The Roflham Lolspurs Thread

Willow

Guest Heneage

Fairly certain that Redknapp won't get the Chelsea job.

He'll just say he was offered it but didn't fancy the move South.

They're on very fragile footing IMO. Lose a couple of their best players to CL clubs now and they're right back in the 8th~14th bracket along with us and the rest of the rabble.

Just goes to show how ridiculously hard it is to break into the "top 4(or top 5 now, I suppose)" closed shop these days. It takes a ridiculous amount of luck to get there even once and even if you do, it's so easy to come right back down.

They're on very fragile footing IMO. Lose a couple of their best players to CL clubs now and they're right back in the 8th~14th bracket along with us and the rest of the rabble.

Just goes to show how ridiculously hard it is to break into the "top 4(or top 5 now, I suppose)" closed shop these days. It takes a ridiculous amount of luck to get there even once and even if you do, it's so easy to come right back down.

Bit harsh - I wouldn't say we are fragile or that it took us a ridiculous amount of luck to get there. Essentially, just when we were well placed to break through after years of building, Man City won the lottery. Then Abramovich got interested again, then Liverpool picked up a decent lottery win themselves. Doesn't sound like much good luck for us there.

I do agree that if Chelsea and City are allowed to carry on as they have been, then bracket that with Arsenal and Man U's income and it's impossible to compete on the same level. Impossible.

However, which couple of our best players do you mean? Bale and Modric? That would leave us with Van Der Vaart, Sandro, Huddlestone, Lennon and a strong supporting cast. Plus an absolute shitload of cash. I hope they stay, but can't see us falling apart next year.

Bit harsh - I wouldn't say we are fragile or that it took us a ridiculous amount of luck to get there. Essentially, just when we were well placed to break through after years of building, Man City won the lottery. Then Abramovich got interested again, then Liverpool picked up a decent lottery win themselves. Doesn't sound like much good luck for us there.

I do agree that if Chelsea and City are allowed to carry on as they have been, then bracket that with Arsenal and Man U's income and it's impossible to compete on the same level. Impossible.

However, which couple of our best players do you mean? Bale and Modric? That would leave us with Van Der Vaart, Sandro, Huddlestone, Lennon and a strong supporting cast. Plus an absolute shitload of cash. I hope they stay, but can't see us falling apart next year.

I agree that your club has engaged in some excellent practices and invested ambitiously in the past few years but it still takes a lot of luck. Plenty of clubs are run well and go nowhere, plenty invest and go nowhere. For a "normal" team like Spurs or Newcastle to break into the CL is the equivalent of flipping a coin and having it come up heads 10 times. You can reduce it to 4~5 times by running your club well, but the stars still need to align for you to make it.

Comparatively, the coin only needs to come up tails once or twice for you to drop out from that position. Say Modric and VDV are sold in the summer, the replacements turn out to be inadequate, and Bale doesn't get a full pre-season due to his injury and experiences inconsistent form. You'd be back to hanging out with the Villas, Newcastles, and Boltons.

It took you years of best practices and a lot of luck to get where you did, but it would be so easy for you to drop back out of the "closed shop."

Just commenting on how futile success seems to be sometimes for the "other" 15 teams in the Premiership. Not necessarily having a dig at Spurs or trying to take anything away from your achievements.

Spurs should have been title challengers this season, but they finished 5th. Redknapp is massively over rated.

erm, what?  it's traditional to have at least one top class striker if you're going to mount a title challenge dude

oh and 2 of your centre halves probably shouldn't be permanent cripples

Yeah they need a striker, but I expect Defoe, Pav, Crouch could get enough goals between them. I think they should be CL easily. Not miles off. They have the best midfield in the league by far.

If Pavlyuchenko had consistency they would have qualified for CL.

Yeah they need a striker, but I expect Defoe, Pav, Crouch could get enough goals between them. I think they should be CL easily. Not miles off. They have the best midfield in the league by far.

well you've gone from title challengers to should have qualified for the CL, i think they have enough quality to make the CL too - aside from the fact they don't have any decent strikers, redknapp knew this hence some of their ridiculous bids in the january window

They have the best midfield in the league by far.

Only on paper as a group of individuals perhaps. They were lucky as feck to get a point at SJP. Their goal came from one of our breaks when we had 4 onto 2.  We were not outplayed.

Modric outplayed our midfield by himself!

Yeah but he looks like a lesbian.

Maybe we should start recruiting from the gay triangle?

I'll ask Mike if he needs a fashion czar.

well you've gone from title challengers to should have qualified for the CL, i think they have enough quality to make the CL too - aside from the fact they don't have any decent strikers, redknapp knew this hence some of their ridiculous bids in the january window

I meant in the same way Arsenal were challengers, then they ended up 4th. I expected spurs to go strong until March or so then drop off. A bit like us in 2002.

It is curious, last season Defoe scored 18 league goals and crouch 8, this season 4 each is their total how exactly did their form collapse so badly

Punctuate that, Batman.

It is curious, last season Defoe scored 18 league goals and crouch 8, this season 4 each is their total how exactly did their form collapse so badly

Defoe's been out with a long term injury - only got back in January?

VDV has been off the boil since that time too and although Bale's end product isn't much kop - I still think he has a massive impact on Spurs counter attacking system and his injury has hurt them.

Defoe's been out with a long term injury - only got back in January?

VDV has been off the boil since that time too and although Bale's end product isn't much kop - I still think he has a massive impact on Spurs counter attacking system.

yes but since jan Defoe has looked hopeless most of the time and he did play a lot of games. I'm just wondering if trying to fit in VDV into spurs system has hurt more than helped over the season, last seasons Spurs side had a good balance to it but I think VDV threw that off, or I'm utterly mad and haven't a clue what I'm on about

Based on what? :lol: That lot wouldn't get 'enough' goals in our team.

• 3 months later...

its more the utter lack of fight they should be worried about, one thing to get ripped to pieces by City who's forwards are incredible but to surrender like they did

frankly I think they'd be better of selling Modric at this stage