Michael Owen gets injured; rejoice!

Willow

If it's relegation he's worried about, why don't we stick in a clause saying that if he signs it before January and we do go down, we let him go for Free in June anyway. That means we're not really missing out because if he doesn't sign the contract, we'll lose him for nowt anyway, and if we do stay up, then his worry of him signing a new deal and ending up in the Championship hasn't came to fruition.

I imagine he will already have a relegation release clause, I guess they're quite common for players of his stature.

David Craig on SSN now saying he hasn't rejected the offer, and the contract is with his advisors.

his advisors, who are using it as a lever to get a good deal at Everton.

Everton are fcking skint, no way could they match 90k-a-week or top it.

And besides, if you look at the table we are only 6 or 7pts behind them.

Everton are broke like, can't see them coming in for him.

Spurs i reckon will pay money to take him now, and offer a decent wage but top it up with a big signing on fee.

Citeh could be in for him from the off, or could see big names knocking them back left right and centre so he's backup come the window closing.

David Craig on SSN now saying he hasn't rejected the offer, and the contract is with his advisors.

his advisors, who are using it as a lever to get a good deal at Everton.

Everton are fcking skint, no way could they match 90k-a-week or top it.

And besides, if you look at the table we are only 6 or 7pts behind them.

he is reportedly willing to take a pay cut to go to Everton, his boyhood team, im sure i heard him once , years ago, say hed like to end his career at Everton.

The cynical (realistic?) side of me thinks that he's only been offered so much because Ashley won't be around to foot the bill for much longer.

He doesn't foot the bill anyway.  However you might be right in a round about way.  He might only be making the offer because Newcastle United with Owen is a more attractive asset then Newcastle United without Owen.  If he was staying then perhaps he'd be more interested in cutting the wage bill then keeping the value of the club as high as possible.

If it's relegation he's worried about, why don't we stick in a clause saying that if he signs it before January and we do go down, we let him go for Free in June anyway. That means we're not really missing out because if he doesn't sign the contract, we'll lose him for nowt anyway, and if we do stay up, then his worry of him signing a new deal and ending up in the Championship hasn't came to fruition.

I imagine he will already have a relegation release clause, I guess they're quite common for players of his stature.

Yeah they've normally got a fee involved though. I reckon putting one in saying if we go down in May, then he can walk for Free.

There is a flipside to all this, of course its a generous offer in our eyes but can anyone think of a time where a player has signed a reduced-pay contract extension?

In a game where people get salary increases for turning down advances from rival clubs and salary increases for international call ups i dont think this offer will sit well with Owen, i can see this being rejected to be honest.

There is a flipside to all this, of course its a generous offer in our eyes but can anyone think of a time where a player has signed a reduced-pay contract extension?

In a game where people get salary increases for turning down advances from rival clubs and salary increases for international call ups i dont think this offer will sit well with Owen, i can see this being rejected to be honest.

Then again, how many players have been given a £100+k contract at 25, and then still offered £90k aged 29?

That normally happens because the other clubs are willing to pay those higher salaries though, this is a unique issue due to his age and the monstrous amount of money we're supposedly paying him already.

SSM reading the Chron :lol:

Michael Owen promises to keep on scoring

Dec 17 2008 by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

Michael Owen

MICHAEL OWEN has pledged to keep bringing goals to Newcastle while his advisors study the clubs latest contract offer to their prize asset.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/12/17/michael-owen-promises-to-keep-on-scoring-72703-22497051/

Then again, how many players have been given a £100+k contract at 25, and then still offered £90k aged 29?

Ballack?

Ballack?

He played more than 50 games in 4 years.

Will Owen see it that way though? Do you think he'll consider himself lucky to get that offer in what he (and others) will consider the peak of his career?

To be fair to Owen he's a world class striker and not a player you can honestly ategorically doesnt warrant a £100k wage in the first place, it'd be a massive thing for him to be takng a pay cut whilst players like Lampard and Terry are getting a pay rise AND longer contracts offers at older ages. How do you think that will bode for him?

That normally happens because the other clubs are willing to pay those higher salaries though, this is a unique issue due to his age and the monstrous amount of money we're supposedly paying him already.

Can you envisage a situation where Owen will be on the free transfer list with no teams going near him becaseu of his wage? How often does the oppurtunity to sign a 1 in 2 striker come about?

In todays game £100k isnt a unique thing, even Sol Campbell is on £90k...

Will Owen see it that way though? Do you think he'll consider himself lucky to get that offer in what he (and others) will consider the peak of his career?

To be fair to Owen he's a world class striker and not a player you can honestly ategorically doesnt warrant a £100k wage in the first place, it'd be a massive thing for him to be takng a pay cut whilst players like Lampard and Terry are getting a pay rise AND longer contracts offers at older ages. How do you think that will bode for him?

