Sébastien Bassong (now retired)

Crumpy Gunt

Bassong prefectly represents the way we should operate as a club. The likes of Owen perfectly represent the opposite

Being fair mate, its easier said than done. Bassong was a real find. Its not easy to find players with potential like his for so cheap unless you are willing to raid relegated sides. While I do however agree in principal trophy signings like Owen should be stopped and we should go for a younger approach.

The term trophy signing is such a cliché, especially when it comes to someone like Owen. Although at the time I would have rather had Anelka.

I wanted us to go for Yakubu, would have been laughed off the forum at the time though. Some probably still would laugh at that suggestion.

Yeah, I've been mocked a few times for suggesting Yakubu & Cisse in the past.

The term trophy signing is such a cliché, especially when it comes to someone like Owen. Although at the time I would have rather had Anelka.

I was the same about wanting Anelka, he would have been a much better signing than Owen.

Could have seen Anelka bombing here to be honest, especially under Souness. One of the mardiest cunts in football with one of the least diplomatic managers? Recipe for disaster if you ask me.

Could have seen Anelka bombing here to be honest, especially under Souness. One of the mardiest c***s in football with one of the least diplomatic managers? Recipe for disaster if you ask me.

I know this is hindsight but Souness would have been gone long before Anelka.

Bassong prefectly represents the way we should operate as a club. The likes of Owen perfectly represent the opposite

Being fair mate, its easier said than done. Bassong was a real find. Its not easy to find players with potential like his for so cheap unless you are willing to raid relegated sides. While I do however agree in principal trophy signings like Owen should be stopped and we should go for a younger approach.

I wanted us to go for Yakubu, would have been laughed off the forum at the time though. Some probably still would laugh at that suggestion.

Why would people laugh at a player like Yakubu? He has one of the best striking records in the Premiership over the last five or so years.

Guest Heneage

Ok then, players with a high reputation. More established players like Owen, players whoare considered top quality and cost a hell of a lot because of it.

Ok then, players with a high reputation. More established players like Owen, players whoare considered top quality and cost a hell of a lot because of it.

I think you need to strike a balance though. You can't just bring in a team full of cheap talent from abroad. You need established quality players in the mixer as well. It's going to be some time before we sign a player of Owen's ability again though.

Why would people laugh at a player like Yakubu? He has one of the best striking records in the Premiership over the last five or so years.

I don't think he is a very fashionable player and I doubt many would have gone for him over Owen at the time.

In regards to Bassong, I am worried how scared he is of Davies, could have cost us already and someone needs to have a word with him at half time because he is doing stupid things which I doubt will go unnoticed. Davies has had his say to the ref quite a few times so he is going to be keeping an eye on them.

Think he's doing alright today TBH. Davies is the definition of a difficult CF to play against, and he's challenged him well. No centreback is going to dominate him completely.

There is a difference between struggling and deliberately bringing someone down in the box. We were very lucky not to have a penalty against us today. If that was against us I would be very pissed off we didn't get a penalty.

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1580299,00.html

Seb Revelling Key Role

By Craig Hope

SEBASTIEN Bassong admits that he is revelling in the extra responsibility in light of his emergence as a commanding figure at the heart of Newcastle United's backline.

The 22-year-old is fast becoming many fans' pick as their player of the season following his summer switch from FC Metz.

But, with an upshot of Bassong's eye-catching form meaning he is now one of the first names down on the Magpie teamsheet, those amplified levels of expectation are not something which will be weighing heavy on the Frenchman's young shoulders.

"I can feel that I have more responsibilities and that my team-mates expect more of me, and to be honest I like this role," said the Clairefontaine Academy graduate.

"I fancy having responsibilities, it's part of my personality, and when you play in my position, it's natural to have a key role.

"Of course it took me some time to settle into the team and into the Premier League. I played at left back at the start, but I did fancy it as well.

"When you move to such a competition you must prove yourself, work hard and show your humility. I always thought that I was made to play Premier League football."

Guest Heneage

I think you need to strike a balance though. You can't just bring in a team full of cheap talent from abroad. You need established quality players in the mixer as well. It's going to be some time before we sign a player of Owen's ability again though.

Arsenal might argue that, they very rarely broke the bank bar Arshavin.

I'd much rather have a player of a bit lower ability who actually plays games.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article5854476.ece

From The Times March 6, 2009

Bassong has been a rare positive in another gruelling season for Newcastle. Signed from Metz last summer, the 22-year-old Frenchman has been heralded as a success story for the recruitment department that is led by Dennis Wise, the executive director (football), but Bassong has credited Kevin Keegan, the former Newcastle manager, for his discovery. “I came to Newcastle because my agent knew Kevin Keegan and my agent told him he had me and that I was a good player at Metz,” he said. “Kevin had seen me play one or two times for France Under-21 and he asked my agent if I could come for a trial.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article5854476.ece

From The Times March 6, 2009

Bassong has been a rare positive in another gruelling season for Newcastle. Signed from Metz last summer, the 22-year-old Frenchman has been heralded as a success story for the recruitment department that is led by Dennis Wise, the executive director (football), but Bassong has credited Kevin Keegan, the former Newcastle manager, for his discovery. “I came to Newcastle because my agent knew Kevin Keegan and my agent told him he had me and that I was a good player at Metz,” he said. “Kevin had seen me play one or two times for France Under-21 and he asked my agent if I could come for a trial.”

Pisses all over the myth that Keegan had become too 'out-of-touch' - ie. no longer a holder of the mechanics of being able to spot promising players, he no longer had the contacts in the player agent merry go round etc - thanks his lengthy hiatus from professional football.

A myth that was peddled here.

Not by everyone though, which is the key.

Never said that. My last comment was not a intended to a blanket statement. They know who they are

Came across that way like. They might know who they are but I bet they don't alter their stance at all :laugh:

Coming to think of it, it's not even funny really.