Sam Allardyce signs 3-year contract with Blackburn Rovers

Optimistic Nut

GRAEME SOUNESS was last night poised to win the great Blackburn Rovers managerial lottery after Paul ince was axed.

Former Rovers boss Sou has been out of football since being sacked by Newcastle two years ago.

But he has retained strong links with the club since leaving Ewood in September 2004 for St James’ Park.

He insisted last night that he had received no approach — but he will be slugging it out with former Bolton boss Sam Allardyce when Rovers bigwigs start making their moves this morning.

Steve McClaren, who also missed out to Ince in the summer, will again come under consideration by the Ewood board today.

They are hoping to have their man in place by Saturday’s visit of Stoke — or by the Boxing Day trip to Sunderland at the very latest.

Souness is still pals with Rovers chairman John Williams and is seen as a possible short-term fix to come in and steady the ship.

But he is due to jet off on a skiing holiday at the end of the week so Ewood chiefs will have to make their move quickly.

Souness revealed last year that his 3½-year spell at Rovers was his happiest time in management in England.

He said during last season: “Rovers are not the biggest club around but nonetheless the fans are so passionate about their club as was everyone that worked there.

“There’s no ego or ulterior motives — which made it very enjoyable for me.

“It helped enormously that I had a wonderful working relationship with chief executive-turned-chairman John Williams.”

Other out-of-work bosses such as Alan Curbishley will also come into the reckoning.

But the speed at which Rovers are hoping to act means it must be someone who is prepared to drop everything and start almost immediately.

Former Inter Milan boss Roberto Mancini, who is currently without a club and is keen to try his luck in England, is a dark horse candidate.

But Souey is the No 1 possibility.

Renewing a partnership which saw Rovers win promotion and the Carling Cup between 2000 and 2002 may well appeal to Williams, who is determined to move quickly.

Insisting the club are making progress, the Ewood supremo said: “Appointing a new manager is our total focus.

“We acknowledge that timelines are tight.

“We will endeavour to have a new manager in place for Saturday’s game with Stoke but there are no guarantees and we must ensure that we get the right man.”

Ince was summoned to a summit meeting with Williams at yesterday.

The former England international was just six months into his three-year contract so could go with £4million in compensation.

Williams added: “Paul will bounce back. He is a fighter and we wish him well.

“But we are second-bottom in the Prem. Our predicament is a worry and we had to make a decision in our best interests.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article2044811.ece

Guest The Libertine

Graeme Souness has ruled himself out of the running for the vacant manager's job at Blackburn.

The former Liverpool and Rangers manager has been strongly linked with a return to Ewood Park following the sacking of Paul Ince earlier this week.

However, Souness, who left Rovers in 2004 to manage Newcastle, said he is not surprised to be linked with job.

"I don't know anything and have had no contact at all from Blackburn Rovers," Souness told the Lancashire Telegraph.

"It doesn't surprise me to see my name in there but I'm not your man, I can definitely say that."

Souness' stance makes it even more likely that Sam Allardyce will be offered the job.

Allardyce, who has also been linked with the Sunderland job, is keen to get back into management and Blackburn chairman John Williams confirmed that he has one name at the top of his wish-list and hopes to make an announcement before the end of the week.

Williams said: "I do have an idea of who I want to come in and we will be working to try and make that happen over the next couple of days.

"Hopefully we will have someone in by the weekend but there are no guarantees, we have to make sure we get the right man now.

"You can't underestimate how much of a boost a physical presence could have on Saturday for what is an absolutely mammoth game.

"Everyone needs to know how big this game is as this is a time the club really has to come together."

Fat man is going to get one of these, would be nice to see him take a team down.

If i were a chairman of these two clubs i'd be going for Curbishley, think he's the best British manager available right now for free and really getting a foreign man in is such a gamble, a gamble at the bottom i doubt they can afford to take.

Fat man is going to get one of these, would be nice to see him take a team down.

If i were a chairman of these two clubs i'd be going for Curbishley, think he's the best British manager available right now for free and really getting a foreign man in is such a gamble, a gamble at the bottom i doubt they can afford to take.

This.

It still worries me that Allardyce will have learnt from his mistakes here (even though he says publically that he didn't make any) and actually do a decent job elsewhere. :hmm:

I think he's far too stubborn and pig headed for that. It could happen, but the chances are surely like his ability to adapt...very small.

I think anyone with a grain of sanity could tell that this was never, ever going to work. Regardless of his name, he was a League 2 manager. The fact he was called Paul Ince means nowt. If they'd appointed the Hereford manager there'd have been absolute uproar, and rightfully so.

which is why we shouldnt appoint shearer

Alot of people are harping on about Shearer needing some experience in the lower leagues, surely the Ince situation proves that managing in the lower leagues and being successful there doesn't mean you are cut out for top league management.

I think what has happened to Ince has no bearing on Shearer managing us.

The Allardyce hate on here makes me laugh. C'mon, he's clearly a good manager and I hope he stays unemployed cos I want Blackburn and Sunderland to go down!!

The only good thing out of him getting the Blackburn job is that he might want to buy Alan Smith and Cacapa!!!  :thup:

The Allardyce hate on here makes me laugh. C'mon, he's clearly a good manager and I hope he stays unemployed cos I want Blackburn and Sunderland to go down!!

The only good thing out of him getting the Blackburn job is that he might want to buy Alan Smith and Cacapa!!!  :thup:

that would be a help, swap him alan smith for stephen warnock  :pow:

that would be a help, swap him alan smith for stephen warnock  :pow:

Really? i bet Alan Smith's a better LB.

Guest firetotheworks

Confirmed?

BBC just calling it an "approach" so far.

An approach for Allardyce means its a done deal in my eyes. Such is his desperation.