Sébastien Bassong (now retired)

Crumpy Gunt

Bassong is very good, but you've got to give credit to the intelligent partner he has who sweeps and allows Bassong to do the Hollywood defending.

Take a bow Coloccini.

All very reminiscent of some top defensive partnerships such as Ferdinand and Vidic in how the pair complement each other.

Take note Steven Taylor - trying to play both sweeper and charger for several years has made a mess of our defensive unit.

He's been absolutely outstanding since moving into centre back.

Was he a Wise signing?

Don't give Wise credit, coz he's like proper nasty and stuff.

Exactly.

I really dont think KK would have picked up Bassong on his own knowledge. But he's the Messiah so its wrong to criticise him. Lets hope he gets a new rattle and dummy for Christmas.

**Ducks for cover**

To think this boy is what 21?

He will continue to improve and with further experience goodness knows how good he could become.

Could anchor our defence for the next 10 years.

Could be partnering Coloccini for the next 5-8 years too.

A few good performances and he should be leading the backline for years to come? Christ on a bike.

Impressive so far yeah but Jesus, give it some more time. If he's still playing impressively in 3 months time then aye, he's earned the praise.

A few good performances and he should be leading the backline for years to come? Christ on a bike.

Impressive so far yeah but Jesus, give it some more time. If he's still playing impressively in 3 months time then aye, he's earned the praise.

you have to understand this is newcastle united so to have a defender playing this well is quite unusual.

Guest firetotheworks

I think next season will be most telling. Managers will have analysed how he plays and strikers will be able to play in a certain way accordingly. However I cant see a weakness in his game as yet. Really pleased with him, but I'll be able to settle knowing we have a class centre back if he's as good this time next season. The signs are very promising though.

I hope the club give him a new contract in the Summer, not just because he'll only have 2 years left on his current deal but because he deserves one.

I bet he's on around £10,000 at the moment.

Have we not made that mistake before though with young players losing form soon afterwards?

I hope the club give him a new contract in the Summer, not just because he'll only have 2 years left on his current deal but because he deserves one.

I bet he's on around £10,000 at the moment.

Have we not made that mistake before though with young players losing form soon afterwards?

Like who?

What a great signing, more vindication for the scouting sytems, superb find by Wise and Vetere, long may it continue. ;)

I know you're properly looking for a bite on that one. So I won't post what you wanted people like myself to post.

What a great signing, more vindication for the scouting sytems, superb find by Wise and Vetere, long may it continue. ;)

I know you're properly looking for a bite on that one. So I won't post what you wanted people like myself to post.

How's he wrong though, in all honesty? :undecided:

:lol: Was it the wink that gave it away?!

This arguments been done to death.  I'm not a smug person by nature, but chirst I'm feeling vindicated in my defence of the system.

:lol: Was it the wink that gave it away?!

This arguments been done to death.  I'm not a smug person by nature, but chirst I'm feeling vindicated in my defence of the system.

Actually, I'll respond to this one. Scouts going out and recommending a player, then having him over for a trial and the manager deciding that he wants to keep him isn't a new thing, or it wasn't invented by Mike Ashley's wonderful system, despite what people would have you believe.

Anyhow lads...lets not get distracted.  He's our player, he's putting in good shifts and is looking very very competant within the back four.  Suffice to say, given he is only 21, cost us fuck all and has looked at home along side Colo is very promising.  

Lets hope it continues.