Michael Owen gets injured; rejoice!

Willow

Guest Howaythetoon

The club are only offering him this deal to save face as they know fine well he does not want to be here further than the current deal has him tied to the club, so when he does leave they can say to the fans "we tried" and Owen will foot the blame.

This kind of deal should have been offered the moment KK wanted him tied down, a time when Owen was willing to commit to more years.

This is a cynical attempt to look ambitious.

The club are only offering him this deal to save face as they know fine well he does not want to be here further than the current deal has him tied to the club, so when he does leave they can say to the fans "we tried" and Owen will foot the blame.

This kind of deal should have been offered the moment KK wanted him tied down, a time when Owen was willing to commit to more years.

Is that right.

:lol:

The evil genius.

Guest The Libertine

and this is a cynical attempt to make yourself look more childish.

Or, like I pointed out a few days ago, Allardyce had the chance early last season to offer him a deal but wanted to wait until the end of the season.

Guest Howaythetoon

Or, like I pointed out a few days ago, Allardyce had the chance early last season to offer him a deal but wanted to wait until the end of the season.

No he didn't have a chance as there was no deal to discuss really since he had 2 years left still to run, and he was right to judge Owen on his fitness at that time. The chance went and passed not long after KK went... if the club were truly wanting to keep Owen.

No he didn't have a chance as there was no deal to discuss really since he had 2 years left still to run, and he was right to judge Owen on his fitness at that time. The chance went and passed not long after KK went... if the club were truly wanting to keep Owen.

So Allardyce was right to judge Owen on his fitness yet the club should have tied him down to a contract as soon as Keegan came in, even though Owen's fitness and form had been poor since returning from his knee injury?

i think, due to some of the details that came out about length and structuring, plus the arsey statement they released to announce it, that the deal they offered owen in the summer really was a 'cynical attempt to look ambitious' and deflect pressure onto owen. but if the press are right about the length and size of the deal this one seems genuine. you dont offer 4 year deals at those rates as a pr exercise.

I know the club have made some major faux-pas' in the past, but it is amazing how cynical some of the fans are. It was the same when we bid for Rooney. It was clear that was a genuine offer by the fact it was Everton who broke the story about our initial £20m bid, then increased £23.5m offer. Same applies here. It's a genuine attempt to keep him, it's just whether he signs it that's the problem.

We've got a new higher rate tax band starting in 2011, we'd have a better chance of keeping him if we change the way he's paid and pay higher now reducing as his contract runs down.  We should look at paying him at a higher rate in the first two years when he'll be more effective anyway and drop it down for the second 2 years.

Fucking hell.  Are you after my job? :lol:

There is a flipside to all this, of course its a generous offer in our eyes but can anyone think of a time where a player has signed a reduced-pay contract extension?

In a game where people get salary increases for turning down advances from rival clubs and salary increases for international call ups i dont think this offer will sit well with Owen, i can see this being rejected to be honest.

Then again, how many players have been given a £100+k contract at 25, and then still offered £90k aged 29?

Will Owen see it that way though? Do you think he'll consider himself lucky to get that offer in what he (and others) will consider the peak of his career?

To be fair to Owen he's a world class striker and not a player you can honestly ategorically doesnt warrant a £100k wage in the first place, it'd be a massive thing for him to be takng a pay cut whilst players like Lampard and Terry are getting a pay rise AND longer contracts offers at older ages. How do you think that will bode for him?

People get salary increases because other clubs will pay them that amount, Owen started on a wage far more then anyone else were willing to or even could pay.  He's a world class striker IMO that would be worth £100,000 a week if he wasn't injury prone he's not stupid so he'll realise that has to be taken into account.  Remember, we're not just talking anout £90,000 a week, more then anyone else will pay IMO, we're talking about a 4 year contract which means he'll still be on £90,000 when he's 33.  For a player with such major injury problems that's an incredible deal.  If he doesn't see it that way then I hope we don't offer him a penny more.

You know teasy, that's probably the best thing I've seen you write, absolutely spot on.

Guest firetotheworks

So what happens if Owen accepts this deal? Its not like the offer is massively contentious. Ive heard some things, but a 'fake offer' that is coincidentally very fair, is pretty daft.

To me, it feels that both club and player are trapped with one another. Owen would like to go, but is reluctant to take the drop in salary that would follow. The club feels they have to make this extravagant offer, either because they rate him very highly (certainly more highly than I do), or because they fear a backlash from the fans if they don't make a big effort to keep him. (Or perhaps a bit of both)

It's very unhealthy all round.

