Abdoulaye Faye

Willow

• 4 months later...

Just been named Stoke Fans' and Players' Player of the Season.

Whether it was Keegan, Wise, Ashley or whoever who agreed to sell him, it's been a shocker of a decision.

Would have saved us about £8m had he stayed. Real shame, even could have done a job in midfield at times this season.

He's been a hell of a lott better for them this season than he were for us last season IMO. He had a crazy number of "Fouls Committed" last year but has cut down on that this year. Looked much more comfortable this year.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that he really isn't such a good defender. He's a bruiser with a knack for kicking the shit out of people and occasionally getting the ball.

He's been a hell of a lott better for them this season than he were for us last season IMO. He had a crazy number of "Fouls Committed" last year but has cut down on that this year. Looked much more comfortable this year.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that he really isn't such a good defender. He's a bruiser with a knack for kicking the shit out of people and occasionally getting the ball.

He was our best defender last year and those of us who insisted it was a mistake to sell him have been proved utterly right. It's cost us £10m to replace him with a worse player.

He was our best defender last year and those of us who insisted it was a mistake to sell him have been proved utterly right. It's cost us £10m to replace him with a worse player.

On the other hand you could argue that Bassong was the replacement for Faye...

Guest Stephen927

A Stoke fan I was talking to a month or two back before the Stoke away game was saying he couldn't believe we let him go. Even said Amady Faye was decent when called upon too.  :kasper:

Guest Phil K

Faye is just a petty minded spiteful ars*hole

Decent player, I gather he was a pompous knobend though

Faye is just a petty minded spiteful ars*hole

Decent player, I gather he was a pompous knobend though

Well I'm sure we've got a lovely set of lads here now and a great job they are doing bless 'em.

Everyone suddenly thought he was shit and should be sold purely on the basis that James McFadden tore him a new one at St Andrews.

Everyone suddenly thought he was shit and should be sold purely on the basis that James McFadden tore him a new one at St Andrews.

It's more a bad testament to our other CBs that he's considered a good player IMO.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that he really isn't such a good defender. He's a bruiser with a knack for kicking the s*** out of people and occasionally getting the ball.

Everyone suddenly thought he was s*** and should be sold purely on the basis that James McFadden tore him a new one at St Andrews.

IMO he was a defensively good player who wasn't a natural centreback. Sort of player who could win a tackle, was big and strong, so on and so forth, but in terms of reading the game as a centreback he was often poor for me. The McFadden goal was a prime example, caught ball watching and unware of where his man was, and allowed McFadden to steal in front of him.

Would have been a quality player in the anchor midfield role. The few games that he played there, he looked a right beast in the middle, because on top of being a strong defensive player, he had pretty decent close control and a sound first touch. Unless he spat his dummy unreasonably, I think it's typical of this club that we never gave him a chance in that position despite a few promising games, because after all that was Nicky Butt's position, and as N'Zogbia would testify, we aren't a club who'll use current ability and performance levels, as opposed to character and past reputation, to pick players in the team.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that he really isn't such a good defender. He's a bruiser with a knack for kicking the s*** out of people and occasionally getting the ball.

Everyone suddenly thought he was s*** and should be sold purely on the basis that James McFadden tore him a new one at St Andrews.

IMO he was a defensively good player who wasn't a natural centreback. Sort of player who could win a tackle, was big and strong, so on and so forth, but in terms of reading the game as a centreback he was often poor for me. The McFadden goal was a prime example, caught ball watching and unware of where his man was, and allowed McFadden to steal in front of him.

Would have been a quality player in the anchor midfield role. The few games that he played there, he looked a right beast in the middle, because on top of being a strong defensive player, he had pretty decent close control and a sound first touch. Unless he spat his dummy unreasonably, I think it's typical of this club that we never gave him a chance in that position despite a few promising games, because after all that was Nicky Butt's position, and as N'Zogbia would testify, we aren't a club who'll use current ability and performance levels, as opposed to character and past reputation, to pick players in the team.

He did play very well in centre midfield IIRC against Chelsea of all teams. Tough to say whether he was the long term answer there but he would have provided the athleticism and strength that we have lacked for years now.

Guest Somebody_Told_Me

We'l be the ones having the last laugh anyway when he gets relegated with those c***s

:doh:

;D ;D ;D Oh no you won't!! ;D ;D ;D

Sorry to piss take the genuine toon fans  :coolsmiley:

Guest sittingontheball

I was under the impression he did want to play for us, rather than it being a "not good enough" decision.

looking at it objectively he is probably one of the buys of the season, for any club. he is quite limited as a footballer but his attributes - physicality, aggression, leadership, danger from set pieces, have been sorely missed. 

I was under the impression he did want to play for us, rather than it being a "not good enough" decision.

Think it came out that he wanted to move back south, but seemed to be more a falling out between him and Keegan. Most people at the time couldn't see the logic behind losing him outside of any personal issues.

Absolutely 100% spot on. He made one rick and suddenly he was "average".

Very good defender at Premiership level, particularly in the air where there's only really Vidic that can say they're better than him.

If I were in an "I told you so" mood, which I'm not, I bet the thread where we flogged our best defender for a pittance is a hoot.

He's a big miss. When I think about what kind of player we could do with in our defence now he springs straight to mind. A defence of Beye, Faye, Bassong and Enrique would be rock solid. Still be exposed by the fucking awful midfield mind.