People get salary increases because other clubs will pay them that amount, Owen started on a wage far more then anyone else were willing to or even could pay.  He's a world class striker IMO that would be worth £100,000 a week if he wasn't injury prone he's not stupid so he'll realise that has to be taken into account.  Remember, we're not just talking anout £90,000 a week, more then anyone else will pay IMO, we're talking about a 4 year contract which means he'll still be on £90,000 when he's 33.  For a player with such major injury problems that's an incredible deal.  If he doesn't see it that way then I hope we don't offer him a penny more.

Can you envisage a situation where Owen will be on the free transfer list with no teams going near him becaseu of his wage? How often does the oppurtunity to sign a 1 in 2 striker come about?

Correction, he's a one in two striker who's played just over 50 games in three and a half seasons.

True, but in the current economic climate wages are going to be coming down. Other than Man City, no one has money to burn any more, Chelsea's moving to a sell to buy policy reflects that very clearly.

People get salary increases because other clubs will pay them that amount, Owen started on a wage far more then anyone else were willing to or even could pay.  He's a world class striker IMO that would be worth £100,000 a week if he wasn't injury prone he's not stupid so he'll realise that has to be taken into account.  Remember, we're not just talking anout £90,000 a week, more then anyone else will pay IMO, we're talking about a 4 year contract which means he'll still be on £90,000 when he's 33.  For a player with such major injury problems that's an incredible deal.  If he doesn't see it that way then I hope we don't offer him a penny more.

I think theres a of a prestige issue here more than a monetary one. Lampard is a prime example of that. The injury record is a moot point ot be honest Mark Viduka being a prime example of that as well.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4658000,00.html

Bruce rejects Owen rumours

Wigan boss Steve Bruce has dismissed rumours suggesting he is planning a move for Newcastle striker Michael Owen.

Owen's future has been the subject of constant speculation with his current contract due to expire in the summer.

Wigan tried to sign Owen before he joined Newcastle on his return from Real Madrid and reports have suggested they could rekindle their interest in the England international when the transfer window reopens next month.

However, Bruce concedes it is highly unlikely they would be able to afford a deal for Owen.

"I know the chairman is a fan of Michael Owen, but I don't think we could afford his wages," Bruce told the Wigan Evening Post.

"As far as signings are concerned, we haven't got anything really signed and sealed as people have been led to believe.

"I think this is arguably as good a team as this club has ever had, I can say that genuinely after being here more than a year.

"So it's difficult to improve it at the moment, very difficult, so we have to be careful with who we bring in."

bluelaugh.gif @ the image SSN's have provided for the story

http://img.skysports.com/08/09/800x600/steve-bruce_1225212.jpg

I think theres a of a prestige issue here more than a monetary one. Lampard is a prime example of that. The injury record is a moot point ot be honest Mark Viduka being a prime example of that as well.

Its not a moot point at all, had Viduka not been such a cripple we'd have had a much harder time signing him given his quality at the time.  Both prestige and money come into it, but Owen's not going to accept a much lower wage from the likes of Everton, Spuds, Villa or Wigan for prestige reasons :lol:  The top 4 won't want him either.  Man City might be his only option, simply because they could offer him the same deal or better.  Will they?, probably not IMO.

The cynical (realistic?) side of me thinks that he's only been offered so much because Ashley won't be around to foot the bill for much longer.

He doesn't foot the bill anyway.  However you might be right in a round about way.  He might only be making the offer because Newcastle United with Owen is a more attractive asset then Newcastle United without Owen.  If he was staying then perhaps he'd be more interested in cutting the wage bill then keeping the value of the club as high as possible.

Genius Teasy. Why would he be interested in cutting the wage bill if he doesnt 'foot' the bill? To directly contradict yourself in 4 sentences is some achievement.

Its not a moot point at all, had Viduka not been such a cripple we'd have had a much harder time signing him given his quality at the time.  Both prestige and money come into it, but Owen's not going to accept a much lower wage from the likes of Everton, Spuds, Villa or Wigan for prestige reasons :lol:  The top 4 won't want him either.  Man City might be his only option, simply because they could offer him the same deal or better.  Will they?, probably not IMO.

I never said he would, all im saying it that there'd be an element of "shame" for the 'great' Michael Owen to have to take a pay cut from the likes of 'measley' Nufc, whilst his international colleagues are doing the exact opposite. How will his pride take that?

Having a shocking injury record is a moot point how may injury prone players do you see get a pay cut becasue of their fitness record?

I came name plenty of footballers with worse injury records who havent had there pay affected, id also like to point out that Owen was injury prone before he was signed by Madrid, and the reason he hasnt played much for us is basically becasue of a freak accident or 2, not injurys in the conventional sense.