Michael Owen gets injured; rejoice!

Willow

While 90k sounds like what we should offer as a reasonable deal, it is pretty obvious that Owen can get a 120k+ deal from other clubs due to free transfer.

Actually, it's not. Clubs don't just go offering 120k for 4 years to a 29 year old just because it's a "free transfer."

He's not getting better terms at any team not named Manchester City. So it's up to him whether he'd rather have the money here or UEFA cup glory with another club.

Personally? I think Owen knows this is the best deal he's going to get from anywhere. What's the point going to Spurs/Everton/Villa for significantly less money?

Unless Villa gets into the CL this year and offers him a contract, or Man City fails in their bids for Villa, Drogba, Zlatan, Henry, and Eto'o and needs to go for plan F, I think he's going to sign.

I doubt we'd offer him 90k a week.

With his fitness issues, 90k a week for 4 years is an enormous commitment, I really doubt many clubs would be prepared to pay that.

That's what, the sharp end of 20m over 4 years? God.

While 90k sounds like what we should offer as a reasonable deal, it is pretty obvious that Owen can get a 120k+ deal from other clubs due to free transfer.

Actually, it's not. Clubs don't just go offering 120k for 4 years to a 29 year old just because it's a "free transfer."

He's not getting better terms at any team not named Manchester City. So it's up to him whether he'd rather have the money here or UEFA cup glory with another club.

Personally? I think Owen knows this is the best deal he's going to get from anywhere. What's the point going to Spurs/Everton/Villa for significantly less money?

Unless Villa gets into the CL this year and offers him a contract, or Man City fails in their bids for Villa, Drogba, Zlatan, Henry, and Eto'o and needs to go for plan F, I think he's going to sign.

With his fitness issues, 90k a week for 4 years is an enormous commitment, I really doubt many clubs would be prepared to pay that.

Yep, its a fcking top offer if true and not many will offer him that.  If any.

Yep, its a fcking top offer if true and not many will offer him that.  If any.

There's only Man City & us that I can see offering him anything like that over a 4 year contract. 

Guest The Libertine

i hope this offer has a deadline. if he hasnt signed by a certain date (ie. soon) then we should retract the contract. im one of owen's biggest fans but if he's going to be stringing us along waiting for other offers for the next 6 months to then leave on a free and leave us with no replacement then i'd rather we cut our losses, let him leave on a free and started looking for a summer replacement asap.

if he signs it by the end of the year then i'll be delighted of course.

At 29 years old a four year deal of that much per week is a cracking offer, will he knock that back? I do not think he will, he may try to hold out for a bit more money, never accept the first offer blah blah blah.

He may listen to other offers from the clubs after him, lets face it he would be daft not to but who is going to match what we have offered him.

What a stupid comment Libertine, Owen has always proved that he will give his utmost in all situations, so releasing a player we could get money for and who is even valuable in terms of goals this season would be akin to shooting yourself in both feet and your ballsack.

i hope this offer has a deadline. if he hasnt signed by a certain date (ie. soon) then we should retract the contract. im one of owen's biggest fans but if he's going to be stringing us along waiting for other offers for the next 6 months to then leave on a free and leave us with no replacement then i'd rather we cut our losses, let him leave on a free and started looking for a summer replacement asap.

Agree with that. If he's not going to sign this or something very similar we should accept it and put all our resources (and the money) into finding someone else for the next few years. They probably wouldn't be as good but at least they'll be here.

Aye 1st Jan sign by then or thats it, we cannot piss about waiting for him, mind to be fair he has had to wait this long for an offer from the club.

If he is going though we need to know as soon as so we can look to replace him, I just worry though that Owen is not the kind of lad you can push and pressure in that way.

i think the problem is our situation for him to sign is not the money... remember we sticked with ashley which mean the we still at mess and turmoil atm. 90k is bloody good offer and i guess owen realize that also...

i think he will stick with us until the end of the season then he will look another offer unless our club already sold and having more prospective future...

Agree with that. If he's not going to sign this or something very similar we should accept it and put all our resources (and the money) into finding someone else for the next few years. They probably wouldn't be as good but at least they'll be here.

I'd be very very surprised if he signs before January. He, like any person has to consider whats best for him and not whats best for the club so if that means gauging yours options come January, then so be it.

To be fair, with the situation how it is, i wouldnt be surprised if the club are already scouting for replacements, im sure they'll not allow themselves to get into a position where they're totally unprepared for an Owen rejection.

Look at how hard the club has to work to persuade him to sign in the first place and we are in a much bigger mess now than we were then..

Yeah but his situation is different as well.  He's 29 now, not 25 and a £90,000 a week contract taking him up to his 33rd birthday is an absolutely amazing offer.

At 29 years old a four year deal of that much per week is a cracking offer, will he knock that back? I do not think he will, he may try to hold out for a bit more money, never accept the first offer blah blah blah.

He may listen to other offers from the clubs after him, lets face it he would be daft not to but who is going to match what we have offered him.

To be guaranteed to be paid at least £90kpw at 33 in football is cracking for a player who's missed 2.5 seasons out of the last 4, no matter what the talent.

It must be making him think.

Can understand him wanting to leave, if this was us playing for any other club we'd want out too, especially if you are a player capable of winning trophies.

Look at how hard the club has to work to persuade him to sign in the first place and we are in a much bigger mess now than we were then..

Yeah but his situation is different as well.  He's 29 now, not 25 and a £90,000 a week contract taking him up to his 33rd birthday is an absolutely amazing offer.

Especially with all the early season sales on at the minute.

Guest The Libertine

What a stupid comment Libertine, Owen has always proved that he will give his utmost in all situations, so releasing a player we could get money for and who is even valuable in terms of goals this season would be akin to shooting yourself in both feet and your ballsack.

"let him leave on a free" as in "let him leave in the summer on a free" and not "release him from his contract".

If it's relegation he's worried about, why don't we stick in a clause saying that if he signs it before January and we do go down, we let him go for Free in June anyway. That means we're not really missing out because if he doesn't sign the contract, we'll lose him for nowt anyway, and if we do stay up, then his worry of him signing a new deal and ending up in the Championship hasn't came to fruition.

The cynical (realistic?) side of me thinks that he's only been offered so much because Ashley won't be around to foot the bill for much longer.

I'd like to think it's a sign that Ashley is ready to invest in the squad.... :hmm:

We'll see I suppose.