Is it unhealthy for him to stay and score a load of goals for the club?

I'll bite. The object of the exercise is for the team to win matches, not for one player to score a lot of goals. How valuable Owen's contribution is to the team as a whole has been debated over and over, and I didn't want to get into that again. Personally I think we can thrive without him and the whole pantomime is bad for the club, but I concede I'm in the minority there.

I think in the end he will go. Don't think it will be as bad a loss as people think thought and we can carry on from there. I think if a fresh manager came in and had a squad without a star player as such it would be better than having somebody who knows he is the star player and who everbody looks to when things go well and things go wrong. Who knows if we will get a new manager though since it doesn't look like anyone will be buying anytime soon so perhaps it would be better if he did sign considering the current circumstances. I can see the pros and cons depending on a few different factors tbh.

Is it unhealthy for him to stay and score a load of goals for the club?

I'll bite. The object of the exercise is for the team to win matches, not for one player to score a lot of goals. How valuable Owen's contribution is to the team as a whole has been debated over and over, and I didn't want to get into that again. Personally I think we can thrive without him and the whole pantomime is bad for the club, but I concede I'm in the minority there.

Do you think we'd score more goals if we allowed without Owen in the team?

It's a pity we didn't go for the cheaper Anelka who has played over twice as many games and scored twice as many goals in the time Owen has played 56 games and scored 25 goals.

You forgot been at 3 times as many clubs.

I like how Owen gets constant stick over his apparent lack of loyalty, yet we should have bought an (unavailable at the time) player who's been at 9 clubs in 14 years. What are the odds he'd be still here scoring the goals to get us a brilliant 1 point above the relegation zone if we had somehow managed to get Fenerbahce to sell him after 6 months.

pretty zilch, but anything to have a go at the fat bastard who gave him regular european football.

Meanwhile, the knicker wetting over losing the despicable trophy signing goes on ....... I like how he picks one player that cost less money but predictably doesn't go near the numerous others who also cost less and were utter shite.

I don't believe anyone can have reservations about signing Micheal Owen. Unbelievable. He must think we were better off with the likes of Billy Whitehurst  mackems.gif

correct

correct

So was it a cynical attempt to look ambitious when we bid for Rooney?

Owen out of Toon fears

By SHAUN CUSTIS and STEVE HAWKES

MIKE ASHLEY has admitted there is nothing he can do to stop Michael Owen quitting Newcastle.

And the Toon owner hinted Owen could join Manchester City.

Ashley said: “We’d love Michael Owen to stay. Newcastle want him to stay but we have to look at what we can spend when other clubs like Man City do not.

“The guy at City is about 1,000 times wealthier than me. I haven’t got his kind of money.

“If Man City want Owen, there’s nothing I can do about it.”

Ashley, who still wants to sell Newcastle, formally offered the striker a new three-year deal worth £80,000 a week.

But Owen has shown no inclination to sign it and is expected to leave on a free when his contract runs out in the summer.

Toon boss Joe Kinnear has publicly stated Owen, 29, will not be sold in next month’s transfer window even though Newcastle could make money from a fee.

Kinnear believes, with Newcastle threatened by relegation, the club would be mad to let their best player leave for a few million and risk £50m by dropping out of the Premier League.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article2049180.ece

Owen out of Toon fears

By SHAUN CUSTIS and STEVE HAWKES

MIKE ASHLEY has admitted there is nothing he can do to stop Michael Owen quitting Newcastle.

And the Toon owner hinted Owen could join Manchester City.

Ashley said: Wed love Michael Owen to stay. Newcastle want him to stay but we have to look at what we can spend when other clubs like Man City do not.

The guy at City is about 1,000 times wealthier than me. I havent got his kind of money.

If Man City want Owen, theres nothing I can do about it.

Ashley, who still wants to sell Newcastle, formally offered the striker a new three-year deal worth £80,000 a week.

But Owen has shown no inclination to sign it and is expected to leave on a free when his contract runs out in the summer.

Toon boss Joe Kinnear has publicly stated Owen, 29, will not be sold in next months transfer window even though Newcastle could make money from a fee.

Kinnear believes, with Newcastle threatened by relegation, the club would be mad to let their best player leave for a few million and risk £50m by dropping out of the Premier League.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article2049180.ece

:lol:

It takes 2 people to put 190 words together for The Sun.