-mates-72703-24964268/

Guest neesy111

Jose Enrique hits out at Newcastle team-mates

Oct 19 2009 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

JOSE ENRIQUE has hit out at his Toon team-mates after the sub-standard show at Nottingham Forest.

And he warned that defeat against Scunthorpe United tomorrow night will be unacceptable.

The Spaniard was one of the few United stars who shone at the City Ground on Saturday night.

And he feels that Newcastle’s excellent start to the season is in danger of disintegrating if they don’t address the recent capitulation at the top of the Coca-Cola Championship.

And with defeats in the next two games against Scunny and Doncaster Rovers certain to attract national ridicule and unwanted publicity just six years after Champions League football at Newcastle, Enrique let fly after the loss against the Trees.

He told the Chronicle: “It’s time that we woke up now.

“We have been top of the table, which is good, but we need to wake up because we haven’t been playing very well.

“We can't think we’re in the Premier League - it’s not true.

“We've played only 12 games, and there are 34 games left.

“The team haven’t played very well in the last three games – we have two points from nine.”

can’t afford to let the Tyneside public down at Glanford Park tomorrow night, with defeat against the Iron likely to produce a reading of Hereford proportions on football’s Richter scale.

Enrique said: “We need three points.

“If we want to stay top of the table, we need to win the games.

“We've been lucky, because in the last three games, the results of other teams were not very good, but the luck will not always be with us.

“If we lost the next two games, we will be in third or fourth position in the Championship.”

The general feeling from the Toon dressing room, though, was that if United can start the way they finished at Forest when they head to Scunthorpe, they can hit back in style.

Enrique said: “I think we have a good enough team to win these games, but we need to play the 90 minutes like we did in the second half against Forest.

“I think we lost because we didn't play very well in the first half – in the second half we played much better.”

Meanwhile Mike Ashley has claimed he has slashed the asking price of the Magpies to £80m and urged Geordie businessman Barry Moat to come up with the money.

He said: “Barry Moat has been driving me mad for two years.

“If he wants to buy the club, he has got a one off opportunity to come up with the cash, £80m up front.”

Ashley also hinted he will appoint Chris Hughton as boss but he will have the final say on transfers.

He said: “Chris Hughton deserves a shot at the title — he has done a great job.

“But if I keep the club I will have the final say on players. I am the one who has to fund the club.”

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/10/19/jose-enrique-hits-out-at-newcastle-team-mates-72703-24964268/

he's quite correct for most of that article, except the last part of it, obviously

think he should keep his mouth shut,  he was one of the worst players on Saturday, especially in the first half.  When Jose is good he's very good but when he plays like he did in the first 30 mins against Forest he's like a pub player,  he was so sloppy it was untrue and his fault Smith got booked again.

think he should keep his mouth shut,  he was one of the worst players on Saturday, especially in the first half.  When Jose is good he's very good but when he plays like he did in the first 30 mins against Forest he's like a pub player,  he was so sloppy it was untrue and his fault Smith got booked again.

One of the worst?

:lol:

Enrique loses the ball sometimes because he tries to keep the ball on the deck rather than lump it long and high. Coloccini is often critcised for fannying about too long on the ball as well, but at least they are attempting to play the ball from the back. It's a shame some of those in front of them don't show for the ball a bit more then we might actually see some passing rather than players losing the ball because of lack of options.

Enrique loses the ball sometimes because he tries to keep the ball on the deck rather than lump it long and high. Coloccini is often critcised for fannying about too long on the ball as well, but at least they are attempting to play the ball from the back. It's a shame some of those in front of them don't show for the ball a bit more then we might actually see some passing rather than players losing the ball because of lack of options.

I think so too. Having Jonas on certainly helps him regardless of how Jonas is playing. Lovenkrands on the left is just silly and he should never ever be considered to play there. He has been doing a few silly things this season but for me Enrique is our best player now.

He's spot on, definitely hasn't hit out at anyone though. :lol:

I thought he was the best player on the park on Saturday. I don't think it will be too long before he scores his first goal for us too.