West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

#Carroll wanted to stay at #NUFC. Handed in request after leaked they would sell him for £35m. Worth remembering B4 making JUDAS banners

from danwalkerbbc

What a load of bollocks. Funny that too, considering it was the BBC who reported that they believed Carroll wanted to move. :rolleyes:

I'm gutted at losing one of our top players, but if I try to thinking about it rationally, I don't know that I would have done it any differently if I was anyone in this situation.

Carroll has had one good season in the Championship and less than half a good season in the Premiership, and Liverpool offered us £35m for him. He's far from a proven Premier League talent and his personal issues are extremely problematic. Honestly, Liverpool are taking a huge gamble. I can't imagine that anyone in Mike Ashley's position would turn down £35m for Carroll. Is Ashley doing what's best for Ashley? Potentially. But who can honestly say they would refuse that kind of ridiculous money?

As for Carroll, he knows the writing is on the wall at NUFC. His ambitions obviously outstrip those of the club. Ashley and Pardew are looking to establish NUFC back in the top flight and aren't looking to challenge for European places and Andy feels that he wants more from his football career. Plus, he probably got offered a higher wage, and again, I don't know anyone who would turn down the kind of money that he likely got offered.

Hopefully we move forward from this. We're probably in a good position to stay up even without him, and hopefully we get some new signings in the summer with some of this money. If not...let's just keep supporting the players. This is life.

#Carroll wanted to stay at #NUFC. Handed in request after leaked they would sell him for £35m. Worth remembering B4 making JUDAS banners

from danwalkerbbc

So why was a £35m bid rejected then..

It wasnt. They released that we rejected their 2nd offer & gave no details on what that was, we may well have accepted a 3rd by that point & been calming a backlash. Its common sense.

before or after the transfer request ?

Before. Craig was already talking about how he still expected the deal was on & how we'd be spending the money in the summer. It was clearly all on still, people just got overexcited when we released that an offer had been rejected. It was never suggested that that was the end of it in any way atall, quite the opposite.

but why the transfer request ?

Andy Carroll: £35m

Torres: £50m

Arsenal's first XI: Szczesny, Sagna, Djourou, Vermaelen, Clichy, Fabregas, Song, Wilshere, Walcott, Nasri, van Persie: £44.25m

Arsenal always need two games to beat lower league teams. Tbf to Weg you can see why he never bids big when you look at how Reyes, Wiltord Arshavin & Jeffers worked out long term.

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

I don't think Andy was considering leaving until his agent tells him this morning that NUFC look to be serious about weighing offers for him from Liverpool and Tottenham and that he may have to put in a transfer request in order to get the 2x-3x salary increase that he'd probably get. 

I firmly believe he was happy at our club and willing to stay, but when the club looked so eager to shop him around, I think he realized he had to do what was best for himself in an uncertain situation, and in order to guarantee his payday, was willing to submit the transfer request to make sure he got it.

Its incredible that this scenario, which is you're opinion not fact, leaves Carroll completely blameless.

Correct, it is my opinion.  It's speculation on a situation that simply cannot be credibly taken at face value. 

For Andy, I believe that money talks and in the end, once he sees that he has a chance to win trophies at 3x the pay, he's going to do it.  When he sees the club willing to sell him, it reiterates that the club aren't serious about winning or spending.  Makes the decision to put in the transfer request much easier.

For me, the blame is primarily on Ashley, less on Carroll.  He has no intention on getting us to European football, which should be his goal.  The business model he believes in of being a shoestring club that develops young/low-wage players and selling them off may be good for his bottom-line, but for any fans who are serious about competing for Europe and building a club that aims for winning shiny silver things that go in nice glass cabinets, you should be aware very much by now that Michael Ashley does not share your ambition.

How the f*** is Carroll blameless.  He got a new f***ing contract in November.  Shearer could have joined Man Utd at various times when he was at NUFC to be the richest footballer on the planet and didn't.

Carroll's current contract is peanuts on what he's about to sign for LFC, I'd bet.  Shearer's case is a different because we were already a top team at the time, and he preferred to stay with NUFC since we were good and he was reaching the latter stage of his career.  Plus while he might have been "The Richest" at Manure, he still was getting paid a princely wage at NUFC.

