Chelsea 0 - 0 Newcastle United - 22/11/08 - post match reaction from page 15

Dave

Why is it that we are so variable defensively from game to game?

we've not had that much of a settled back four have we? also, in games in which we're attacking more and committing people upfield the likes of Coloccini get singled out more and overall get less help from other players than they would today. that's not to take away from what was an excellent defensive job though.

If Taylor gets fit for the Smogs and is put straight back in the team ahead of Bassong for no other reason than he's fit again, or if Enrique is taken out and Bassong is shifted to LB, then Kinnear wants a slap.

Motivation, man. It's plagued us for a good couple of years now. You raise your game against the better teams - it's just natural i think. Aye sometimes it hasn't happened, but i'd say that's the reason.

re:Enrique, well done to him and Kinnear for keeping him in the side.

I thought after last week's horror show, he'd be out of the side but JK kept him in and I thought he looked the part - slipped up a few times but he was playing against some fucking quality forwards.

Didn't see the first half hour (couldn't bring myself to watch) but from what I saw (plus a couple of highlights at half time), the entire back five was outstanding. If they could do that every week we'd be laughing because we'll always score goals.

Yeah. Always... :rolleyes: :doh:

About 6 of our last 8 or 9 games or summat, we've scored two goals. That's never been the main problem.

That back four is very impressive defensively when I've seen them start together this season. Mind it was more of a back nine today.

Fair play though, well done lads.

FYP

we've not had that much of a settled back four have we? also, in games in which we're attacking more and committing people upfield the likes of Coloccini get singled out more and overall get less help from other players than they would today. that's not to take away from what was an excellent defensive job though.

If Taylor gets fit for the Smogs and is put straight back in the team ahead of Bassong for no other reason than he's fit again, or if Enrique is taken out and Bassong is shifted to LB, then Kinnear wants a slap.

absolutely. bassong is just what coloccini needs, and vice versa. obviously they'll make mistakes along the way as both are new to the league but give them a run of games and i think they'll be formidable.

Guest firetotheworks

re:Enrique, well done to him and Kinnear for keeping him in the side.

I thought after last week's horror show, he'd be out of the side but JK kept him in and I thought he looked the part - slipped up a few times but he was playing against some f***ing quality forwards.

Aye I thought he played with a clever head today. His closing down on crosses in particular was very good.

Maddening. Delighted at the point, but disappointed we've come to this. Eleven behind the ball all game.

Given: 9

Beye: 8

Colo: 7

Bassong: 7

Enrique: 7

Guthrie: 6

Butt: 4

Jonas: 5

Duff: 6

Owen: 5

Martins: 5

Ameobi: 6

N'Zogbia: 6

Two shots the entire game. Not one on goal. Thought we'd be run off the road when JK took Martins off. Just the opposite. We really settled down and defended well once Ameobi came on.

The backline was immense in the second half. Didn't think Bassong or Colo was all that good in first half.  Enrique had a very good first half. Beye in the second. Got a bit frustrated with people praising Bassong in the first. He went completely missing on a few occasions-- but recovered or had his ass saved by Given.  Both Colo and Bassong were rock solid in the second.

I'd be tempted to partner Bassong with Taylor, have Coloccini replace Butt and let him sit in front of the back four.

That's how I've got us set up on Fifa 09

Like I said, no reason to believe we'd get a thrashing, you bunch of pessimistic bastards :lol:

Yeah whatever. :lol:

We don't have a single point at Stamford Bridge in the last 8 seasons.  Even when we deserve a point we get ripped off with offside goals so I'm not expecting any points this time.  But all this thrashing talk is just getting on my tits, there's no reason to expect anything of the kind.

Definitely didn't expect a draw but at least I wasn't one of the "thashing is inevitable" doom mongers :)

Didn't see the first half hour (couldn't bring myself to watch) but from what I saw (plus a couple of highlights at half time), the entire back five was outstanding. If they could do that every week we'd be laughing because we'll always score goals.

Today being only the second game this season we haven't scored in.

absolutely. bassong is just what coloccini needs, and vice versa. obviously they'll make mistakes along the way as both are new to the league but give them a run of games and i think they'll be formidable.

I agree, they played really well together and should only get better with games.

I'd be tempted to partner Bassong with Taylor, have Coloccini replace Butt and let him sit in front of the back four.

That's how I've got us set up on Fifa 09

That sounds awful mate, in reality.

I'm playing the Keegan 4-3-3 team, except with Gutierrez, Barton and N'Zogbia in midfield and Colo in for Faye (obviously). Fuck defending.

Today being only the second game this season we haven't scored in.

Which kind of proves my point, but anyway...perhaps "always" means something different to some people.

I wish i wasn't so apathetic, it's just so blatantly obvious that we're gonna lose next week at Smogland. :lol:

We've just picked up the point I'd have been happy with there. :smug:

Aye, agreed. We've put ourselves in a situation again, where we've got a good result and we have to 'quantify' it, or summat-or-other, with the next two games. We failed miserably last time (Villa win, then Fulham/Wigan). Six points from the next two games are attainable with the quality we've got.