Chelsea 0 - 0 Newcastle United - 22/11/08 - post match reaction from page 15

Dave

Shame we couldn't hold off Wigan for 5 minutes.

Aye, today was a good battling draw against one of the best teams in the world but I would rather we beat Wigan last weekend & lost this game, that is how it would be if I was football god & had the power to influence such things.

Guest nufc_kev

And Man City.

And not been utterly shite against Blackburn, West Ham, Fulham and Hull

I only saw the second half.....

Given - 9. Pulled off some very good saves and commanded his box from corners expertly. Class performance.

Beye - 8. Nowt got past him, aerially and on the ground. He was everywhere at times, even on the left-wing helping Enrique out against Bosingwa/Cole.

Coloccini - 8. Dominated the air and seemed in full control.

Bassong - 8. Dittor, really. Can't remember him doing anything wrong.

Enrique - 7. Had his work cut out against some class attackers but covered well, his positioning was excellent i though.

Jonas - 6. Quiet, and a bit clumsy defensively, but he helped us get forward and looked like the only player capable of doing so, really.

Butt - 5. Didn't do us any favours today, tbh.

Guthrie - 5. Same as Butt for me, surrendered possession two or three times. The centre-mid just put the defense under pressure a lot.

Duff - 5. He's master at putting the defense under pressure though. Standing ten yards off players - no pace, no energy, no passing ability. Got back okay though.

Owen - 6. Difficult to rate, he was never in it and it wasn't really his fault.

Martins - 6. Ditto.

(Shola) - 6. Difficult to rate the strikers like i say, he didn't do owt wrong when he came on.

(Zog) - 6. Looked pacy, interested.

Like i say, only saw the second half. There was only a couple of real weak links for us today. Was all about the defense, naturally.

Aye, today was a good battling draw against one of the best teams in the world but I would rather we beat Wigan last weekend & lost this game, that is how it would be if I was football god & had the power to influence such things.

In terms of points, yes, that would have been better. But in terms of our confidence and looking forward to our next few games, a draw today at a contending team will be of much more benefit.

This is the first match in a very very very long time that I have not been at, watched or listened to, got dragged to town Ceimbo shoppimg and I have got man flu. Feel like fkn death I do, got back to the cart half time, flicked the radio on heard it was 0-0 was chuffed but never thought it would last.

Really well done lads, a crackng result, must have showed great heart.

In terms of points, yes, that would have been better. But in terms of our confidence and looking forward to our next few games, a draw today at a contending team will be of much more benefit.

If your on about confidence, when Oba scored against Wigan the team was pumped up & the ground was rocking. When they scored it killed it & it felt like a defeat for the team & the fans. So the confidence gained today may only  fill the void of the draw that felt like a defeat last week.

Looking at Sunday/Monday's games, I haven't got a clue which results I'd prefer. We looked f***ed whoever wins/draws them.

My thinking

Spurs lose keeps them in the shite & we +1 away from them.

Scum lose means we are in there slipstream ready for the overtake & hopefully it will be one of the Hammagpies that scores the winner.

Wigan lose keeps them below us.

This is the first match in a very very very long time that I have not been at, watched or listened to, got dragged to town Ceimbo shoppimg and I have got man flu. Feel like fkn death I do, got back to the cart half time, flicked the radio on heard it was 0-0 was chuffed but never thought it would last.

Really well done lads, a crackng result, must have showed great heart.

same for me. turned off the phone, no telly, no radio. flicked ceefax on at 5pm. say the 0-0 and was pleasantly amazed.

back into the thick of things next week as making the trip down to Boro.

Newcastle were very good," admitted Scolari.

"They played for a draw and got one. They didn't come here to play for a win - just a draw.

"They were better than us because they were only thinking about a draw and got one, while we were thinking about a win and didn't.

"Newcastle did not have one shot on goal in 90 minutes. We had 70% of the possession but we didn't score a goal.

"If we had scored, maybe we would have scored three or four but we lost two points.

"Sometimes it is more easy to win away than at Stamford Bridge. When you are away, the home fans pressure their team to attack us, but you are at home, they don't want to attack us.

"I said congratulations to the coach and his team. They had a strategy to draw and it worked. We have now lost nine points at home.

"We had two or three chances to score and we didn't - this is football."

Joe Kinnear was given a further month in charge by owner Mike Ashley yesterday and said the draw 'felt like a win'.

Kinnear will now be in charge until the end of December and if the club is not sold before then, he will be trying to strengthen the squad in the January transfer window.

A delighted Kinnear said: "Scolari congratulated me which was very kind of him.

"I make no apology for playing for a draw. In the last three days we've been planning to force Chelsea to play in front of us, which I thought we did very well.

"Although Chelsea had more possession than ourselves, they didn't create a clear-cut chance really. Everything was long shots and Shay Given pulled off a world-class save.

"It is probably the best team performance we've had away from home this year. Even though we drew 2-2 at Everton, I would say this is the best performance.

"We got bodies in the way and the two centre-halves were magnificent. They got their just rewards today.

"We dug in there and it feels like a win in the dressing room. We drew with Wigan at home and that felt like a loss, but this feels like a victory."[/quote]

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/premiership/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/08/11/22/SOCCER_Chelsea_Quotes.html

:smitten:

Whole team was outstanding, Coloccini is an absolute rock and Bassong looked a perfect partner for him. Thought Butt and Guthrie were excellent, bar a few of Butt's usual pass-without-looking balls which went stray.

As for Chelsea, shit ground, shit fans, enough said.

Impossible to pick any one of the back five over any other, except to say that the two best right-backs in the PL played today; Beye was back to his best, Bosingwa is excellent.

Perplexed about JFK taking Jonas off and leaving Duff on though.

I only saw the second half.....

Guthrie - 5. Same as Butt for me, surrendered possession two or three times. The centre-mid just put the defense under pressure a lot.

Like i say, only saw the second half. There was only a couple of real weak links for us today. Was all about the defense, naturally.

Two things:

1) If you only saw the second half then you probably shouldn't rate players, because...

2) You'll probably do something dumb like give Guthrie a 5.  He really did a great job for a young player today, did a lot of breaking up and while it's not fancy, it's effective.

Overall, the match wasn't pretty but I'll take it.