In any case, I don't think it's really an argument to say "Well, Shearer stayed!" because their situations are not very similar.

Before. Craig was already talking about how he still expected the deal was on & how we'd be spending the money in the summer. It was clearly all on still, people just got overexcited when we released that an offer had been rejected. It was never suggested that that was the end of it in any way atall, quite the opposite.

David Craig has told more bullshit than anybody on deadline days.

from danwalkerbbc

What a load of bollocks. Funny that too, considering it was the BBC who reported that they believed Carroll wanted to move. :rolleyes:

Yep, that was on the radio at 5pm too.

Have to say I'm surprised by the Liverpool fans reaction. Carroll is an emerging talent, but I have to say as a Liverpool fan I would be quite nervous about this move. Very interesting to see how this all plays out.

from danwalkerbbc

It wasnt. They released that we rejected their 2nd offer & gave no details on what that was, we may well have accepted a 3rd by that point & been calming a backlash. Its common sense.

Common sense?, really? ???  Its common sense to say that we hadn't rejected a bid, because we probably, maybe, perhaps had accepted a third bid, so Carroll then asked to leave instead of just leaving and picking up his part of the transfer?  That's common sense now?

You've tangled up your own thoughts there.

Im purely saying that we simply released that we'd turned down a 2nd offer. The idea that this meant a deal was off the table or hadnt already been agreed since that point is all assumptions. David craig was making a point of saying Ashley was resisting selling as much as he could, as if he was "trying his best" & a further way to back this up would be to leak that we'd turned down 2 offers in a row. The point of all of this is to calm a backlash from fans aggravated that we'd given away our best player easily.

They were just trying to suggest everywhere that we were trying hard to keep him, which is what you're being lead to think.

The fact that we made no attempt to take any deal off the table & were quiet all day suggests the opposite.

from danwalkerbbc

whoever Dan Walker is, he is a stupid cunt. We rejected a bit of £35m  :facepalm:

Guest Wally_McFool

Fat Mike is rather good at selling the clubs assets on transfer deadline day and (conveniently) not giving himself time to get  quality replacements in, is he not!  :joker:

Andy Carroll: £35m

Torres: £50m

Arsenal's first XI: Szczesny, Sagna, Djourou, Vermaelen, Clichy, Fabregas, Song, Wilshere, Walcott, Nasri, van Persie: £44.25m

invest that Liverpool money wisely and something good can come from it.

Yep, all we need is Wenger.

Do you reckon they'd accept £35m, might be worth a shot. ;)

I'd guess that Damien Comolli, that f***ing smug c*** is the key playa behind the deal..

Tapping up Carroll was probably the first thing he did in his job.. well f***ing done you french c***

What pisses me off now is that it is f***ing Liverpool.. we had a better first team than them till yesterday.. FFS!

..And then The Glorious Cop, Stevie G The Spirit of Shankly and all that crap.. Always loathed Liverpool, more than the mackems, more than any other club and f***ing ANDY goes there. My favourite f***ing player..

Completely devastated by this.

from danwalkerbbc

Common sense?, really? ???  Its common sense to say that we hadn't rejected a bid, because we probably, maybe, perhaps had accepted a third bid, so Carroll then asked to leave instead of just leaving and picking up his part of the transfer?  That's common sense now?

You've tangled up your own thoughts there.

Im purely saying that we simply released that we'd turned down a 2nd offer. The idea that this meant a deal was off the table or hadnt already been agreed since that point is all assumptions. David craig was making a point of saying Ashley was resisting selling as much as he could, as if he was "trying his best" & a further way to back this up would be to leak that we'd turned down 2 offers in a row.

This purely suggests that we were trying hard to keep him, which is what you're being lead to think.

The fact that we made no attempt to take any deal off the table & were quiet all day suggests the opposite.

Still no explanation as to why he handed in a transfer request.

Does it not maker more sense that we actually DID reject the bids, Caroll decides he wants a payrise - hands in a transfer request, leaving little option but to accept bid?