Chelsea 0 - 0 Newcastle United - 22/11/08 - post match reaction from page 15

Dave

I think this performance shows how the weak link really is the midfield, which is what alot of us on here have been saying for a while now.

Our defence played brilliantly today with constant pressure. A midfield with some actual ball retention in it would ease so much pressure and help create more goals at the other end. I continue to be impressed with Coloccini & Bassong. Enrique didn't have a bad game at all either.

Agree with this - the midfield are very poor at retaining the ball which brings extra pressure on to the defence.

We got away with it today, but when only ONE defender has an off-day, you lose games unless the midfield keep the ball better that ours does.

Backs to the wall stuff, but got a point which was deserved for the spirit and determination of the defence -

unfortunately, it wasn't a point that would have removed some pressure because most of the teams around us also picked up points ; Hull have proved that they are probably going to stay just out of the relegation scramble, Stoke continue to pick up crucial points at home, and Fulham did as well as NUFC at Liverpool.

The game at Boro is even more crucial now, and the club cannot afford to lose this if we are to retain reasonable hope of avoiding relegation ; also, home wins MUST start coming more regularly.

I think this performance shows how the weak link really is the midfield, which is what alot of us on here have been saying for a while now.

Our defence played brilliantly today with constant pressure. A midfield with some actual ball retention in it would ease so much pressure and help create more goals at the other end. I continue to be impressed with Coloccini & Bassong. Enrique didn't have a bad game at all either.

I couldn't agree with this more. Let's hope that Ashley and Wise were watching the game and decide to invest some money in the club in January. At the very least, they should spend the money they received for Milner.

I got frustrated with some of Enrique's passing, but it would help if the midfielders tried to get into space to receive the ball. I would like to see two new central midfielders come January.

Guest Heneage

he's got everything physically does Bassong and looks a very astute reader of the game for a young lad. Very cynical and no-nonsense, like him a lot.

I agree to be honest I really like him. Sadly his astute purchase won't be recognised by the media.

I couldn't agree with this more. Let's hope that Ashley and Wise were watching the game and decide to invest some money in the club in January. At the very least, they should spend the money they received for Milner.

I got frustrated with some of Enrique's passing, but it would help if the midfielders tried to get into space to receive the ball. I would like to see two new central midfielders come January.

the problem with Enrique is, he's doing it because Joe's probably told him to hoof it up, because when he was playing under Keegan he wasn't doing that he'd usually pass it to Barton when he was playing or Butt, I just think he's doing that with Joe's blessing.

thought it was a close call between bassong and guthrie for mom. the latter had an excellent second half, despite that its easy to see two quality cm players completely changing the side. if we had of given them butt and guthrie in return of deco and lampard we could have seen a different game. two cm are a bigger priority than cb or lb.

thought it was a close call between bassong and guthrie for mom. the latter had an excellent second half, despite that its easy to see two quality cm players completely changing the side. if we had of given them butt and guthrie in return of deco and lampard we could have seen a different game. two cm are a bigger priority than cb or lb.

Do you think they would go for that?  Sounds like a fair swap to me.

Guest Howaythetoon

Shearer not asked about the managerial situation... very interesting if you ask me.

I thought the same too. And he kept saying "we" :lol:

He wants the job if you ask me and is waiting like we all are for the club to be sold.

Guest timmy boy

A new entry in my top 5 away trips of all time. A quality good time in London from start to finish.

From the stream it sounded like the away end was in fine voice throughout.

Guest Mighty Toon Army

A new entry in my top 5 away trips of all time. A quality good time in London from start to finish.

It was cracking.  The newer songs are finally starting to catch on now which certainly improves our piss poor songbook.

Guest Heneage

It was cracking.  The newer songs are finally starting to catch on now which certainly improves our piss poor songbook.

Newer songs?

Guest Mighty Toon Army

Gutierrez song

Don't wanna go home

This club is my club

A fair few old skool chants got a decent airing as well.

Guest firetotheworks

Anyone else thought about what the score was and had to pinch themselves? It doesnt feel quite as remarkable as it should I think :undecided:

Anyone else thought about what the score was and had to pinch themselves? It doesnt feel quite as remarkable as it should I think :undecided:

I'd say it's not as remarkable, because when you look at the players, and how we went about drawing at Old Trafford & Goodison Park, we're capable of going to these places and getting a result. Given, Beye, Coloccini, Gutierrez, Owen & Martins wouldn't look out of place in a top-six side, and when you add to that very good performances on the day from Bassong & Guthrie, then we should be looking to get a result at these places and not be overawed. If we could just cut out some of the sh*tty home performances (Hull, Blackburn, Wigan already this season), then I still don't see any reason why we can't at least push for a top 8-10 spot.

I thought Bassong was IMMENSE.  I've been pro-Taylor but Bassong and Colo made for a very nice pairing.  Granted the plan was defensive and perhaps that forced the back line to concentrate much more because outside of a couple of Beye head farts in the first half the back line was soooo much better.

Yeah the support from only 1500 was very good throughout. Towrads the end there was a raucous "SHIT GROUND! SHIT FANS!" followed by "40,000 Muppets" to which the home fans just gawped and offered no reply.

Comical as well, how long it took the home fans to realised Joe Cole's goal had been disallowed. A good ten seconds of celebrating before the meek sit down.

Yeah the support from only 1500 was very good throughout. Towrads the end there was a raucous "s*** GROUND! s*** FANS!" followed by "40,000 Muppets" to which the home fans just gawped and offered no reply.

Comical as well, how long it took the home fans to realised Joe Cole's goal had been disallowed. A good ten seconds of celebrating before the meek sit down.

Your text had me in stitches, but in a rather confused fashion.

I wasn't expecting it at all..."that's pride for you motherfuckers"  ;D Great stuff! :coolsmiley:

No doubt we will hear all about it against Stoke... O0

Yeah the support from only 1500 was very good throughout. Towrads the end there was a raucous "s*** GROUND! s*** FANS!" followed by "40,000 Muppets" to which the home fans just gawped and offered no reply.

Your text had me in stitches, but in a rather confused fashion.

I wasn't expecting it at all..."that's pride for you motherfuckers"  ;D Great stuff! :coolsmiley:

No doubt we will hear all about it against Stoke... O0

Haha. I blame the pre match pints. I though we were going to win the league!